HP EliteBook 8770w and 970M 6GB and 980M 8GB - they work!

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by artpra, Jan 13, 2016.

1. Ali K.

Ali K. Newbie

Reputations:
    Would you please run a benchmark, like sky diver and see if you throttle at high temp? I’d like to know the highest temp and corr/mem clock during that time.
    29 c is great, were you docked at that time? How many monitors were connected? What cooling panel you use under the laptop? Is it custom made?

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
  2. Ali K.

Ali K. Newbie

Reputations:
    Have anyone here tested Dell Precision M6700? I checked its cooling system. It’s like it has a better heatsink. 3 copper pipes, and copper plates on vRAMs. I don’t know about the fan and ventilation tho :-/

3. TenGauge

TenGauge Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yep I'll check that. I'm out of town for the weekend now it when I get back will do.

My 29-30 idle is undocked using built in display. When I'm docked my idle is about 50 with a single 27" monitor at 3840x2160 resolution. I know for sure I don't get throttled when using the built in display. Might be when gaming at 4k.

4. Verklärung

Verklärung Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yeah, tested mine undocked today. Was getting similar idle clocks to yours and it ran pretty cool. Like I said before, when docked I'm running 3x 2560x1440 displays at 144Hz on displayport and 1x 1920x1080 display at 60Hz on VGA. My core stays at 835MHz and memory stays at 2505MHz. Idle temp right now is 68 degrees. Really wish there was a solution to cool this better. I'm almost at the point of just wanting to pay someone with hardmodding experience to do some of those crazy extra heat pipe mods on it and shipping it out to them. If anyone knows better solutions, lmk.

5. Ali K.

Ali K. Newbie

Reputations:
    Verklärung and TenGauge what is the room temp for you guys? I was wondering if my room is a little bit warm :-/

Me too, I'm kinda leaning toward doing the same thing. My results are worse than you guys :-/ . I think the thermal paste, thermal pads and the room temperature are the main reasons here. I don't want to think the card itself has problem -_-

6. Verklärung

Reputations:
    room temp varies. but I don't think it's too much of an issue unless you're in arizona in the middle of a 120 degree summer with no AC lol. I can tell you for sure, if you're using the right drivers, and you don't have external displays connected, it should idle at around the same clocks as we've mentioned here (not my higher clocks when docked), and your idle temp should be around 30º C

@TenGauge Where did you get your dreamcolor panel btw? I want one so much.... did you get the full display assembly or just the panel? if just the panel, where'd you track down the color board?

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
  7. Ali K.

Ali K. Newbie

Reputations:
    I can't tell if the driver is the issue. I'm a newbie in term of these driver stuff. I modified the HP driver in nvhmi.ini. There were only one HP laptop on the list with the different deviceId (Mine is 1617, and it was 13D7). I don't know how to verify if that's the right driver. I believe your new driver installation didn't need any modification as you mention before. What driver had you been using before that?
    Is there any website to identify laptops and their models based on their ids?

8. Verklärung

Reputations:
    The prior posts on here gave pretty clear guides on how to mod the drivers. Not sure what you did with nvhmi.ini but I think everyone here modded nvcvi.ini as directed earlier. I listed my two driver versions (current, and prior) on the last post I made before you joined.

9. TenGauge

TenGauge Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I got it on eBay as a complete assembly, I paid ridiculous money for it, and had to send it back once for a panel replacement, the brand new panel they had put in it was defective and they didn't test it before sending it to me, the second replacement panel was perfect however.

You can read about the whole fiasco here: http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/to-dreamcolor-or-not-to-dreamcolor.809350/#post-10629692

10. Ali K.

Ali K. Newbie

Reputations:
    You are right, but nvcvi.ini belongs to Clevo and another brand. Clevo laptops are more chunky than 8770w and have better cooling system if I'm correct. I modified nvhmi.ini because it belonged to HP brand. I tried nvcvi.ini but I sensed no difference. Do you think re-installing the OS would help?