*HP EliteBook 8760w Owners Lounge*

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by wkuballa, May 24, 2011.

1. jaxknight77

jaxknight77 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello, yes it can be upgraded to the 680m GPU and some here if you read this form have reported success with the 980m. As for the CPU you can go up to the 2960xm if you want. In both cases you will have to upgrade the heatsink. The CPU to the quadcore versión and the the GPU heatsink to the Quadro one. Also make sure you have a good power supply for the watts like the 230w actually adapter. Also watch out for temps when doing this. In you're case you won't have to change any heatsinks, also you already have a quadcore and you don't need to change the motherboard.

2. jobriennbr

jobriennbr Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    It might not be a problem. GK104 chip has a theoretical max temp of 98C.

If you are running a modded vBIOS, it is likely operating that way by the vBIOS mod design. Your gpu life span will vary. :)

At 89C, 70% GPU, if you are not getting the performance or FPS you are expecting by using internet comparisons, you could have a problem in a number of areas. You would also need to compare your GPU clock speeds at 89C/70%gpu, to see if they are comparable. Your heat transfer paste on your GPU and pads on gpu board chips are possibly insufficient or not sized or positioned correctly for good heatsink contact, or heatsink plate under-torqued down.

If your clock speeds and performance are lower than would be expected for 89C/70%, it could be caused by a number of things. Laptop gpu fan not scaling up with GPU temp, or fan never spinning up to full speed (this is a known possible issue). You need to also verify that if your modded GPU BIOS is using GPU boost and overclocked too high, it is possibly exceeding your cooling capacity, and maybe that vBIOS was tested on a laptop with a slightly different heatsink (Dell, Clevo, vs HP), even though it theoretically is a designed to dissipate a set amount of heat energy. None of these various laptops rated with a 100W heatsink, dissipates EXACTLY 100W, and I have yet to see a vBIOS modder take that into account. They test on THEIR manufacturer laptop (e.g. Dell), and hopefully, their vBIOS mod runs for the long term on your HP designed "100W" gpu heatsink.

On my 680M implementation, at 99% GPU, my GPU temp will max out at 73C. But...my GPU will throttle down to keep GPU temps going no higher than 73C.

I do understand this kind of GPU throttling is not for everyone, but if the 680M board fails, it is not as easy as a desktop PC to put a new one in.

Also, my GPU fan speed scales up with GPU temps (yes, I am running latest motherboard BIOS).

Attached is a screenshot I just did of GPU Shark monitoring of a benchmark app running. My machine was connected to dual DisplayPort monitors at the time, so FPS specifics would not be comparable. Also, I am sure my fan and heatsink are dusty and need to be blown out.

For a credible high performance modded 680M vBIOS, search internet for user "svl7" and 680M. For a more conservative (Increased Mean Time Between gpu Failure) performance enhanced vBIOS mod of 680M, search on user "widezu69".

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
  3. houseforsaken

houseforsaken Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you!!! I did read (most of) this forum, it's quite possible I missed a few posts regarding the upgrades.
    So I can upgrade the processor from my i7 2620 to the i7 2960xm, it's just plug and play?
    The video board from the Nvidia 3000m to the 680m, that's just plug and play too?

my power supply is the HP oem, but it shows only 200w output.

I only have 2 slots for RAM and I am currently at 8G. The crucial site states the max i can go is 32GB, is that true?

Where would I be better off starting my upgrades, the processor?

4. Savage.exe

Savage.exe Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The maximum amount of ram that you can install in a HP Elitebook 8760w with the 2 ram slots is 16 Gb, Which is plenty enough.
    The GTX 680M isn't just plug and play, You have to modify the GPU drivers until you can be able to actually use it in windows.
    As for the 2960qm Yes, That's a plug and play CPU, Just be sure you have the dual heatpipe heatsink before you do so.

5. KLF

KLF NBR Super Modernator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    There is actually two different motherboards (okay, probably more than just two, but...), one for dualcore and one for quadcores.
    Quadcore motherboards support 4 dimm slots (4x8GB = 32GB max) while dualcores have only two slots, since that's how many dimms the processors would support.

I'm used to see i5 CPUs as dualcore systems, so I recommend you to check if there is actually two dimm slots under the keyboard in addition to the normal two under the bottom cover.

This is only a faint memory but I remember seeing someone mention that the quadcore/i7 motherboard would have different/better power supply to the cpu. In addition I suggest to look for posts where others have or tried to upgrade CPU from i5 to i7 on a dualcore motherboard... I'm not sure if all of them were success stories.

Checking and re-checking doesn't cost anything when you do it before you order any parts :p

6. TenGauge

TenGauge Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hello, new here, trying to do some research on upgrading the GPU in my 8770w (currently K4000M). I have read that the GTX 980m and K5100m are the top dogs that will work in this machine, is that correct? My question comes to which particular version needs to be bought that's plug and play compatible, I see them listed multiple ways on eBay etc and unsure of which one I should buy. Thanks in advance for any help.

7. xTesla1856

xTesla1856 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Joining the owners club, just picked up a used 8760w in mint shape for 200 bucks:

i7 2630MQ
    Quadro 3000M
    8GB RAM
    FHD non-Dreamcolor display

I plan on upgrading this machine as far as I can and dual booting Windows and Mac OS :D

TenGauge likes this.
  8. xTesla1856

Reputations:
    I can pick up a cheap M2000M locally. Will it fit the 8760w?

9. Julo Tomastik

Julo Tomastik Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello,
    I have problem with 8760w (i7 2670QM, 24GB RAM, Quadro 4000M, 2GB HDD)
    Sometimes, it just shuts down and restarts. No warning, no BSoD, just power off and restart. In Event viewer it is stated as Critical: Kernel power.
    I already had this kind of error previously, however, changing original Quadro 3000M for actual 4000M helped for few months (3000M was apparently dead as there were stripes on the display)
    Could this be caused by overheating?
    Now, with just Firefox, Thunderbird and Word open, temperatures are:
    CPU 49-54 C
    GPU 67 C
    GPU VRM 116 C
    Especially that VRM seems to be quite high to me....
    Any suggestions are appreciated ;)

10. xTesla1856

Reputations:
    Has anyone installed a 8770w board in a 8760w chassis? I'd like to upgrade to Ivy Bridge, as I already have a Quadro M2000M on the way. Is it possible? The chassis seems identical from the 60w to 70w