*HP EliteBook 8760w Owners Lounge*

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by wkuballa, May 24, 2011.

1. Anmol Suri

Anmol Suri Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi,
    I have a Hp 8760w quad core,16gb memory which came with a quadro 4000m.
    From the past few days i was having problems with my laptop, it used to restart automatically.Now, it has got worse, when i switch on my laptop a black screen shows up and nothing happens after that.Hard disk sound and the fan noise can be heard, and some blinks on caps and num keys.I got it checked from my local repair shop and they say that the GPU has gone bad, they tried reballing and heating but that did'nt work too.
    Now, it seems that there is no other option left other than to buy a new graphics card for my laptop.
    I am here to take your suggestions on possible upgrades to the earlier quadro 4000m.I am getting a 4000m for 110 dollars on ebay but it seems i can get better much options in mxm cards in the same price range.The manual says that this range of laptops came with 3000m,4000m and 5010m options.
    Are there any other cards which would fit in without too much trouble?

2. Goodrockin

Goodrockin Newbie

Reputations:
    Can Anyone help me with my HP Elite 8760W. Currently installed is a HHD 500gb running windows 7 as the primary drive, no secondary drive. I want to replace the primary drive with a 80gb SSD. I have put a fresh instal of windows 10 on this from another machine but once inserted it will not boot? I cant seem to find a fix for this anywhere. Not sure if it has something to do will secure boot which i'm unable to find in the bios. Please help someone.. Thanks

3. Viking_2018

Viking_2018 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have a similar issue with an HP 8760w Quad Core, nVidia Quadro 4000M 2GB (UK Model, 2011) that I did buy knowing it was faulty (my bad).

To complicate my efforts, the machine had no Hard Drive, Caddy or, of course, Operating System. My plan is to configure it with Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, although I do have a Window 7 Pro 64 bit CoA to use, if needed.

Initially I found that the machine was stuck in a Boot Loop, so the 8760w would Boot the moment any Power was applied (via PSU alone, or via Battery alone). Fan would also come on immediately, there was no POST (Power On Self Test) that I could tell, a Black Screen and no VGA signal either, and then it would just Shut Down after 5 Seconds...then would just Boot Loop again, and again, and again, for as long as there was any Power. The Power Button and Keyboard had absolutely no effect.

No LED Flash Codes at all and, to stress, machine could not even get to POST that I could determine.

I did find that the HP RTC (BIOS) Battery was reading 2.80 Volts, when it should be a 3.0 Volt unit, or 3.33 Volts when new, so I did replace that with a brand new unit (reading 3.33 Volts) in case it might be a BIOS/Battery issue.

I also tried to re-Set the BIOS, such as removing all Power, then disconnecting the HP RTC (BIOS) Battery, holding down Power Button to discharge all Capacitors, counting to 10, re-connecting the RTC Battery and encouraging the Machine to re-setting the BIOS but, no joy, it still Boot Looped.

I tried to re-Flash the BIOS with a USB FAT Stick formatted as per HP's instructions (holding down at Boot the Windows Key + B Key, and then the alternative Windows Key + V Key) but, no joy, I could not get to the BIOS Update Screen, and it still happily self-Boot Looped.

I also tried the usual things like trying just one RAM stick in Primary Slot 1 (under Keyboard), and no others, or with all RAM Slots populated, with and without Hard Drive, and all no joy. It still Boot Looped.

Then I went further in, and found the GPU Heat Sink was suspiciously loose! A possible tell tale there being that the 4000M was 2013 whereas all of the other Components were all 2011. So, either a replacement 4000M had popped, or someone had swapped in a duff 4000M to sell it with more faults than were being admitted!

Sure enough, the 2013 4000M was blown, with one small flat black chip at the far right as you look at it from above, had lost its top, with a matching burn mark on the Thermal Toothpaste directly above it. There was a further pin point hot spot that had burned through a white plastic label below.

That looked like a power surge, but I have no way of saying either way.

I ordered a new nVidia Quadro 4000M from China, and paid a little extra for DHL, and that came amazingly quickly.

Whilst waiting for the new 4000M, I managed to find what looked like a good used 8760w MotherBoard on eBay EEC, and ordered that.

In the interim, I set about dismantling the 8760w, and re-tested things as I disconnected Components...eventually I was left with just the Fan and MotherBoard, and it was still Boot Looping, so I'm fairly sure the MotherBoard is also toast. However, I could not see anything obvious from a very close physical inspection, no burn marks, every component was there, no swollen Capacitors, albeit the small White Clip for the SmartCard Reader Unit was missing, as was, surprise, surprise, the Smart Card Reader, Cover and Ribbon Cable.

Conclusion, therefore, at that stage, was I had a blown 4000M and a trashed MotherBoard!

