HP EliteBook 8770w and 970M 6GB and 980M 8GB - they work!

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by artpra, Jan 13, 2016.

1. Verklärung

Verklärung Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    This must be a Nvidia thing right? The windows update wouldn't affect driver compatibility with nvidia's whitelist. Surprised they're approving self modded builds like this now.

2. TenGauge

TenGauge Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    It's very strange but at the same time I never really understood the point of locking the drivers to specific model and card combo's unless it was solely because they didn't want to be bothered by people emailing about compatibility issues. I haven't checked the driver package yet but is it still using the same set of inf files or is it different now?

3. Verklärung

Verklärung Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I ran a diff on the two nvcvi.inf files I have (the one I modded in 382.05, and the latest from 388.13) and there are a TON of differences between the two, including what looks like hundreds of lines near the middle of the new file that don't exist at all in the old. In fact the new file is .2MB larger than the old.

4. TenGauge

TenGauge Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Wow. Sounds like big changes then, glad nVidia has given some power back to the consumer!

5. Ali K.

Ali K. Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey everyone,

I found this forum and this topic recently. I've got a 980M at a good deal on eBay. After following everything on this discussion I managed to install the driver. I downloaded the 388.13 driver and my windows 10 64-bit is up to date, but still I had to mod the driver. I modified nvhmi.ini since it was for HP laptops. My device id is 1617 but the only driver available in that file belonged to device id 13D7. Anyway, I installed that one. Everything looks good except the GPU throttles every time it hits 80 C. The core frequency drops significantly (from 1034 to 680-840). I've never gotten the results posted on this discussion. The first thing in the morning (the whether was cool) I opened the window and turned on the laptop, run the Sky Diver benchmark. First result was 17544. Right after that run it again, result was 16233. Run it for the third time in a row, result dropped to 14128.
    I was so excited to turn my old workstation laptop to an ultimate gaming laptop at first. Eventhough the result are far better than my old K5000M, this throttling issue bothers me because I don't get the most out of this setup. Is there anyway to overcome this issue?

Update:
    Btw, my GPU heat-sink is the full-size dual pipe one

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
  6. Eurocom Support

Eurocom Support Company Representative

Reputations:
    Did anybody try to run GTX 1060 or 1070 in 8770W? We have standard size MXM3 82x105mm GTX 1060 and 1070 available. Check pics below.

Attached Files:

Vasudev likes this.
  7. TenGauge

TenGauge Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Would have to modify the heatsink slightly, but probably not a hard task to make that card fit. I don't think it's really an issue with the size of the card as much as the 10 series cards not supporting LVDS and only eDP?

8. TenGauge

TenGauge Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I believe if you flash your card with a Prema vbios it will increase or even disable the thermal threshold before throttling.

Ali K. likes this.
  9. Ali K.

Ali K. Newbie

Reputations:
    But would that be dangerous? Clearly, the cooling setup cannot keep the GPU cool enough. I fear that melts my laptop down.

10. Ali K.

Ali K. Newbie

Reputations:
    Another question is, what type of thermal paste and pad I should use? The original pads were flexible and sticky, but I got a Arctic paste and pad which is not anything like that. I also was thinking of modifying the heat-sink and turning it to a water-cooling system. I don't know if it's worth it. Haven't done anything like that before.

@TenGauge and @Verklärung did you guys add extra pads and paste? It appears your results are better than mine.