*HP EliteBook 8760w Owners Lounge*

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by wkuballa, May 24, 2011.

1. mirage_bg

mirage_bg Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    2ТB is the max 8770W can take.
    15mm is way too heavy for the SATA port and you will need to consider massive modifications to get it stable.
    I am using 2x2TB and 2x500GB SSD on my 8770W.

2. Savage.exe

Savage.exe Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I have given up on my HP Elitebook 8760w. It was a great system while it lasted, Couldn't keep it cause it was hard to keep cool in the environment I live in. The GTX 870M I had in it ended up dying because of the VRAM, ended up giving it back to the eBay seller.

I plan on parting it out soon, the casing is modified, On the bottom of the laptop, I added feet for raising it up more I also took out the meshes out of the bottom of the laptop for better air flow, painted the palm rest with black spray paint because the metal was fading, this is the reason for parting it out.

Here's a list of things I will be selling if you're interested.
    - Motherboard (Quad Memory Slots) Has BIOS password, WIll provide the password. $80
    - I7 2760qm $40
    - 45 W CPU cooling Solution (Dual Heat Pipe.) $40
    - 100W GPU Cooling Solutuiin (Nvidia, Dual heat pipe.) (8770w Fan incl.) $40

Can't sell on eBay because I owe them money for selling my phone. (Got screwed on a free phone sale offer, the ebay people didn't give me my money back.)
    I will probably sell it on Mercari, or Offerup. Whatever I can ship with.

Note: If this isn't allowed, feel free to take it down if you want. | Prices are in USD.

3. mirage_bg

Reputations:
    You’ve made a wrong choice for the GPU - GTX 8xxM series are extremely hot.
    My M5000m doesn’t reach 72C with 35C temp outside and ~24-27C inside.
    Keep in mind that the placement/thickness of the thermal pads is crucial.

4. valuxin

valuxin Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    For those who are interested, I've found vBIOS for M1000M that will work flawlessly with 8560w/8760w (any display version). Replaced stock 3000M with M1000M on my friend's laptop this week - works like a charm.

triturbo likes this.
  5. Savage.exe

Savage.exe Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    The CPU would run at 90c, and was only able to turbo boost to 2.6ghz. This might have also been from the 870m causing too much heat in the system. Even when I had the GTX 770m, the CPU would be around 90c. Sometimes the CPU would even go up to 94c

6. mirage_bg

Reputations:
    During the summer it is normal I would say...
    My 3840 QM also reaches 90+ but works at 3.4-3.5GHz turbo boost. Mainly when I play intensive 3D games which are very CPU dependent.
    Otherwise in games like BF or GTA, the CPU operates at 75-80C at most.

7. valuxin

valuxin Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    On 8770w you can fit 2x 15mm to HDD bay (tested by me) and 1x 9.5mm (probably 12.5mm) to DVD bay. If you need better CPU performance, go for Zbook. If you need lot's of storage (can't even imagine why someone need more that 2Tb on laptop when there are clouds and NASes) go for 8770w. The decision is like 15Tb max for Elitebook and 6Tb max of HDD storage for Zbook. 2Tb hard drives are 7.5mm thick and produce less heat.

triturbo likes this.
  8. kingofswag187

kingofswag187 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I hate cloud storage, its just a inferior option to anything else I've considered, especially considering I'd have to pay for it when I can just buy a laptop/desktop for a one time price or put a NAS together for under $50
    Ok so with the 8770W, I'd be looking at ~14TB max (2TB HDD, 2 5TB HDDs, 2TB MSATA) or in my use case around 6TB (2 2TBs, 1 1.5TB, 1 512GB MSATA) same with a Zbook.
    Can you tell me how the keyboard is on the 8770W? I'd be willing to forgo a little CPU performance if the keyboard is bearable, the Zbooks is barely just so.
    TLDR just curious about max storage for either laptop as I have a lot of spare HDDs laying around from work

9. Taraskis

Taraskis Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi all. I need help. Can I upgrade my hp 8760w graphics to quadro K3000m? And will I need to change vbios? I just don't understand anything about it, but my quadro 3000m dont work ...

10. Taraskis

Taraskis Newbie

Reputations:
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2019