*HP EliteBook 8760w Owners Lounge*

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by wkuballa, May 24, 2011.

1. phomuabay

phomuabay Newbie

Reputations:
    I upgraded 4000m to 780m. But i don't know how to install driver for it. Anyone help me ?

2. phomuabay

phomuabay Newbie

Reputations:
  3. KLF

KLF NBR Super Modernator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    If I remember correctly, someone succesfully swapped 8560w or 8760w to *70w and what I remember you need to change: mainboard, usb3 board, touchpad/palmrest.

So, the information is already in this forum. Good luck ;)

4. Savage.exe

Savage.exe Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I just ordered a GTX 770m 3Gb with thermal pads, thermal paste and the HP 100 W Thermal Solution found in the 8770w, I got the 8770w one cause they were the same, But the fan in the 8770w seems to be a bit more better vs the 8760w fan (As seen in pictures), If anyone needs I will give them a modified driver, But support ends after I get a GTX 980m later on. Also, I will also have to figure out to see if the modified inf file works first too.

5. Savage.exe

Reputations:
    Hello everyone, Today I installed my GTX 770m 3Gb that I got off of ebay, It shows as it's a Dell BIOS in the back side but when I install it into the laptop it turns on and shows a black screen. It appears to boot into windows, But even when I shine a light on the screen nothing, I did try to hook it upto the external monitor via vga, However it still don't work. I didn't try the external display port though.

6. Savage.exe

Reputations:
    An update for the GTX 770m. I discovered that in order to use the GTX 770m in the HP Elitebook 8760w you have to flash a clevo bios on the video card.

7. xTesla1856

xTesla1856 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just swapped the 2630QM for a 2670QM that I got for 30 bucks. Machine gained about 60 points in Cinebench. Swap was painless and the machine booted right back up, not even a BIOS reset.

8. alain65

alain65 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, i have bought an old 8760w (2820qm) and i would like to upgrade ram with ddr3 1866 but i've tried corsair and crucial 8Gb memory modules and memory still run @1333mhz. Is there something to tweak in bios (f.64) to have it work @1866 ? same problem with 1600mhz ddr3 (tried a lot of brand), still runing @1333... thanks for your help (i'm french so sorry for my poor english)

9. Lucious

Lucious Newbie

Reputations:
    Long time no speak 8760s!

So I managed to get all this working. New keyboard was the solution.

Question since I got another 8760w in order to mod (these machines are a beauty!) I've found some Dell 780m GPUs online. I understand these need to be flashed with another bios in order to work on the 8760w. Any idea on how to do this?

So basically my question is a Dell GTX 780M compatible with an HP 8760w straight out of the box as a direct replacement? The part number is N14E-GTX-A2.

Cheers

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
  10. mukiwa

mukiwa Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi yes I have and yes it is :D

You can only use version 304xx (I'll confirm later and update this as I'm in windows for study stuff). Nothing else after that works with the backlight - no matter what you do.

It does take some finding on the Nvidia site but I'm running Manjaro and once I found where the option was I installed 304 and then de-selected the newer drivers.
    Works fine :)

1. On Manjaro you need to go to free nvidia driver (nouveau) and install that.
    2. Uninstall the nonfree nvidia driver (later than 304xx) video-nvidia-340xx (on mine)
    3. Uninstall the video-nvidia
    4. Install video-nvidia-304xx
    5. Reboot and you should then be into video-nvidia-304xx and your Fn-F9/F10 backlight will work

I found this through trial and error and funnily enough I found a website (since forgotten) that said you can't use past 304.

Good luck!

## PS. Sorry for the delay but for some reason grub corrupted itself on hdd1 and I couldn't reinstall so I had to swap drives around. All working now, wierd. I'll update tomorrow

Last edited: Dec 16, 2017