HP Elitebook 8760w CPU and GPU upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by terabyt3, Oct 7, 2020.

1. terabyt3

terabyt3 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    What if i dont have done that disabling secure boot and still booting up with the new gtx card. Are those the same symptoms what im getting fans spinning fullest and then shytting down after a couple of seconds.

Problem right bow i have is i cant get in to bios because of this black screen problem with my old gpu. And also with the new gpu the symptoms im getting like i said above.

Any other things i could try before buying parts

2. mirage_bg

mirage_bg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I don‘t want to be the bad messenger, but the new GPU looks like making short circuit somewhere...
    Did you remove the X-Bracket of the old one and transfer it to the new GTX?

3. terabyt3

Reputations:
    No problem at all better getting the true.

Installing the new gpu without changing to uefi and disabling the secure boot what are the symptoms ? Have you ever tried that yet. So i can compare this with my symptoms.
    Do you still get the hp logo at the start and is it possible to get in to bios.

Yes i did replace the x bracket with my old one. Even if that new gpu is a bad one why is my old gpu not working anymore is getting me more confused.

You think the new gpu is a bad one.

I think i will be buying a new gpu card .
    Before i buy do you think this is only a gpu problem and not the motherboard.

Which card should i get this time which is my safest bet without any problems which is still a upgrade.
    Or should i just get the same old card which is the quadro 5010m. I really hoped this could work with this gtx card. Seller also doesnt reply to my messages which is think i can forget to get a refund because its over 2 weeks i have received the gpu my fault i didnt installed asap when i got it. Aliexpress gives you 15 days after receving item to open dispute. It says on hes item.page that i have 6 months warranty but if hes not replying to me i dont think i can get any further.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
  4. terabyt3

Reputations:
    If i only could know what hapoens if
    Installing the new gpu without changing to uefi and and without disabling the secure boot what are the symptoms ?so not chaning those 2 settings .Have you ever tried that yet. So i can compare this with my symptoms.
    Do you still get the hp logo at the start and is it possible to get in to bios.

Or is it the same like me fans spinning at fullest and restarting

5. mirage_bg

mirage_bg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    When secure boot is enabled, your laptop won‘t post any screen, but it should be resolved by resetting the CMOS... which is not like this in your case...
    I hope only your motherboard is alive, which is not sure for now, nor your CPU...
    You‘ve made some unintentional mistake somewhere along the road of replacing the GPU.
    Now you have to start from scratch to discover where the problem is and I won‘t suggest to invest in new expensive GPU for now, before you find which part in your notebook is gone...

6. terabyt3

Reputations:
    Ok i understand but there is a possibilty that old gpu also has died right? I am having that feeling that my old also died maybe when getting of the x bracked i made have used some force to do it but again having no spare parts makes this more harder.

I will try to order my old gpu again the 5010m whoch cost about 80 euros on aliexpress this time lesson learned i will fit it in asap so there is time to open a dispute with seller.

But again when secure boot is enabled and uefi startup mode is off what will happen if install the gtx 980m card. Wil it still post and do i see the hp logo or havent you yried this yet. Im curios because maybe there is a chance the gtx is still fine but its giving this fan spinning full and black and restarting because of those settings not correctly set

7. mirage_bg

mirage_bg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    No, you won‘t see any HP logo when secure boot is enabled, but you will see the logo no matter if UEFI is enabled or disabled.
    As long as your two GPUs are in non-working condition, either you have broke them equally, using too much force to remove the X-bracked (you need hairdryer for that, you know..) or your MoBo is dead. Have you ever done all this procedure before or it was now your first try?

8. terabyt3

Reputations:
    Ok thanks for clearing that up.

Yes i have opend my elitebook many times for upgrades or just for cleaning and repasting cpu and gpu. But removing the x braxk is my first time to be honest. Mobo seems to work good i dont see any issues when starting up with my old gpu fans spinnijg normal wich are all normal leds on. only black screen which i think i have broken my old gpu when removing the x bracket like i said before i did used some force anyway damage has already been done cant undo this. Maybe i also have screwd the heatsink back to tight which can cause for a shortage with the xbracket. I always have this problem where i seems to screw back the screws to much.

Anyway thanks for clearing that up. Just bought my old gpu. And maybe for future i will try this upgrade again. Will update this post when i got the new gpu hopefully its only the gpu which needs to be replaced.

9. terabyt3

Reputations:
    Ok it seems seller is responsing and said i can send it back. Shipping vost on my side but thats no problem.

If i get a new hopefully working gtx 980m card.
    Can i iust pop this in and start the laptop or secureboot must be disabled.
    Because i think i have not disabled secureboot. Problem is i dont have any spare card to go in to bios and disable secure boot.

If i still need a spare card which is the cheapest i can buy so i can just use that for going in to bios
    Any solutions for this.

10. jotm

jotm Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    If there's a short circuit, the laptop won't power on at all. I literally had this problem with a Quadro 4000m, it would power on without the GPU, but would not power on and would even trip the power supply with the card inserted. Turned out to be a failed capacitor. That card worked well for about a year after I replaced the cap myself lol, but then started freezing and shutting down. A new GPU solved that.