*HP EliteBook 8760w Owners Lounge*

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by wkuballa, May 24, 2011.

1. mirage_bg

mirage_bg Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    This is the limit of my system:)
    Every other, more powerful GPU will be bottlenecked by the platform (CPU/MEM/Chipset) and it's not worth the investment.

Attached Files:

2. triturbo

triturbo Long live 16:10 and MXM-B

Reputations:
    It seems like it. Wonder if an XM would do any difference?

Indeed, pretty balanced, everything more is just for giggles :D Mine does 9100 FS in its current state (920XM @3.6GHz, 1070 @90W, RAM @1066), so there's that. Enjoy!

BazsiBazsi likes this.
  3. mirage_bg

Reputations:
    I heard it would in some cases. But I am not going to deal with 55W CPU anymore:)
    For some negligible difference between 1866 and 2133, I will certainly experience some great temps rising which I wouldn’t enjoy..

triturbo likes this.
  4. BazsiBazsi

BazsiBazsi Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    How is it possible that a Pascal GPU scores lower than a Maxwell in FS? Very interesting. Isn't heat management a problem with a 90W gpu?

5. mirage_bg

Reputations:
    Because of power limitations of the older HP workstations. 1070 can consume more than 150-160W, whereas our systems are capable of holding around 120-130W at max.
    I think that the older 1st gen CPU is too weak to hold on with the much newer Pascal technology and most probably bottlenecks it. Still valid for 2nd and 3rd gen CPUs.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  6. BazsiBazsi

Reputations:
    Pretty sad, running such a recent GPU in a system like this would be awesome, but this makes it almost redundant next to 980m or a m5000m isnt it. Of course, if you don't want to use Pascal features

7. triturbo

triturbo Long live 16:10 and MXM-B

Reputations:
    Higher graphics score, lower physics (like half of what 3840QM can do (don't forget slower RAM as well)) and you get this result :)

Depends on the CPU, sometimes even 90W is enough (BTW stock is 90W and runs fine). Hoping to resolve that. Needs a lot of cooling and hardware modding.

Still is. Where it's not CPU bound I can see 50-60FPS in Shadow of the Tomb Raider, but in a CPU bound (Paititi) drops to 25-30FPS.

8. mirage_bg

Reputations:
    It’s just a question of balance and if it’s worth it to spend sog much money for hardware and not using its full capabilities. But on the other hand if the 3D tasks are more GPU intensive, then it will be much better than any Maxwell GPU.

9. BazsiBazsi

Reputations:
    Indeed, the new cards might also push a better performance/watt ratio. I was about to write some remarks about not being able to use 4k res on this machine but just for the heck of it, I connected my 4k desktop screen. And for my surprise it gave a native 4k signal, the Nvidia cont panel recognises it can choose the 4k option, the monitor won't display the "non-native resolution" error message, and it looks the same as on my desktop. But going on to some resolution testing websites they give that my screen is 2k, and my refresh rate is not an even 60 hz its something like 59.96 or similar. How is this possible?
    This laptop is full of surprises ;) I might be able to use this as my main computer and will switch to a 1070 card in the future if its possible. I also found a support thread about the 4k res and its the same as me:
    https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Noteb...o-K3000m-can-I-use-a-UHD-display/td-p/5060319

My bad overlooked your post mate. Is getting the 1070 to perform well was a hard job to do? Is the CPU bottleneck that bad, have you considered 3940qm for overcoming this? It's a lot of cash for a 10% performance boost. I've checked the ram prices(currently running 800 MHz modules), those are not that crazy if someone wants the 1866 cl11 versions. I haven't even seen lower latency figures for this speed.

Cooling def could be improved, taking out the ODD, getting 2-3 heatpipes, bending them and soldering/somehow attaching them to some generic copper heatsinks from aliexpress, then same with the other end to the GPU. Cut a hole in the chassis, get a blower, then arrange them in a way that it somehow performs well, 3d print a cover for the opening of the ODD. Sound ghetto but this is what came to my mind when I disassembled and repasted it. I'm pretty interested in your plans tho.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  10. Savage.exe

Savage.exe Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Is 200 F on the CPU and GPU normal under a full load? This seems a bit too high to me. Has anyone tried liquid metal?
    *Edit Tempratures reach 200F not 190F.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019