*HP EliteBook 8760w Owners Lounge*

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by wkuballa, May 24, 2011.

1. mirage_bg

mirage_bg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Better get 980M if it is cheaper.
    M5000M O/C very well, but it won’t work with HP vbios. Either you need to ask the seller to reflash it with Dell’s vbios or you need to do it yourself with HW programmer.
    Better get 980M. Same performance for less money.

2. ExEmEx

ExEmEx Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I do want to overclock, so silicon quality is of importance to me, I wanna make sure I'm getting the most for my money in terms of longevity even when overclocking

3. mirage_bg

mirage_bg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Even the best OC won’t give you more than 2-3% performance gain, so it is absolutely pointless.
    In the most optimistic way you will get 1300-1350Mhz core clock out of the Quadro M5000M and less memory OC because it uses Hynix modules which clock worse than Samsung’s - so 2700Mhz memory at best.
    On the other hand 980M uses Samsung modules for memory and will most probably reach 3000Mhz.
    The core in worse case will clock around 1200-1250Mhz.
    So at the end you have pretty similar performance between the two GPUs.
    Just get the one which is cheaper.

4. ExEmEx

Reputations:
    OK what about longevity in terms of silicon quality? I Want the GPU to be as stable as possible and able to withstand high clocks and temperature over long periods of time.
    What's funny is I read about a reply you posted on another 8770W thread about the M5000M you had having insane silicon quality and the overclocks you got, I guess you were lucky right?

5. mirage_bg

mirage_bg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The longevity should be the same as long as you keep the temps under 85C.
    Yes, I got extremely lucky with this ASIC quality of 77,3%. I have never seen another unit this high after this one.

6. ExEmEx

Reputations:
    What's hilarious is my CPU temperature is at least 7-10 degrees HOTTER than my GPU across the board and even gets to 95+ under OCCT power supply stress testing(which I do rarely) under regular load through moderate gaming the CPU is 74+ all the time so does this mean the CPU is at much more risk since it's thermal limits are usually lower than the GPU?

7. mirage_bg

mirage_bg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    No, the TJMAX of the CPU is 105C, for the GPU is 95C.
    It is normal for the CPU to be hotter than GPU.
    You need liquid metal thermal solution for both. This will put everything in place.

8. Savage.exe

Savage.exe Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    One time I had the same issue with my Dell GTX 770m not working awhile back. I didn't have a hardware programmer, so I enabled remote desktop and flashed the vbios that would work with the laptop that way. I actually used "Chrome Remote Desktop" but microsoft remote desktop will work better probably because you won't be forced to use 640x480 while remoted in.

9. ExEmEx

Reputations:
    Is that true only for laptops? Because on desktops the GPU is usually the component with higher TJ max how does it switch around for laptops? I also found another M5000M that's cheaper. The seller told me it has a "special" bios that works on Dell and HP laptops and he tested it on a 8770W, I was wondering if you have any insight on that.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
  10. flamebox

flamebox Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, I'm looking for some advise help and guidance, without having to read threw 163 page thread. I have an 8760w with a 5010m GPU, and want to upgrade the GPU, preferably to another Quadro, hassle free, no science projects. needs to be Nvidia Kepler for hackintosh Can any one advise?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2020