*HP EliteBook 8740w Owners Lounge - PART 2*

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by Aikimox, Sep 7, 2010.

?

What is your EliteBook 8740w config (select one from each category)?

1. Non-DreamColor 2 screen

96 vote(s)
    35.0%
  2. DreamColor 2 Screen

114 vote(s)
    41.6%
  3. Dual-core Processor

64 vote(s)
    23.4%
  4. Quad-core Processor

138 vote(s)
    50.4%
  5. ATI M7820 Graphics

123 vote(s)
    44.9%
  6. Nvidia FX 2800M

43 vote(s)
    15.7%
  7. Nvidia FX 3800M

47 vote(s)
    17.2%
  8. Nvidia FX 5000M

27 vote(s)
    9.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. sinitar

sinitar Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thank you a lot! This machine works fine so far. The screen is wonderful, however it is too bright with default setting. I used the HP mobile display assistant to configure it and the software said the color accuracy would decrease if I change the brightness. HP should incorporate a calibrating equipment in this machine like Thinkpad W700 series.

2. Miss_Ivy

Miss_Ivy Newbie

Reputations:
    I just wanted to thank everyone in this thread who have contributed with all their data and experiences with their lovely 8740w. I made the plunge 5 minutes ago and ordered one... I don't think I've been this excited since I purchased my little (and now broken...) T60p 4 years ago. She held on the good fight, but clearly wanted me to move on....to bigger shinier *drools* IPS pastures.

I don't think I've ever been so nervous to make a phone call in all my life. They initially offered me 20% off, and I shut my eyes and said "I was hoping you could make it the 28%..." after a few moments hold they agreed. :D EEEEEE! Seriously feel like I'm on cloud 9. I wish I could bake my sales rep cookies, but that might count as stalking and be frowned upon. :(

3. sheltem

sheltem Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Based on specifications, the FirePro M7820's gaming performance is between a desktop Radeon 5750 and 5770.

4. Wizman

Wizman Notebook Guru

Reputations:

Come on Rampage, be honest. ;) We were told you used a really big hammer to properly seat that lovely NewmodeUS caddy.

That's what happens when you use non-HP parts. :eek:
    [​IMG]
    Does it fit yet? Bang! Does it fit yet? Bang! Does it fit yet? Bang! :wink:

Here's the actual video of Rampage making final adjustments to his 8740w on the ground::D
    http://www.bydesignhost.com/HAMMER_4.gif

5. Wizman

Wizman Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi Charles P.

I just purchased and highly recommend the Western Digital Scorpio 2.5-Inch 500 GB SATA Internal Hard Drive WD5000BEKT (Black). Amazon has a great price on it with no tax and free shipping: Amazon.com: Western Digital Scorpio 2.5-Inch 500 GB SATA Internal Hard Drive WD5000BEKT (Black): Electronics

I'm still waiting for the HP caddy to put it into (will be here Monday)...and for my replacement 8740w to put the caddy into. :rolleyes:

6. RampageII

RampageII Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    haha, good one. :D
    You should show that to the guy that used the hammer.

7. Koshinn

Koshinn Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yeah in general they don't fit PERFECTLY, but they can be made to fit without any tools. It's still the only way to get a 1TB drive into your 8740w. :D

8. HiddenUser

HiddenUser Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Really? Wow, I must be the only guy complaining about the flex :p (except Aiki and Charles :D ).
    I said before, and I'm repeating again: the backlit keyboard is a FAIL, with all letters uppercase :mad: I used to type on a desktop keyboard for 15 years... and I don't feel comfortable with the horrible flex present on the BL keyboard, even on the QWERTY keys!

Here I go with my proposal to all BL keyboard unhappy owners:
    What about if we complain publicly to HP at their own forums? Do you think this could have some repercusssion? Is it worth a try?

You're a lucky guy. My drive was the Samsung 256GB and it was installed on the upgrade bay! (wrong). Also, a Seagate Momentus 7200.4 was intalled on the primary bay (what a bad drive!) :(

9. HiddenUser

HiddenUser Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It's very likely it's a H-IPS panel (the very best). See this HP LP2475w macro photograph for comparison. The 2475w is an 8-bit H-IPS desktop monitor with wide gamut coverage.

10. Sotton

Sotton Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    what is so bad about it? I have a few Momentus (different models) in use but all is fine, however, maybe I do not know how it could be ;)