*HP EliteBook 8760w Owners Lounge*

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by wkuballa, May 24, 2011.

1. BabyBell

BabyBell Newbie

Reputations:
  2. bassman5066

bassman5066 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    If anyone has a heatsink for the Nvidia GPU (MXM 3.0B) I need one to install my GTX 780m and I can paypal you immediately for it. I am also willing to give my FirePro M5950 and its heatsink in trade if someone is interested in that. Shoot me a message if anyone has one please.

3. Cammaris

Cammaris Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi NBR,
    I´m currently thinking about upgrading my 8760w with new graphic card. Mainly to improve gaming performance and solve overheating issues.
    I´m running Windows 10 64bit
    Intel Core i7-2760QM
    16 GB RAM
    NVIDIA Quadro 4000M

Because of price/power consumption and gaming performance I have decided that I will probably try the GTX 970M.

I have read a lot of posts in this forum. Some were very helpful, but not completely assuring. Please do you have any recommendations? Is there something I should watch out for?
    For example I thinking of buying one of these: ebay, ebay2, amazon

I'm a bit concerned about the correct vBIOS version. As far as I know I don't have a DreamColor display so I need ldvs vBios - probably from MSI right?
    Another thing that might increase the cost of the upgrade unnecessarily is buying from China. No idea about the import cost but the cards I have seen in UK/EU have been at least 100usd higher.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
  4. XS850SG

XS850SG Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Viking - I've done the upgrade from an 8760 to an 8770 with the dreamcolor display. What you need to know quoted above...

5. bassman5066

Reputations:
    I highly recommend eBay seller dsyzyl for graphics cards. I bought a 970m from him for my 8740w and had issues (compatibility, not a card defect) and he immediately took a return back to China and refunded me and I bought a 780m from him for a bit cheaper instead. He even sent me my $25 spent on shipping back via PayPal when I sent him the receipt. Should be fine with vbios as well. I took that same 780m and installed it in my 8760w and it performs great. IMO a 970m would be bottlenecked by our old CPUs anyway (currently have a 2920xm in my 8760w and the 780m is plenty GPU for me).

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

6. Cammaris

Cammaris Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi bassmann5066,
    thank you for your suggestion, I will try that and report the results here.
    However the seller dsyzyl sells the card for little too much for me and I would prefer seller from EU (don´t want to pay import fees).

I found this gtx 780m card, the seller writes that it is from Clevo P370SM → N14E-GX V2.1 4G / 6-77-P370L-D02 and has vbios: 80.04.BD.00.05 do you think this version could work?
    (which vbios version do you have in your 780m from the 8760w?)

The same card from one chinese seller has vbios is 80.04.92.00.0A
    Techpowerup lists these vbios versions from different vendors - so it seems that it is also a clevo card. Do you think it might be an issue in 8760w?

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
  7. bassman5066

Reputations:
    Yeah his prices seemed to have gone up more recently. It was just a pleasant surprise to have such a good customer service experience with someone over in China when generally you cant even get ahold of someone in most cases.

I can check my vBios for you when I get home. I was worried about issues with that on my setup however in both cards I used I had no vBios issues at all so I'm thinking most will work.

Cammaris likes this.
  8. bassman5066

Reputations:
    Where do you find the vbios info? I thought it was in the system information bios screen but that only seems to show a date?[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

9. Cammaris

Cammaris Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, from the date I would gues it is the 80.04.92.00.0A. But you can find that out for example in GPU-Z. Fifth row "BIOS Version" should show the vBIOS in this app.
    [​IMG]

10. Lucious

Lucious Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    There seems to be some dirt inside the LCD panel (8760w dreamcolor panel) - Does anyone know how to remove this? Can you take apart the monitor and remove any plastic cover the monitor may have on top?