*HP EliteBook 8760w Owners Lounge*

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by wkuballa, May 24, 2011.

1. FranekX

FranekX Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi guys.

I have observed on my 8760w that CPU temp behave very strange. Do u have any idea what could be the reason it jumps from one value to another - 45, 55, 52, 47 - it does not increase fluently and predictable as the GPU does ?? Can you tell where the CPU temp sensor is located on 8760w ?? Until I do this I see no point to close the heat-building site (also I wait for copper from China)...

2. mirage_bg

mirage_bg Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I think it’s pretty normal being this way, depending on the background tasks, mine does the same when there is any light system activity.

3. SamirD

SamirD Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have a question about the startup lights between the caps lock and num lock. According to the HP docs, something isn't right, but it seems to be working fine booting into win7.

The case took some serious hits when the seller shipped it to me to the point the left latch won't latch anymore and there are dents on the frame in the two of the corners. But it seems to be working fine aside from the odd leds upon started. Just wanted to see if anyone has some feedback. I love this thing and don't want it to suddenly die on me.

4. bodwear

bodwear Newbie

Reputations:
    Does someone has already tried to put 4 x 16GB DDR3 in a 8770w? I am wondering if with last bios we can get a 64GB machine?

5. mirage_bg

Reputations:
    No, the i7 CPU supports max 32GB.

SamirD likes this.
  6. FranekX

Reputations:

OK Finally I got THERE and please read my lips:
    The MSI GTX 980m 4GB non-DC non-GSYNC works flawlessly not-OVERHEATING using stock heatsink on 8760w, with few remarks below. Please accept my apologies for the overheating untrust seed in the former posts. What I did wrong was mounting the GPU heatsink very unprecisely. Mounting everything very equal (even I counted the turns with the 4 screws) gained that 5/6 celsius degrees I complained about. I did bought (tons of ) different copper plates and pipes from Ali, and bind them so it fitted the inner space BUT THEN I realized one thing - no matter how much copper would I inject into the laptop - IT will eventually heat-up to the same level after (let's say) 30 mins of extreme GPU . The heat is a bit like water - it needs to be released somewhere not poured in the jars. I found no reasonable space for an extra pipes transferring heat to the radiators without thermal validation of the case !!! I also did replace the fan from 8770w as MirageBG suggested - and yes - the RPMS where a bit higher but also noticed a fan center diameter difference between the fans - that makes the fan speed larger but lowers the air-sucking area !! so Eventually after numerous burn-in tests I decided to use the stock 8760w as there were no difference in temp. Going back to the GTX installation remarks:
    • notice if it has the same x-bracket - use the one from the previous card if it is different - it must not change the vertical position of the card
    • my GTX comes from MSI GT72 notebook and modding the driver is necessary here. I used the following modding manual with each Nvidia drivers update on Win7 and Win10: https://null-src.com/posts/nvidia-notebook-driver-inf-mod/post.php
    • there is no need to use a top-conductive thermal paste (like I did even tried the liquid metal !!) I used normal Gelid GC-Extreme TC-GC-03-D as it is denser
    • do not solid-close-mount the notebook after first temperature test !! wait for it. meanwhile physically take notebook in your hands and make few jumps with it ;) whatever the paste/sink has to go through to stabilize it's position - it has to give the same effect for a long time. In my case first test gave me 80 degrees but after 1 hour it just strangely dropped to 88 degrees - the paste needed time to layout itself
    • use the fresh 1 mm thermal pads I did use Gelid Thermalpad 7W/mK 120x20x1mm TP-GP03-B
    • the most important is PRECISE and EVEN mounting of the GPU heatsink - after 3rd approach I realized to count that 4 screws twists using a 'dot' tag on the screw top. I gave a bit extra space (~ 1mm) for screws #3 and #4 remembering that #1 has to be the same elevation as #2 implying #3 equal to #4 !! That combination lowered my 15mins of FurMark Burn-in temperature from 87 degrees to constant max 81 degrees - which I tolerate as a human being ;)
    • also remember that sliding off the bottom cover gives extra 4/5 degrees in hotter days
    • it is good to use docking station - it is reaaally cheap - beside other docking advantages it naturally keeps the notebook higher and fine air flow
    Gosh - what I went true to realize it was all a part of a joker's plan.

So summarizing: precise GPU installation and heatsink mounting releases the problem of GTX 980M vs Quadro M5000M TDP shift - If you mentally tolerate max 81 celsius degrees :) (no OC involved)

Last edited: May 3, 2019
  7. FranekX

Reputations:
    Or just use the Docking station :)

upload_2019-5-3_18-38-59.png

8. Savage.exe

Savage.exe Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    A 4Gb GTX 980m exsists? Normally what I find them in is 8Gb. If I were to get a GTX 980m 8Gb (Alienware) and flashed it to MSI would that work?

9. mirage_bg

Reputations:
    Yes, it would work with Dell's vbios also...no need to reflash it with MSI vbios.

@FranekX Great work! I knew you will find a way to complete your machine in the best way.

10. Savage.exe

Savage.exe Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I had a Dell (Alienware) GTX 770m before. It died on me a few days ago. (Capicider Exploded.) There was no damage to the motherboard below. To get the GTX 770m to work I had to flash the Clevo bios.
    I would buy a GTX 980m, but I don't know if it's worth it really. The GTX 980m on eBay costs like $300+ USD. Upgrading this computer will cost more than it would cost to build a desktop with all of the parts in my laptop that has to be replaced. With everything replaced I am expecting it would cost $500, With that I don't think that it's worth fixing and upgrading.