HP ELITEBOOK 8760w, compatible with an RX 480 4GB Mobile?

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by ThatDamnFrog, Oct 10, 2020.

1. ThatDamnFrog

ThatDamnFrog Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello!
    So I'm looking to buy a used HP ELITEBOOK 8760w (103C_5336AN) with a:
    1) Intel core i7-2820QM (I'm also thinking of later on upgrading this to an i7 3630QM)
    2) 12GB of DDR3 (Generic Samsung Ram)
    3) Stock Power Supply and Battery
    4) Nvidia Quadro 3000m
    - Curious if an RX 480 4GB MXM Card would work?

- Would it work out of the box?

- Would I need to perform any modifications, if so which (custom vBIOS, custom drivers?

- If the RX 480m wouldn't work with this, what Laptops would?

- Would the Stock Power Supply and Battery be sufficient, while the battery is still sporting respectable battery life?

- Will the current heatsink be fine?

- Would I need to update to the latest BIOS?

-Would it work with a Dreamcolor Display?

-Any other advice is really appreciated

---
    Also I'd be using this Laptop for programming microcontrollers, playing games and some CAD
    P.S the RX 480m is apparently a "reference model" (what the seller claims)
    Thanks in Advance

Last edited: Oct 10, 2020
  2. mirage_bg

mirage_bg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hi,
    You can’t use 3630QM on 8760W as this CPU is 3rd Gen Ivy Bridge while 8760W is 2nd Gen Sandy Bridge. The best option for you would be 2960XM which I wouldn’t recommend as it heats up like crazy (96-98C are norm without liquid metal TIM, and the TJmax of the CPU is 100C max...)
    Better stay where you are or if you have a good deal - trade it for 2860QM.

As 8760W is not so much GPU upgrade friendly as 8770W, you really have to experiment with RX 480...it might, it might not work...I suggest you to look at direction 980M/Quadro M5000M which have better chance to work properly on 8760W (the first one works 100%, I’ve been using it myself while I had 8760W, you just need UEFI based Win 8.1/10 if you have DreamColor and any other OS if you don’t).

Your current heatsink should work without problems both with 980m/Quadro/RX 480

I would point my view on 8770W if I were you...better and cooler CPU, better RAM (up to 1866MHz), TRIM support for RAID 0 with SSDs, mSata SSD support are just few to mention...overall price is not much higher than 8760W...just saying..;)

3. ThatDamnFrog

Reputations:
    Thanks a ton, but the primary reason for me considering the RX 480 Mobile is because I can get one of them for only 120 Euros (Honestly should have added this my bad).
    Would you personally think that it's worth a shot at that price ^^?
    ---
    Also is any bios modding required for that 980m/did you have to mod your vbios? Or Drivers?
    ---
    HP 8770w huh, it may be a good idea to look into that direction instead, but in my case the cost difference is roughly 100 euros, I don't know if that's truly worth it, since I don't plan on using any of those features.
    --
    Also one more thing, I've been hearing about a Tesla M6, it's a compute card so I doubt it would work, you got any idea?

4. mirage_bg

mirage_bg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yes, why not - if it doesn’t work, you can always resell it for even more than you spent on it...

As long as the vBios is Dell, Clevo, MSI or Prema - you are good to go. Driver .inf mod is a must though...you can’t avoid this one.

100€ more is worthy in my opinion - you get faster, cooler and more future proof system in general. I would...

About the new Tesla M6 - I really don’t know if it would work either on 8760W or on 8770W... most probably with some vBios (from M5000M for instance) it will (at least on 8770W)

ThatDamnFrog likes this.
  5. ThatDamnFrog

Reputations:
    --
    Alright I'll take a closer look at this all, tmrw will report any findings or anymore questions.
    Thanks a lot once again

mirage_bg likes this.
  6. ThatDamnFrog

Reputations:
    @SMGJohn
    Hi, so I'm looking to get an RX 480 4GB mobile (With Hynix RAM, specifically: H5GQ4H24AJA ) working in a HP 8760w (More info is in the main post above), I know this Laptop is completely different from what you've worked with.
    But, by any chance do you have any tips or info you can give me regarding these cards? (I found you in close to all threads regarding this card if you are wondering)
    Edit: *perhaps what to do if it doesn't work aside from resell it. (i.eg if it doesnt show up in the bios, driver install fail)
    Also did you have to modify your drivers in any way?
    Cheers

7. johnbb

johnbb Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi,
    IIRC 8760w does not support graphics swtiching so RX480 may work but only on external display, as it only supports EDP screens. LVDS screens can output but only through INTEL GPU with help of OPTIMUS (nvidia) or ENDURO (AMD).
    The easiest way if you want RX480 is to look for HP ZBook 17 G1/G2, Alienware M17XR4 or R5, or DELL M6800.

ThatDamnFrog likes this.
  8. ThatDamnFrog

Reputations:
    Hi,
    Thanks for the info, I may walk away sad but informed.
    I'll be on the lookout for HP Zbooks and the other Laptops you mentioned. (Can I take the G3s, and up as well?)
    Also, from what I've heard at least, the LVDs method (using optimus/enduro or something)
    results in roughly a 20% perfomance loss (from what I've gathered), it probably isn't worth the hassle either?
    So from what I understand then, to use the RX 480 without any going to...decent lengths, it needs to have an EDP screen? And support AMD ENDURO?
    And because the HP elitebook doesn't have either,so it's not possible...to use it with the HP Elitebook's main screen in any way.., and I'd be stuck with external screens?
    @johnbb
    EDIT: Nevermind I get it, with the AMD ENDURO part, makes sense, but what about the perfomance loss part? Or is that false? Also from what I understand then, would this make me technically able to use a Tesla M6 with NVidia Optimus

Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
  9. ThatDamnFrog

Reputations:
    (the above is a reply, but I don't seem to be able to edit this, nor do I know if this is truly um neccessary, sorry I'm new to this website, just making sure you see this, thanks)

10. johnbb

johnbb Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Optimus/Enduro are basically the same, as the dedicated GPU signal is routed through the INTERNAL GRAPHICS PROCESSOR of the CPU.
    20% loss is a bit overstated I guess, but expect between 5 and 15% depending of the games or applications. Usually it's around 5-10% maximum.
    If you're looking for a "cheap" gaming machine, go for a BGA notebook with Ryzen and 1660Ti, you can get one for 800 to 900€ brand new.
    If you're super tight on a budget, go for a second hand laptop with 1060 or 1070 GTX, for 550€.
    If you like tweaking and upgrading laptops, or if your budget is less than 500€, then go for 2nd hand HP Zbook 17 G1/G2 with i7 CPU, buy a RX480 and 1TB SSD and you're good to go! You can even try the haswell microcode hack to overclock your i7 CPU. I've seen i7 4700mq reaching 4.5Ghz, even better than some 4930mx...

I'd stay away from Tesla M6 as you will NEVER be able to output to an external screen... It only works with OPTIMUS on internal screen.