HP EliteBook 8770w and 970M 6GB and 980M 8GB - they work!

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by artpra, Jan 13, 2016.

1. Verklärung

Verklärung Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Quick update: My friend recently purchased a zbook 17 G2 that I helped him replace the GPU and CPU thermal paste on, and I noticed something I hadn't seen before (and it never would have occurred to me to try this if I hadn't seen it here). The zbook came with a thermal pad (one of those floppy blue ones) directly under the center of the GPU between it and the motherboard. I'm curious to see how much this helps and I'll be trying it on my laptop soon.

2. ChanceJackson

ChanceJackson Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    All that means is hp intended to disipate some heat from the gpu to that section of the mobo which strongly suggests they tested it to make sure it did not cause mobo problems

3. Verklärung

Reputations:
    I mean, yeah, I get that. but the two devices have nearly identical layouts and I already have a ton of heat going through that section of the mobo.

Besides, you're suggesting that I don't try something based on the fact that the manufacturer hasn't approved it? On a thread dedicated to sticking a 970/80M into a 2012 Elitebook? On a forum filled with bios hacks, unofficial configurations, swapping parts between several generations of products, literally taking power tools to computers to fit MXM type B graphics cards into unsupported laptops and to fit 16:10 displays in 16:9 computers, and other completely over the board hard mods?

God forbid if someone here does something non-HP-tested like adding a square inch of thermal padding. :O

lol.

Last edited: May 22, 2017
  4. ChanceJackson

ChanceJackson Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    A bit of an over the top re-action to a small cationary statement from a fellow modder no?

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
  5. TenGauge

TenGauge Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I just scored a decent deal on an MSI 980m on eBay, will this card work in my 8770w currently equipped with a k4000m without much fuss?

6. Verklärung

Reputations:
    Might have to flash a different vbios as mentioned earlier here, but I can't see problems other than that.

On second thought the only other issue that comes to mind is if you happened to get a g-sync version, which I believe would make it incompatible. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

7. TenGauge

Reputations:
    Thanks for the reply. Is the only way to know if it's gsync to put it in and give it a go? Nothing was mentioned in the listing about it.

As for the vbios flashing I keep reading about. Is this something that keeps the card from working at all and needs to have a hard flash done or does the card still work but isn't recognized correctly and can be flashed while installed and running? Has anyone written a guide on how to flash a new vbios by any chance?

Thanks!

8. TenGauge

Reputations:
    @artpra Will any current version of the nVidia drivers work with this inf mod, or did you have to use a specific driver set like the icafe Chinese drivers you were reportedly originally using at the beginning of this post? I am trying to get my ducks in a row for when my 980m comes in to make a smooth transition. Thanks!

9. Verklärung

Reputations:
    @artpra's last big post explains pretty much everything. but to sum things up, I used prema's mod with latest nv drivers

10. TenGauge

Reputations:
    Did you find Prema's a necessary step to get it all working?