HP Elitebook 8760w CPU and GPU upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by terabyt3, Oct 7, 2020.

1. terabyt3

terabyt3 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi guys,

I own a HP Elitebook 8760w since 2014 and love this machine. Now as the title of this post suggest I want to upgrade the CPU and GPU. Reading and searching a lot about others upgrading their 8760w/8770w laptops i came to the conclusion to upgrade the CPU from a i7-2760QM to a i7-2860QM and the GPU from a NVIDIA Quadro 5010M to a GTX 980M.
    Preparing my self for this upgrade is always a good thing. So any help or advice I can get will be great.

My laptop will be used mostly for designing in Photshop/Illustrator and playing games from a couple of years ago or even older ones.

My current laptop specs now before the upgrade:

HP Elitebook 8760w
    Product number: LY530ET#ABZ
    Bios: 68SAD Ver. f.50
    Bios date: 18/05/2014
    Operating system: Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
    CPU: i7-2760QM
    RAM: 32 GB DDR3
    GPU: NVIDIA Quadro 5010M
    Storage: 2x 250GB SSD and 1x 300GB HD
    I have a 200w power brick

After installing the new GPU I will be formatting my system with a fresh new Windows 10 PRO 64-bit.

The CPU and the GPU I bought comes from china but it's legit what i can think of. The seller says the GPU should work with my 8760w laptop.

CPU
    €71,15 | Intel Core I7-2860QM SR02X Processor i7 2860QM notebook Laptop CPU Socket G2 rPGA988B Suitable for HM65 75 76 77 chipset laptop
    https://a.aliexpress.com/_B1iF2h

GPU
    €199,90 | New Original GTX 980M Graphics Card GTX980M with X-Bracket N16E-GX-A1 8GB GDDR5 MXM For Dell Alienware MSI HP via free DHL/EMS
    https://a.aliexpress.com/_BOLvAZ

So the questions I have in a nutshell.

- Are the above specs compatible with my new CPU and GPU

- I do know some have problems installing the GTX 980M in a 8760w with Dreamcolor display is this still a problem because I do think I have a Dreamcolor display but cant figure it out if I have one actually. Installing the Dreamcolor software on my laptop works but I can't calibrate the Dreamcolor display because I don't have the colorimeter device.

- Will the CPU i7-2860QM work out of the box plug and play to say so.

- Will the GTX 980M work if i have a Dreamcolor display. It's not a must to have the Dreamcolor ability to work as long as the GPU works.

- Do I have to install custom drivers if so how to customize the drivers for this particular model laptop and GPU.

- Do i get problems or issues with the new Windows 10 64-bit OS and the GTX 980M

- Will my current heatsink work with the CPU and GPU upgrade.

- Whats the best cooling paste to use I prefer not to use any LM cooling.

- Can I use any aftermarket cooling pads for the GPU chips or should I go with the more expensive ones?

- Should I update the bios or is this not necessary if so what are the benefits of the new updated bios version and is it compatible with the new GPU GTX 980M.

- Is my power supply which is 200w sufficient to work with the upgrade.

- Any other advice or info I can get to get this upgrade going smoothly will be appreciated.

If this upgrades just keeps me going for 3 or 4 years I'm happy.

If you guys need any more info about my laptop please ask I will provide as soon as possible.

Thanks in advance.

2. mirage_bg

mirage_bg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hi,

1. yes, you do have a DreamColor display once you can successfully run DC software.
    2. yes, the heatsinks you currently have will work with your desired choice of CPU and GPU.
    3. 2860QM will work out of the box - PnP
    4. GTX 980m on DreamColor is only possible on Windows 10 UEFI (GPT partition) mode and disabled FastBoot in Windows and bios.
    5. You must modify the drivers (I will help you with this)
    6. You can reuse your current cooling pads, but I do suggest Arctic/Gelid
    7. The best cooling compound it your case would be Phobya Nanogrease extreme or Gelid GC Extreme
    8. bios update is not required
    9. 230W is your safest option, but 200W would work too

(btw, I don't suggest you to use RAID on 8760W as the QM67 chipset doesn't support TRIM when using RAID...)

