*HP EliteBook 8760w Owners Lounge*

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by wkuballa, May 24, 2011.

1. ExEmEx

ExEmEx Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Already ruled out the bios. Also modified the FX 2800M heatsink from the 8740 and put it in there, same voltage and clock speed instability over 90%. I've also noticed the 980M has TWO device IDs in the inf files , mine is 13D7 from what I remember, not sure why that is, (updated model?)

2. mirage_bg

mirage_bg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    No, you‘ve simply got the non gsync version og 980M - 13D7.
    The other one - 1617 is the gsync one.
    Our 8770W is capable of accepting both versions without problem, so it doesn‘t matter if gsync or non gsync.
    I would return the gpu to the seller.
    I am not surprised of his explanations and trying to escape return/refund, especially if he is Chinese. This bull....s with 230W not being enough are bla bla. He is simply trying to avoid refund.

3. FranekX

FranekX Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Dear mirage_bg.

I need to ask you for an advice as we had common heatsink experiences and ideas...

I've had 980M on my 8760w and since (most probably since) upgrade to bios F66 the GPU always reaches 88 degrees. Athough I did every tuning of the heatsink as You did (as an extension of my humble idea) - addition heatpipes, zbook fan mod and even when cooled from fresh air with opened case - I always get those schmucken 88 degrees - I am pretty sure I do nothing wrong with mounting I repeat same steps as before. Do you have any knowledge of possible scenario that may happen with a card after hard gaming ? howto disgnose ? temperature tolerance ? asic ?
    - I EVEN DOWNCLOCKed the memory for 500 MHz and 100MHz on the core and still it slowly gets to 88 degrees and throttles.
    - what tool can I measure real temperature with right on the core ?

- any idea, please comment anything I fell desperate really need a direction :)

regards

Last edited: May 20, 2020
  4. mirage_bg

mirage_bg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hi,

It is most probably wrong thickness of the thermal pads or uneven contact with the gpu’s die.

Can you make some photos when the heatsink is off?

5. ExEmEx

Reputations:
    I sent back the faulty 980m and am looking at an M5000M instead. The seller says it's not compatible with my 8770W, it's an N16E-Q5-A1 green board, appears to be from a Z-Book from the pictures, Is this true?

6. mirage_bg

mirage_bg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  7. Savage.exe

Savage.exe Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    So today I got all of the parts to fix my HP Elitebook 8760w since I got a clevo GTX 970M from a dead laptop. But I am 100% confused.. Windows keeps installing the drivers it's self, I thought you always had to manually edit and install the drivers.

8. ExEmEx

Reputations:
    There is no Gsync version is there?
    Okay thank you. I also just found out there is a Nvidia HPE Tesla M6 that is similar to the M5000M in design, is this card good for gaming or not?

9. mirage_bg

mirage_bg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    No, Tesla M6 is 20% slower than M5000M

10. ExEmEx

Reputations:
    OK I appreciate your feedback. I want to buy the M5000M but there is an offer for a GTX 980M that's about 15%+ cheaper. I hear the Quadros are better silicon but do they overclock just as good? Also if the M5000M has the Zbook bios will I have to blind flash it or something?