*HP EliteBook 8760w Owners Lounge*

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by wkuballa, May 24, 2011.

1. BabyBell

BabyBell Newbie

Reputations:
    That's certainly a great help for me (to have it the procedure broken down all in one post). The CPU temperature gets to 55 deg C and GPU to 65 when just browsing and running VLC. Running Valley Benchmark the gpu gets to 80degC https://benchmark.unigine.com/valley

I'm mainly running Photoshop (no gaming), hence the 32Gb RAM and you're correct in thinking I was looking at the AMD Eyefinity set-up as I have a Quadro 4000M card and after looking at the youtube video I got the Advance Docking Station and 2 Startech usb to displayport adaptors however I couldn't get it to work as it would just disable the other ports, net result was I could only have 1 extra monitor in addition to the laptop or 2 external but with laptop display disabled. According to Startech I need ones with more internal memory to avoid disabling the internal screen with the Nivida.

Do you know if the heatsink is compatible between the Nvidia 4000M and the AMD FirePro M5950?

2. Viking_2018

Viking_2018 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Firstly, the GPU Heat Sinks are not the same between AMD and nVidia, so as you have the nVidia at the moment, I regret that if changing to AMD, you would need to acquire an AMD GPU Heat Sink.

On the HP 8760w, the HP Part Numbers for the two GPU Heat Sinks are as follows:

652544-001 HP Heat Sink for use with NVIDIA graphics subsystem
    652543-001 HP Heat Sink for use with ATI graphics subsystem

The better news is I think finding used ones on eBay should not be too hard, or that costly.

Just for reference, the CPU Heat Sink is the same no matter which GPU Heat Sink is used, and that feller is below:

653629-001 HP CPU Heat Sink - for use only with computer models equipped with Quad-Core processors

Very interested in your efforts to get multiple displays going, that's my next task now that I seem to have, finally, managed to get the HP 8770w stable and running.

I will also be using Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator, so want at least two Displays, and would like three, including the Laptop's own.

In terms of HP Docks, I have both of the HP Advanced types, so also have the larger one with the Dual DP/DVI at the back, and slot for a Dock Mounted DVD Drive.

I've not had much time to play, but did read that I'd probably only be able to use DP or DVI per rear pair, but was wondering if I could drive, say, two DVI at the rear (or two DP). But I think I read that the HP 8760w/HP 8770w may only be able to feed one, not two, so it may be a Laptop rather than Dock limitation?

Our other option could be to feed one or more Displays via USB 3.0.

The USB 3.0 to, say, HDMI or DVI Adapters are quite costly I think, somewhere around GBP 40.00 a unit, but that may be worth looking at?

Say:

1x Laptop Display (DreamColor).
    1x DP/DVI Display via Dock.
    1x USB 3.0 to HDMI/DP/DVI either via Laptop's Port, or via Dock's USB 3.0 Ports.

I have read that when driving Monitors via USB 3.0, it may be wise to get a Powered USB 3.0 Hub, but the HP Dock should achieve that I'd think, i.e. to avoid drawing any more power than needed directly from the Laptop.

USB 3.0 might allow a small herd of Displays!

At least from watching enterprising chaps on YouTube doing it that way!

Please do update if you get anywhere, and I will do likewise when I get to that stage.

Viking

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  3. BabyBell

BabyBell Newbie

Reputations:
    This video is the one I was basing my attempt on

Although he is doing it on a 8570w machine. I will track down an AMD card & correct heatsink and have some more attempts.

Edited to add: I was using DisplayPort to DVI active adaptors. Now given my dock is causing some problems with booting up I can't say definitively why it didn't work.

As you say the usb3 adaptors might work easier but I was hoping to keep the usb ports free for attaching hard disks & just use the display ports on back of the docking station. The usb 3 ports on the dock only work as usb 2 on the 8760w machines as HP never routed the usb 3 connections to the docks

Viking_2018 likes this.
  4. Viking_2018

Reputations:
    Yes, that was one of the videos I had seen, there is also a silent one with a chap who has an HP 8560w, who only seems able to run two external displays via DVI x2 from the larger HP Advanced Hub, with his Laptop's display off when doing so.

I have both HP Advanced Hubs:

(A) HP Advanced Hub - larger model, with USB 3.0 and 2x DP/DVI combined Ports and a DVD sized unit Slot.

(B) HP Advanced Hub - smaller model, with USB 33.0 but only 1x DP/DVI combined Port, and no room for a DVD Unit.

If you note what the chap says in your video link above, he said that DP to DVI Adapters have to be ACTIVE, not Passive, for it to work.

"James Stockwell" in the Comments says that he has an HP 8570w with an NVIDIA Card (not AMD), and he is able to run 2x Full HD External Displays, as well as the Laptop's Screen.

There seems to be a TWO LEGACY LIMIT, where the Laptop's screen counts as one, and a DVI would be two. To get around that, appears to be why he is using ACTIVE DP to DVI Adapters, which if I understand this, means the DVI is hidden by the Active DP to DVI Adapters, so neither eventual DVI connections then count as LEGACY.

I suspect that when I was playing with this my PASSIVE DP to DVI was not then hiding the eventual DVI connection, so it was counted as ONE LEGACY, which may be why I could only get two Displays up at the same time, with one being the Laptop's DC.

I have only a Passive unit at the moment, but did get a signal out of both the Laptop's DP Port, and also from the Hub's DP Port (and also when connected via DVI as well), but I have not yet been able to run more than that, probably because of the LEGACY LIMIT mentioned above.