Hope this helps...
    Greetings

3. terabyt3

Reputations:
    Thanks for the fast reply mirage_bg really appreciate it. And thanks for answering all the questions.

If i can get some help with the custon driver installs would be great. When i have installed the cpu and gpu i will let know so we can hopefully install the custom drivers.

Do you think this upgrade is worth the money and time. Or should i have upgraded to a different cpu or gpu. Whats your best advice specially for the gpu. I still can cancel my order if you think a different gpu is better.

4. mirage_bg

mirage_bg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I would say it is worthy, you have made the best choice for this platform.
    I would only say that if you are not going to play a lot on it, may be quadro M5000M/Tesla would be better option if you need primarily quadro’s driver support for your work.

Now Tesla’s are really cheap (they are basically M5000M), but I am not sure if it will work straight from the box on 8760W without experimenting with the vBioses...:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/283943156201

5. terabyt3

Reputations:
    Playing games wil be a part for this laptop so i think the 980m wil be a better choise just like you said. Beside that i dont have the proper programmer to flash vbioses.

For the cooling paste can i also use the Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut. En also the cooling pads from the same manufactur. Or are the Phobya Nanogrease extreme or Gelid GC Extremea a better option. I have used gc extreme some time ago for this laptop its good bu you need to change it every year or so otherwise heat problems will show up. Thats my experience. I dont want to save money on cooling paste beacuse i know they are a imporant element for the cooling of the cpu and gpu. But i will get the one which you think is the best beacuse the experience you have with this custom build.
    Also is this the correct thickness for the cooling pads which goes on top of the videp chips. This image comes from some sellers on aliexpress who are selling the gtx 980m[​IMG]

One last question are there any big issues with compatibilty on windows 10 which i should look out for.

When the cpu and gpu arrive and are installed i will let you know asap so you can help me out with custom drivers and maybe hopefully not other issues i ran in to.

Thanks again for your time and help i really appreciated.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2020
  6. mirage_bg

mirage_bg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hi,

Here you are the right thickness of the thermal pads for 980m and 8760/8770W
    I have tried it myself and can confirm it as working fine:

[​IMG]

I don’t suggest you Kryonaut because its viscosity is not really high and pump out will happen in a matter of few months. It will become liquider with time of usage, especially if your temps are above 85C.
    I think Phobya and Gelid are better on this regard (harder to apply, but will last longer)
    In any way - the best solution is Conductonaut, but you need foam dam barriers to be on the safe side...

Win 10 has problems only with the fingerprint sensor driver (few attempts will be successful), everything else works fine.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2020
  7. terabyt3

Reputations:
    Thanks a lot for the image it seems there is a diffirence between the your image and the sellers image. Should the small chips also be coverd with cooling pads or is that not that important.
    I will be buying this one if you think this is oke
    https://www.hardwarewebwinkel.nl/co...gelid-solutions-extreme-thermal-pad-1-mm.html

I wil be using the phobya cooling paste this time and see what happens also can i use this cooling paste for the cpu or should i use a diffirent one for the cpu. I heard when using LM cooling u have to replace the Lm every year or so is that true. Maybe in the future i will give that a try.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2020
  8. mirage_bg

mirage_bg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The small chips between the inductors don’t heat up, so you don’t need to cover them with thermal pads, but if you decide to do it, you need again 1.5mm thickness.
    Gelid pads are great, I am using them on my 1070 and they do a perfect job. You will need both 1.5mm and 1.0mm thickness.
    You don’t need to replace the LM every year, this was valid for Coolaboratory Liquid Pro/Ultra, but Conductonaut work really well and will last much longer.

9. terabyt3

Reputations:
    I have orderd your recommended cooling pads en the cooling paste. I had to order the phobya cooling paste from germany very strange we didnt had this in the netherlands we did had the gelid and others but not this one.

I will let you know when the gpu and cpu arrive.

Thanks again for alle the knowledge you are sharing it seems you know your stuff when it comes to these elitebooks.

10. mirage_bg

mirage_bg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thank you! It is my pleasure.