*HP EliteBook 8740w Owners Lounge - PART 2*

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by Aikimox, Sep 7, 2010.

?

What is your EliteBook 8740w config (select one from each category)?

1. Non-DreamColor 2 screen

96 vote(s)
    35.0%
  2. DreamColor 2 Screen

114 vote(s)
    41.6%
  3. Dual-core Processor

64 vote(s)
    23.4%
  4. Quad-core Processor

138 vote(s)
    50.4%
  5. ATI M7820 Graphics

123 vote(s)
    44.9%
  6. Nvidia FX 2800M

43 vote(s)
    15.7%
  7. Nvidia FX 3800M

47 vote(s)
    17.2%
  8. Nvidia FX 5000M

27 vote(s)
    9.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. sgogeta4

sgogeta4 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I'm surprised with the battery life:

940XM/5000M vs. 920XM/2800M is pretty much the same factoring standard error, thought the former would consume a bit more power for the performance difference.

840QM/M7820 vs. 720QM/2800M that the latter has a significant better battery life on idle (need the rest of the results to compare, but I'd expect the former to beat the latter here)

As expected though, as your lower the cores/clock speed, power consumption goes down. Too bad can't undervolt these CPUs, better battery life at that power would be phenomenal.

2. Siorah

Siorah Beware of Squirrels!

Reputations:
    my 2800M downclocks to 120/200 on battery, which is really nice. draws 10w. and i can watch basic avi things/dvd on that without it going aboe 200/400 on clocks. put a bluray on though, screws it up. even though it doesn't NEED to upclock, it does anyways...

Sigh. I've ordered a momentus XT to tide me over until my SSD returns.

no love :(

3. Wizman

Wizman Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    My following comments are mostly for those of you who just ordered or are about to order a new Elitebook 8740w from HP. My comments and observations are based on my personal experience as a small business customer based in California. I assume your experience might differ depending on where you are located.

First, let me say that I spent many months researching which new laptop to buy for my business (and personal) use and eventually placed my order at the beginning of November with the hope of receiving my new 8740w on or about my birthday, Nov.24th. I figured a 3 week turnaround from the time I placed an order until the time of delivery based on comments I read here in the HP Elitebook 8740w Owners Lounge over the past few months. Great forum guys, thank you!

As I posted previously, I submitted my 8740w order on Nov.4th, but never received an order confirmation from HP. A few days later (Nov.9th), I called my HP Sales rep to ask her why I had not received an order confirmation. She seemed confused for a moment and then said she would look into it. An hour later, I received an order confirmation from HP (not from my HP Sales rep) via e-mail that now showed my order date as Nov.9th, not Nov.4th. I never heard back directly from my HP Sales rep. I couldn't help wonder if she forgot to place my order back on Nov.4th. I was only concerned because I didn't want my order delayed by 5 days or more because they entered my original order date wrong (or not at all). :eek:

On Nov.15th...11 days after my initial order...I received another e-mail from HP with an Estimated Ship Date of Dec.14th. That e-mail also included a link to my "Configuration Status". The configuration status showed that my order was "Order Allocated / Config Reviewed" on Nov.10th. I assumed I could periodically check this "Configuration Status" link to watch the progress of my 8740w as it went through its various stages of production, but you know what they say about assumptions. :rolleyes:

I checked the "Configuration Status" daily, but it was never updated... and then suddenly I received an e-mail on Monday (Nov.22nd) from HP saying that my order had shipped! So much for HP Estimated Ship Dates and the on-line "Configuration Status". :p

The good news is my 8740w shipped from Shanghai a little over 2 weeks after my initial order date and FedEx tracking confirmed that my new 8740w was suppose to arrive here in California next Monday Nov.29th...delayed a few days because of the Thanksgiving Holiday. :cool:

After receiving this surprise notice of shipping early Monday, I then had several e-mail exchanges with my HP Customer Care rep asking why my new 8740w would not be delivered this week...since I was promised "3-day" FedEx Express delivery once the machine shipped. And since FedEx is working Friday and Saturday this week (only closed Thursday for the Thanksgiving Day holiday), I figured it was reasonable to expect delivery on Friday (i.e. FedEx Express 3-day delivery).

The responses from my HP Customer Care rep was quick and supportive, but he had various excuses as to why my new 8740w was being delivered in 7-days instead of the promised 3-days.

The first excuse was that delivery would indeed be 3-days, but would be delayed because of the "long weekend" and due to "FedEx being closed and not working" Thanksgiving day and the following day.

After I informed my HP Customer Care rep that I had just confirmed that FedEx was indeed working everyday this week (including Saturday) except for Thursday, Thanksgiving day, my HP Customer Care rep apologized saying:

"I am sorry I just got confused with the carriers that we have, yes indeed this will be on Friday and Saturday for express services will be open. I just verified this with coworkers and team leads and yes you do have a 3 day delivery as soon as this order is in US ground. Since the order can be held at the customs in Alaska for some extra time.".

Now he's telling me that FedEx Express 3-day service is not really 3-day service from point of origin (HP, Shanghai China), but from when the package actually arrives in the US. Huh? :confused:

After several e-mail exchanges with my HP Customer Care rep and his ever-changing excuses, I decided to give up. :( Heck, I can wait until next Monday, Nov.29th, the FedEx estimated delivery date for my order to arrive.