The replacement MotherBoard arrived, and it looked very clean, albeit the attached RTC Battery was flat as a pancake, reading no Volts at all.

I removed the old MotherBoard, and fitted the Replacement, and all went well.

The new 4000M arrived, so I carefully fitted that, having cleaned both the main CPU, both Heat Sinks, and the 4000M GPU with Arctic Silver Cleaner, Surface Prep, and a Lint Free Cloth. I also "tinted" the Heat Sinks with Arctic Silver Thermal Paste, and applied K5-Pro Thermal Toothpaste to the 4000M chips and GPU Heat Sink (supposedly better than Thermal Foam Pads).

I put it all back together and, sadly, it looks like the Replacement MotherBoard is faulty!

This time the Machine behaved altogether better, but is giving me FIVE FLASHES of the combined Caps Lock + Num Lock LEDs, which for a 2011 machine, de-codes as a System Board Failure (AKA MotherBoard)!

Groan!

What happens is at Boot, nothing immediately happens, the Power LED and other LEDs illuminate, the machine seems to do a Self-Test but with a Black Screen, and no VGA Output, then FLASHES the above LEDs FIVE TIMES, then the Fan comes on, stays on, and the machine will sit like that until I depress and hold the Power Button. It then stays off thankfully, so no more Boot Looping.

For reference, for an HP Laptop Built between 2011 and January 2015, the LED Blink Codes are as follows:

1 Flash = CPU
    2 Flashes = BIOS Corruption
    3 Flashes = Memory
    4 Flashes = Graphics
    5 Flashes = System Board
    6 Flashes = BIOS Authentication

Please see (link to HP Support Site page):

HP Notebook PCs - Computer Does Not Start and Emits an LED or Beep Code

The machine will now charge a Main Battery in this state (with both Battery inserted and PSU power), so it's close to coming back to life, but has a little way to go (like 2 hours to remove and fit a further MotherBoard)!

Final conclusion, at this stage, is I have fitted a partially-defective Replacement MotherBoard. I say partially-defective because this one can at least Self-Test when a Boot request comes in from the Power Button, or when Power is first applied.

I can also conclude that both the original MotherBoard and 4000M were blown.

Sadly, if my above experience is anything to go by, you may well need both a new 4000M and also, probably, a (working) Replacement MotherBoard.

I will update later when I have located a GOOD Replacement MotherBoard, or a scruffy working 8760w that I can break for Parts. Piggy bank is empty at the moment, so this may take a while.

My main hope is that the "Dreamcolor" display works, or else I will be finding out all about defective screens as well. Deep joy!

Viking

4. Viking_2018

Reputations:
    I forgot to cover that question.

From what I can gather, the 8760w is fussy about GPU Cards, with some saying there is an in-built HP White List such that only certain GPU Cards will work, or work well, or work at all with, say, the 10bit "Dreamcolor" Displays.

The short list for an easy ride, is these HP fellers:

647176-001 HP AMD FirePro M5950 XT-GL 1GB GDDR5 (DP 1.2 and Eyefinity Plus support)
    647177-001 HP NVIDIA Quadro 3000M, N12E-Q1 2GB dedicated GDDR5 video memory
    647178-001 HP NVIDIA Quadro 4000M, N12E-Q3 2GB dedicated GDDR5 video memory
    647179-001 HP NVIDIA Quadro 5010M, N12E-Q5 4GB dedicated GDDR5 video memory

Note: the AMD and NVIDIA GPU Heat Sinks are not the same, so you will also need to change the GPU Heat Sink if you were to change to an AMD from an NVIDIA, and vice versa.

Below are the HP Parts for the respective 8760w GPU Heat Sinks:

652544-001 HP Heat Sink for use with NVIDIA graphics subsystem
    652543-001 HP Heat Sink for use with ATI graphics subsystem

Also, just to avoid any confusion on Heat Sinks, below are the two CPU Heat Sink Units for the Quad and Dual Core 8760w CPUs, as applicable:

653629-001 HP CPU Heat Sink - for use only with computer models equipped with Quad-Core processors
    652542-001 HP CPU Heat Sink - for use only with computer models equipped with Dual-Core processors

Others with more experience of the 8760w may advise what other GPU Cards can be persuaded to work or, rather, how they persuaded the 8760w to work with alternative GPU Cards.

I have yet to establish if my Chinese 4000M actually works, because I have yet to get past the flaky MotherBoard stage!

Viking

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
  5. Viking_2018

Reputations:
    Firstly, I would say 80GB may be a little tight for Windows 10, if it were me, I would go for at least a 250GB SSD or preferably 500GB SSD for the main Drive.

