HP EliteBook 8770w and 970M 6GB and 980M 8GB - they work!

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by artpra, Jan 13, 2016.

1. TenGauge

TenGauge Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I am using IC Diamond on the GPU and new thermal pads on the VRM. Applying the proper amount of paste in the correct method is absolute essential to proper thermal transfer, the rice grain drop in the center method is the most efficient application technique.

Ali K. likes this.
  2. Verklärung

Verklärung Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I never actually replaced the pads. I used the ones that came with the heatsink, plus added some from my old heatsink for the half-sized card to get some of the chips that weren't covered by the existing pads. I did replace the paste with good ol' gelid GC extreme. Also using prema's mod.

My card runs ok but demanding games (e.g. overwatch at ultra settings) will easily put it over 90 unless I lock it to a max temp in afterburner. With less demanding games (e.g. League) I usually throttle both the mem clock and the core clock as far down as they go and that keeps it from overheating with no performance hit.

As I've mentioned before, I also purchased this (https://www.amazon.com/Temperature-...1510352566&sr=8-5&keywords=laptop+cooling+fan) which I keep plugged in and running at full speed when docked at home. Essentially a USB powered external fan that mounts to your laptop and sucks the hot air directly out of it through the vent. I've measured up to 5-10 degree drops situationally using this cooler.

Ali K. likes this.
  3. Verklärung

Reputations:
    you mind tracking your core clock, mem clock, and temps the next time you're gaming? Curious to see what temps you're hitting and when you're getting throttled if at all.

4. TenGauge

TenGauge Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Definitely.

What do your idle temps look like out of pure curiosity?

Attached Files:

5. TenGauge

TenGauge Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Granted, not the most taxing game, but settings on ultra, max AA. Gets about 20deg warmer when I am docked and playing on my 4k monitor. Capture.PNG

6. Verklärung

Reputations:
    whats your clock speeds when it's at 30?? Mine's idling at around 65 degrees at the moment...

7. TenGauge

TenGauge Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I'll check tonight, not sure but I am not using any kind of modded settings or vbios so at idle it should be throttled back a substantial amount.

8. TenGauge

TenGauge Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    135mhz core and 162mhz mem @ idle.

Attached Files:

9. Verklärung

Reputations:
    ah, I realized my gpu wasn't going down to idle speeds due to being in high performance mode in the nvidia control panel. I tried changing it to optimal or adaptive, but apparently there's an issue that others have reported as well with nvidia cards not going to full idle when multiple high refresh rate displays are connected. I'm running three 144Hz 2560p displays and one 60Hz 1080p display currently, so at idle, I'm now getting a 835MHz core and 2505MHz mem. Temp is currently sitting at 68, which feels a bit high. I'm thinking I might have to open this back up and reapply the heatsink or something. Like I said, I regularly hit 90+ temps and get throttled in demanding games.

10. TenGauge

TenGauge Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I didn't look but that's definitely true because mine usually idles at about 50 when I'm docked and displaying through my 4k monitor.