Then another big surprise, Knock, knock, who's there? Wow, it's my lovely FedEx delivery gal knocking on my door this morning with an equally lovely HP package in hand. How did they know it was my birthday? :D That's 20 days from the date I placed my initial order until the date the computer was delivered.

So, the moral of my story is that my HP Sales and HP Customer Care reps seemed somewhat confused, detached, and misinformed regarding my 8740w order process and the HP on-line "Configuration Status" was useless for tracking the actual production of my 8740w.

I highly recommend you stay on top of your HP Sales and Customer Care reps from the moment you place your 8740w order. Make sure you carefully review your initial order for errors after you submit it with your Sales rep and he/she e-mails you back a copy of the actual order entered. I provided my Sales rep with a written, detailed CTO configuration via e-mail and she still made errors when she entered my 8740w order. :(

Once you are convinced your order is entered correctly, good luck with trying to figure out a real estimated ship date. The on-line "Configuration Status" function appears broken. Same for any information you get from HP Customer Care regarding your order...they didn't seem to have a clue on its actual status. And as proof of this, FedEx tracking shows that my order went from Shanghai China to Memphis TN to California...with no stops or delays in Alaska as suggested by my HP Customer Care rep. :(

I successfully managed a very large Customer Service Organization for a well-known multi-billion dollar Silicon Valley computer company for several years and can offer this advice to HP's Customer Care organization. If you don't know the answer to a customer question (i.e. when will my computer ship?), then say "I don't know". A customer would rather have no information then misleading or wrong information. If you promise to follow up with a customer on a specific date and time...even if you can't get the information the customer wants, then ALWAYS follow up when promised. Customers will almost always be patient if they know you are telling them the truth. Dont make things up when talking to customers!

For those of you considering a 8740w order, please don't take any of my comments negatively. The bottom line is my new HP 8740w was delivered exactly 20 days from the day I initially placed my order with my HP Sales Rep and she gave me an excellent (28%) sales discount on my order. Whether the HP order status system works or not, my new computer arrived MUCH sooner then I expected. Maybe there is some good sense behind HP's order madness? They seem to limit our expectations and then surprise us with excellent delivery times. :p

No matter, go pop a cork "Wizman"...it's happy birthday time! (yes, it is really my birthday today...neat birthday present, huh?) :D There is a delicious birthday cake waiting to be shared with my lovely wife tonight and an equally lovely computer that still needs to be opened.

I'll take some photos and provide some feedback on my initial reactions as I open, unpack, and exercise my new 8740w. Lets hope they got my order right AND that it turns on. ;)

4. sinitar

sinitar Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I placed my order on Nov 10th, with an estimated shipping date of Dec. 1st. I contacted the sales rep today and was told my order was delayed with an ESD of Dec 16th. I was quite angry because I would probably be in a vacation then and will miss the delivery. However when I call the customer service, they said my laptop will be shipped out tomorrow. Totally confused now......

5. Siorah

Siorah Beware of Squirrels!

Reputations:
    FYI for those with 'delays'

There is a part shortage on Intel Components. CPU/wireless etc, as well as a small board - i believe its the usb3 board.

They give out long dates due to covering their own backs.

Our new 5000M/940XM pc's arrived today (like 5 mins ago) when we were told dec 15th

6. Wizman

Wizman Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Perfect example of what I experienced too. I think it's better they give out no information...then wrong information. :( And at a minimum, there should be some coordination between the Sales rep and the Customer Care rep so they both provide the same information! :eek: I hope they ship tomorrow as promised sinitar!

I'd rather they tell me the truth...that they're waiting for backordered parts and also keep the "Configuration Status" up to date. My Customer Care rep was clearly making things up as he went along. :rolleyes:

Congratulations on the new machines Sio. Like I said, it's time to "pop a cork" and celebrate! I assume you ordered 230W PS's with that configuration? Me too. :cool:

7. sinitar

sinitar Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thanks Wizman. Hope to hear more about your experience with the new machine!

8. Wizman

Wizman Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I opened the new 8740w tonight and played with it a bit after configuring 64-bit Windows 7. First impressions were very good. I'll give a more detailed report soon.

Unfortunately, I've already found a few things that are not right. I ordered the optional 230W PS, but they sent me the standard 200w PS instead.

Also, doesn't the backlit keyboard turn on/off using fn+spacebar??

Well, mine does not light up, but the keyboard seems to have the flex typical of the backlit keyboard. So, I don't know what they sent me unless I have the command wrong to turn it on/off. :confused: I guess I'll find out quick enough when I remove the keyboard to add new memory in a day or two.

Overall, it's a great laptop...far better then anything I've ever owned...including my older ThinkPads. :p

9. m8o

m8o Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    They may have forgot to connect the BL cable. This happened to another owner on this forum many many moons ago. Perhaps pop-off the keyboard and look for that? There are some tabs that need to be depressed in the bottom keyboard gap (at least 5 by my count), but as I haven't done it I don't feel comfortable instructing beyond that.

10. stug

stug Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have received mine today. It looks fine, bur i am still updating and configuring it. I will report later more detailed.