*HP EliteBook 8760w Owners Lounge*

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by wkuballa, May 24, 2011.

1. ExEmEx

ExEmEx Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have a question. Do you think the bios version has any significance to this issue I'm having. My bios version is 68IAV Ver. F. 32 from 2012 and I've read that the way the bios controls power delivery as well as heat/fan curves effects the GPU and a bios update will correct some issues.

2. mirage_bg

mirage_bg Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I would suggest to update it to the latest version.

3. ExEmEx

ExEmEx Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Okay I updated the bios, still same initial issue. What I've found is when running any benchmark besides OCCT or Furmark, Looking through GPU-Z The gpu voltage fluctuates between .9710 and 1.0430 on any gpu load past 90%. Also the perfcap reason switches from idle to power showing red and greed stripe patterns on the diagram.(as far as I've studied from GPU-Z) When the laptop shuts down those things are present. Any load under 90% and everything is fine, no perfcap and voltage is stable at 1.0430

When running Furmark or OCCT the voltage and GPU clock drop immediately from 1038-1126Mhz/1.0430V to 885.9-923Mhz/.9006-.9370V while perfcap goes from pwr to idle. No shut down occurs but the gpu voltage does fluctuate between .9006-.9370 in the beginning and then stabilizes at. .9180-.9310 shortly after. No shut downs.

Is that normal? Is the voltage supposed to fluctuate at over 90% load adding a perfcap going from idle to pwr. And the default boost clock on the Graphics Card tab in GPU-Z still shows 0. Corrupt bios perhaps?

4. mirage_bg

Reputations:
    I am starting to think there is a faulty/dying mosfet on your card
    This would explain the sudden shut downs on high voltage, when the load on the GPU is high.
    Try it with another vbios, if the problem still persist after this, the card has faulty mosfet/s.

5. bobmook

bobmook Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well my 8760w lost all it's bios information and the two most commonly touted fixes don't work .............. Basically I can get an 8770w for the cost of of a new MB but gosh......I had this machine humming along perfectly .......damn

6. mirage_bg

Reputations:
    What happened?
    You need new USB 3.0 board, new Audio board and new touch pad and fingerprint reader in order to get 8770W update fully working.

7. bobmook

Reputations:
    I powered on and was greeted by a programming mode 1 message. All previous bios information was gone (HP's do this on rare occasions, I've fixed one before) Normally the fix for this is to download an HP utility and add it to freedos boot disk, boot from that and manually add the values to your bios. However it seems mine has some foxcon motherboard the utility does not recognize...

8. bobmook

Reputations:
    I ordered an 8770w would this work in it? What else would I need? And would it work with the GTX 980m I'll be moving over....

9. mirage_bg

Reputations:
    No, this panel would not work alone without color board and cables for DreamColor (the cables are different from the ones for FullHD/HD+ normal TN screen)

10. bobmook

Reputations:
    well I knew that I would need extra stuff. I was just trying to find out *what* extra stuff so I could get some idea what it would cost :)