Secondly, I think Windows 10 is linked to the Hardware, so you may encounter problems moving a drive that has been configured on another machine, say, if it has already been Activated and Microsoft have already linked that Activation to the other machine's hardware.

It could be a Windows 10 thing?

Viking

6. Viking_2018

Reputations:
    Further to my own 8760w MotherBoard fun, I was day dreaming that I might find a well priced Brand New HP 8760w Quad Core MotherBoard!

Yes, I know, fat chance!

HP in the UK/EEC do still have them, but they are over GBP 320.00 so, way over my budget.

However, as I have yet to find the next MotherBoard (AKA System Board), I think I read in this Thread that if fitting a new one, there is an issue that can arise because a Brand New MotherBoard should come in a virgin state, without Serial Number details.

I think someone mentioned that the new unit needs to be "Branded", which I think just means updating with an HP Serial Number and HP Product Number, which need to be valid or it can all go pear-shaped.

This is particularly tricky if, say, updating an HP 8760w with HP 8770w components, which I am also considering. I note that there are a few well priced 8770w MotherBoards out there in Internetland, but am also aware that to effect that swap, this will also need other Parts such as the LH 8770w USB Board, Keyboard, Palm Rest, CPU etc, and there are issues getting an 8760w "Dreamcolor" display to work when upgraded with 8770w components.

I would love to hear otherwise, so please educate me if I have the wrong end of the stick there.

Anyway, when attempting to "brand" a BRAND NEW MotherBoard, some care is needed because, I gather, this can trigger some issues, and I did read that there is some scope to "brick" the machine unless valid details are entered. I think HP Partners should be able to create a File that can enter the details, or you can download a utility, create a suitable File, and apply that via a Bootable USB or CD/DVD.

This all gets complex, fast, if also mixing 8760w and 8770w components, i.e. which Model of HP Machine does one use, and will it burp if trying to use an 8760w Serial with an 8770w Model plucked at random to sortof match a NEW 8770w MotherBoard?

HP Commodity Tracking (CT) Number

I gather this is all linked to the HP Commodity Tracking (CT) Number, which is what you may have seen on the White Label on 8760w/8770w and other MotherBoards.

This HP link may be of interest (HP Support Site link):

HP System Board Commodity Tracking (CT) Number

Also, the following Blog may also be of interest in terms of how to get hold of a suitable utility to address this if lucky enough to be fitting a New MotherBoard (this is not for an HP 8760w, but if you read the comments, it should work if the correct parameters for your machine are used):

Windows Faults Fixed - How to fix Product Information Not Valid error on HP G62-A19SA

This is primarily for my own benefit should I manage to obtain a NEW MotherBoard.

I won't be holding my breath whilst waiting to find one!

Obviously, if obtaining a pre-used MotherBoard, then the CT details should already have been "branded" to that Board, so your machine should, I would think, just adopt the Serial and Product Code etc of the machine that it came from.

Viking

7. BabyBell

BabyBell Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, I'm not sure whether to add to this thread or start a new post but trying to get some help with 2 problems with my 8670w (edit: I meant 8760w) running Win 7 Pro that may be related.

One is that the CAP Locks light flashes 5 times on boot up which indicates a system board error, is there any way of further diagnosing this error?

The second problem is when docked to a HP Advance docking station number HSTNN-I10X the machine spends 12 minutes on the "Starting Windows" screen, USB devices take a few minutes to be recognised. The CAP Locks key still flashes 5 times. Without the dock the machine starts normally, USB devices are detected straight away.

Any one with any ideas as to the issue with it?

Last edited: May 12, 2018
  8. Viking_2018

Reputations:
    I assume you mean HP 8760w?

That's the LED Error Code that I am getting with an HP 8760w which, as you say, indicated a System Board/MotherBoard failure.

I have not managed to get around that, but have tried changing the Fan, and also changing the GPU Board for another one, but no change.

I'm still getting the 5x Caps Lock and Num Lock LED flashes at initial Boot, and the machine fails to POST, no Display, and nothing I can do to get past that. Machine will not Boot from USB, the fault is detected at an early stage, and that's that.

Sorry this is not better news at the moment.

Viking

BabyBell likes this.
  9. Viking_2018

Reputations:
    I should add that the Fan was a problem, moved that with the Heat Sink to an HP 8770w, which went ape, so the Fan was faulty.

Viking

10. BabyBell

BabyBell Newbie

Reputations:
    Oops yes I meant 8760w!

Thanks for reply. I think mine does the same with the POST and display - tried to schedule a chkdsk on reboot and the display is just a few coloured pixels at top of screen. It did however complete the chkdsk command and go on to boot up as normal.

The fan does seem to be working although at times it goes to a high speed even when laptop is doing nothing.