*HP EliteBook 8760w Owners Lounge*

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by wkuballa, May 24, 2011.

1. Lucious

Lucious Newbie

Reputations:
    Ok, some more questions:

The new acquired 8760w has a very old BIOS. Version F26. I got 4 X 8gb Crucial 1600mhz DDR3L memory sticks which don't seem to be compatible for some reason. I tried using only one stick for testing and the 8760w couldn't boot up.

What's the best BIOS version to upgrade to? Remember some people stating in here not to upgrade past a certain version I believe.

Edit: Updated to F60. Going to check those memory modules again tomorrow.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
  2. repman244

repman244 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    It's probably not compatible due to the RAM being DDR3L (L=low power 1.35V RAM) which is not supported. Only 1.5V modules will work.

3. Lucious

Lucious Newbie

Reputations:
    So after updating to F60, removing those old memory modules which were 1.5V, the new 4 X 8gb crucial sticks work just fine. CPUID reports they are running at 1.35V at 666Mhz at 9-9-9-24 timings. Is 1333mhz the ceiling of the QM67 chipset as far as memory speeds go?

These are the modules by the way:

[​IMG]

4. repman244

repman244 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I know that for my 8560w the limit is 1333MHz even if you put 1600MHz modules. It depends on the CPU (i5 vs i7) but HP limited the RAM to 1333MHz.

5. Quicklite

Quicklite Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Very odd question - for the office 8760W - it seems if I leave a lighter window in a dark background - there is some faint ghosting after about 3-5 mins (where the windows was, if I start moving the background / window content - it goes away). Is there any way of fixing this without replacing the display? It's perfect in colour, etc - just a bit OCD about the display hence asking. Thanks guys.

6. zun89

zun89 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi Guys,
    i'm searching the Bios Chip on the Mainboard.
    Is it the 8 Pin Chip under the "Docking Station" on the Mainboard ? ( D1013 / U10060 ).
    MX1C MX LL25L6406E M21-12G 3F359900 with a red Dot on it.
    Need it to replace :)

Thank you in Advance

7. Fungus99

Fungus99 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I've read the 8760/8770 dc2 panel are used with dell's m6600/6700 premier color and don't suffer from the green and red color tint in the bottle left and right corner like the 8560/8570 and m4600/4700 nor the grain.
    The one thing I've noticed with my previous m6700 with premier color is when looking offer center, images are washed out and don't maintain the excellent viewing angle.
    The 15" panel doesn't have this problem and maintains a steady viewing angle.
    The dc2 display in the 8740w also doesn't have the viewing angle issue, however, colors are noticeable less saturated than the than the newer dc2 panels. (I have both the 8560w and 8740w side by side)

You can clearly see what I'm talking about here. Pause at 1:01 and 1:07

8740w - viewing angle remains stable

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  8. Mininoob

Mininoob Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey i was wondering if someone could help me.I'm trying to get a gtx970m 6gb working with my 8760w-dc I setup windows in UEFI mode and tried modifying drivers but my screen still turns black when it's installing the driver

9. jamie walker

jamie walker Newbie

Reputations:
    I was thinking about ordering a Nvidia k1100m 2gb does anybody know if I need to mod drivers for this just looking to increase the performance a little bit I also was looking at the Nvidia m1000m and I guess the same question would apply to that too if I ended up getting that one

10. Balthxzar

Balthxzar Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, I've just jumped into this thread after buying an 8760w today, it has an i7 2630QM, 16GB ram, a quadro 4000m and the DreamColour display.

My question to you is, do I need to modify my drivers in order to use a gtx 970m? someone mentioned earlier that the only issue was the brightness control didn't work if not and was always stuck at 100%. this isn't an issue for me as this is intended to be used as a dedicated gaming laptop and if I need portability and good battery life I can always use one of my 8 thinkpads.

Thanks all,
    Balth.