HP Elitebook 8760w CPU and GPU upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by terabyt3, Oct 7, 2020.

1. terabyt3

terabyt3 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Ok got the cpu and gpu yesterday. Got the gpu earlier then the cpu but they both arrived in good condition. Will install them tommorow do you u have any more tips before i start tearing down my laptop.
    After installing the cpu and gpu can i just go an install a new fresh windows 10 and then install the custom driver.

If i can get any instructions how to install the custom drivers that would be great. I will install the custom driver as soon as windows has been installed. Or should i install and try to the official drivers from nvidia and see what happens.

2. mirage_bg

mirage_bg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You don’t need to reinstall the Windows if you have already installed it under UEFI
    You can give me your TeamViewer details and I can help you with installing the drivers

3. terabyt3

Reputations:
    I will be installing windows 10. I now have windows 7 since 2013 which i still was planning to formst my laptop because it beginning to be slow. Windows 7 isnt installed under uefi mode so i still habe to format and install windows 10. is there an instruction i can follow how i can install the custom drivers for the 8760w and the gtx 980m on windows 10 my self. With teamviewer its a bit difficult to know when im on my laptop and when you have the time.

4. terabyt3

Reputations:
    Should i also update my bios when im at it or isnt that needed. I will keep you updates with my progress first i need to transfer all my data to a new hdd i can only work for like 15 to 25 minutes on my laptop because i have a heat issue. My colling paste is old and need to repaste and laptop needs also a good cleaning inside.

5. mirage_bg

mirage_bg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  6. terabyt3

Reputations:
    Sorry for my late reply i was really busy these 2 days. I think i have litlle as no time during this weekend to disassamble, wil do the the disassanbly saturday or sunday hopefully.
    To just let you know the reason if my replies are late

Anyway thanks for the link that is very handy i will be following that when everything is ready.

Some question i had

-Is that custom driver from that link the newest GTX 980m driver availble at this momment. What if a new driver version comes out how do i install that one same method and what or how should i customize the new driver version for my gpu?. Or wil this gpu only work with some driver versions.

-And after installing the cpu and gpu and its assambled can i just go an install a new fresh windows 10 and then install the custom driver. In that order or is there a step i should be takong between windows 10 install and custom gpu driver install.

-What will happen if i try the official nvidia drivers for my gpu can i atleast try it out and check if it works without the custom driver. You probably have tried and checked this and what was the outcome. If it doesnt work then there is no reason i should do this i think.

-Last question
    Should i also update my bios any advantages i can get over my old bios or should i just leave it.

Thanks in advance.

7. senso

senso Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You need to mod the driver, or it wont install, because your laptop model doesn't exist in the Nvidia database has having that GPU, so it doesn't allow the driver to be installed, you will always need to use modded drivers, but you dont need to install each and every driver released, I was running the same GPU driver on my 2070 since April, only updated because Horizon Zero Dawn complained..
    Just upgrade everything, check that all work, them do a clean OS install, after you install the rest of the drivers you can install the modded Nvidia driver.

8. terabyt3

Reputations:
    Ok installed new gpu and cpu but its not working even puttibg my old cpu and gpu back i get a black screen. Im fair8ng for the worst whoch is mb gpu or cpu is fried.
    When installong the new gtx gpu al i get is fan spinning full and then shutdown.

Whej i pit my old gpu back it worked for a couple of times but after that laptop starts but with black screeb leds are all on obly black screen.

Hope there is still a solution for this i thibk im regretting this upgrade by bow losing a lot of money and time.

If there is anything i can do. Please tell me every help will be greest this time i cant afford a new laptop for now.

I think the new gpy was a faulty one and it ruined the whole system.

9. terabyt3

Reputations:
    Again installing old gpy and cpu still black screen no caps lock blinking codes just black screen fan is running.

10. terabyt3

Reputations:
    Is my motherboard fried or just only the old gpu and the new gtx gpu. Hope someone put me in the right direction.