WRT the AMD idea, please do keep in mind that the 17.3 inch HP 8760w and the basically similar but smaller 15 inch HP 8560w almost certainly have a White List, so I think the only AMD GPU Board you may be able to get to work will be the one I mentioned above, i.e.:

647176-001 HP AMD FirePro M5950 XT-GL 1GB GDDR5

I gather the main snag is this is the only way to keep the "Dreamcolor" ("DC") working, the HP 8760w is, I understand, very, very fussy because of the White Listing issue, and people have tried to use other GPUs not on the limited White List, and all they get is a black screen on the DC until they swap back to an "approved" GPU Board.

This was the main attraction of the HP 8770w, because it's not quite so restricted because it either has no White List, or it's more tolerant of GPUs not on what ever list it may have.

Hence why I was saying if your HP 8760w needs major parts to fix, you may like to consider upgrading it to HP 8770w specs. However, the main snag there could be the older DC unit on the HP 8760w, because that may not work with an HP 8770w MotherBoard, CPU, BIOS and a GPU Card that is somehow incompatible with it.

If you look for the other Threads on this Form, I'm sure one chap tried to upgrade his HP 8760w DC with HP 8770w parts. I understood that he was not able to get the DC to work. But I don't know what steps were taken, and if all options were tried.

I'm just trying to avoid you spending money on something that may never work. Thus, if trying AMD, I think you may be stuck with Hobson's Choice of just the one option. Whereas, if you updated to HP 8770w specs, you would then have a wider choice of GPU Boards, but possibly at the cost of losing the DC unless you could find a later DC unit from an HP 8770w.

I was hoping someone may jump in here and let us know if an older DC will work with HP 8770w components, or if anyone has been able to fit a GPU to an HP 8760w that is not on the White List!

My frustration is I do not yet know if the DC on my (currently) scrap HP 8760w works, because I have yet to get the HP 8760w working enough to get a signal to it! I would hate to spend money on HP 8760w Parts, only to find that the DC is dead. Likewise, it would be a shame to upgrade with HP 8770w Parts, and then find that the DC works, but not with HP 8770w parts.

I can say that the HP 8770w is a nice machine, and I seem to have that working fine now. I only have an NVIDIA Quadro 2000M 2GB in there at the moment, but it was a new HP Board, because I wanted to rule out what I suspect is a flaky Chinese Import HP NVIDIA Quadro 4000M 2GB Board. The 2000M is stable, and with 2GB should be fine for what I need (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Acrobat and MS Office etc).

The 2000M is not on the White List for the HP 8760w, so it probably wouldn't work if I swapped it to that (assuming I can find a working HP 8760w MotherBoard).

I'll try and get some Active DP to DVI or DP to HDMI Adapters, and will then see how many Displays I can get to work.

Viking

5. BabyBell

BabyBell Newbie

Reputations:
    My prime consideration is to have DC working so unless a have a complete failure of the motherboard I am going to stick with the 8760w.

My Displayport to DVI were active adaptors but I couldn't get them to wrok unfortunately. The only option that StarTech support suggested was to use adaptors with built in memory.

6. Viking_2018

Reputations:
    I can understand why, the DC is well worth keeping if at all possible.

Glad you mentioned StarTech, because that was the ones I was considering. I may look for another brand, and with built in memory in that case, if only to try something else to see if that works any better.

I don't know what to do with the HP 8760w, it's currently just a nice Case, Keyboard and DC Screen, the MotherBoard and GPU are scrap, so the main thing that's left is the DC, and I do not even know if that works or not!

If I knew, either way, I could then either keep it to original HP 8760w specs if it meant also keeping the DC workig, or jump to HP 8770w specs if the DC is also scrap and/or if someone could advise if an HP 8760w DC will still work if the machine is updated to use later HP 8770w MotherBoard, CPU, USB 3.0 Board and a suitable GPU Board.

Ideally, I'd like to find a cheap, scruffy but otherwise working HP 8760w that I can test the older DC out on.

Or, indeed, a similar HP 8770w to see if hooking up the older DC will work.

Now that the HP 8770w DC is working, I will just fix the HP 8760w DC in slow time, as and when parts at a good price present themselves to me!

Viking

7. Viking_2018

Reputations:
    I just spotted on YouTube a chap (Dimitar Pavlov) with an HP 8760w DC that is running an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780, I'm watching that on a different machine, so please just Search for:

"HP 8760W GTX 780M i7 2860QM"

He also confirms that the HP Display Assistant for the "Dreamcolor" also still works.

He also includes a link to another Forum where he expands on the NVIDIA INF Driver Modification.

This suggests that it is possible to get an HP 8760w DC to work with a GPU that is not on the White List.

Viking

8. BabyBell

BabyBell Newbie

Reputations:
    Just to be clear I used some no name active DisplayPort to DVI adaptors with a Nvidia 4000m card when I tried using the Advance Dock and failed to get it to mulitple monitors working.

The usb2dvi adaptors were from StarTech and also failed to give me mulitple monitors, their tech guy said it was because my graphics card didn't have enough memory to drive mulitple monitors and so would need their adaptors with internal memory to get around this problem. I didn't bother going any further at the time.

I don't know if you have seen this thread, it gives a lot of usual info on getting DreamColor screens to work

http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...n-dreamcolor-monitor-for-a-dreamcolor.693276/

9. sqjay

sqjay Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi everyone.
    I have mint a condition 8760w with Quadro 3000m and I would like to make upgrade of video card with the best Quadro card which would work in this system. Has anyone tried to M3000m od M4000m in 8760w?

Thx

10. HardwareExtreme

HardwareExtreme Newbie

Reputations:
    Has anyone been able to get a Firepro M5100 or M6000 to work in the 8760w? I'm looking at getting one of those because they are cheaper than the Quadro K3000m/4000m and are about equivalent performance-wise.

Also, just to confirm, if my display has a wide viewing angle, is it a Dreamcolor? My display looks pretty good, so I think it is a DC but I'm not sure.