*HP EliteBook 8740w Owners Lounge - PART 2*

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by Aikimox, Sep 7, 2010.

?

What is your EliteBook 8740w config (select one from each category)?

1. Non-DreamColor2 screen

95 vote(s)
    34.9%
  2. DreamColor 2 Screen

114 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Dual-core Processor

63 vote(s)
    23.2%
  4. Quad-core Processor

137 vote(s)
    50.4%
  5. ATI M7820 Graphics

121 vote(s)
    44.5%
  6. Nvidia FX 2800M

43 vote(s)
    15.8%
  7. Nvidia FX 3800M

47 vote(s)
    17.3%
  8. Nvidia FX 5000M

27 vote(s)
    9.9%
  1. RampageII

RampageII Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    No, I'd say he's pretty clear.
    He doesn't mind spending when it comes to hardware that improves performance, such as GPU, SSD and probably CPU of course.
    Notice, the only part where he hesitates is the display.

Sounds like the dude is more interested in performance than pretty colors.
    He reminds me of someone. ;)

Reading comprehension FTW. lol :D

2. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    Yeah, not my strongest side for sure :eek:

3. Koshinn

Koshinn Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I tested and found lag in street fighter 4 (which is 3d), but I felt it in stepmania. I'll actually post test results next time, but the test wasn't a "seat of the pants" test, it was a test utilizing a 60fps camera and counting frames.

4. RampageII

Reputations:
    @Aikimox,

You said that as a "Software Developer" you find DC2 display to be very beneficial right?

Here are some typical tasks performed by software developers.

Software Developer Typical duties;

Client discussions to gather requirements.
    Closely worked with Project Managers to manage the project scope, identify & deploy the appropriate resources to support the systems development efforts.
    Drawing used case, association, class, activity Diagrams prototype design
    Involved in coding in creating event driven Windows Application Services using C#.Net. Prepared, callable statement to connect with database.
    Trouble shooting, Bug Tracking, Bug fixing and helping others.
    Creating .Net Framework customized classes that would be used later as the building blocks for the application.
    Developed Customized Win forms, Win Controls, Functional Library, Data Components
    Developed event driven customized distributed COM components to interact across application domains.
    Code Conversions from VB6,VBA to .Net library class functions

Develop interfaces to the application using XML.
    Resolving backward compatibility issues such Version conflict, Error reporting.
    Environment: C#.Net, VB. Net, VB6.0 ,MS SQL Server 2000, MS SQL Analysis Server, MS Visual Studio.Net, Windows DNA, HTML, JavaScript, VBScript.

Sounds like behind the scenes type of work with a lot of coding involved.

What part of those tasks makes the DC2 RGB, 150% Adobe color gamut come in handy?
    I mean, you don't need all that to read basic text like this do you? :confused:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2015
  5. Koshinn

Koshinn Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You ask why I got defensive? I asked a simple question, you "threw" my signature back at me as "proof" that gamers want the DC2 to make games look pretty, obviously implying that I was one of them, so I decided to set you straight. Are you really that dense that you didn't realize that? If I didn't know NBR better, I'd think you were trolling me right now.

Rampage, you need to understand that people spend money for various reasons, and acting all high and mighty by criticizing their purchasing decisions when you really don't know anything about them is immature at best. And that's the point I'm trying to drive into you. If you can be wrong about me, you can be wrong about anyone. So stop with the broad generalizations.

6. RampageII

Reputations:
    Haha,
    Come on man, with all those games listed in your signature, you were practically asking for it. LOL

Besides, the point I was trying to get across is that the DC2 is not essential for what most of you do for a living.

Here, I'll quote myself to make it easy;
    "Most (not all) of the people on this thread that have Dreamcolor display did not buy because it's essential for the the work they do.
    They paid the premium mainly because they figured their video games would look cooler in a professional laptop with in 10-bit color.
    "

And in case you didn't catch that, yes I was over-generalizing when I said you guys bought DC2 mainly to make your games look pretty.
    It also makes the internet browser look pretty. There, no I covered everything. ;) LOL

But yes, definitely let us know how much lag you find in DC2 display while playing SF4. :laugh:

7. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    That's funny.
    The point here is that I stare at my screen 10-12 hrs a day. And if you don't see why someone might want to indulge one's eyes - then forget it.

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2015
  8. RampageII

Reputations:
    Ahh, cheer up Aikimox. ;)

9. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    Hahaha, ROFL! Nerd of the Rings! Return of the Dorks! :D
    That deserves a rep!

10. m8o

m8o Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I don't check-in NBR for 1/2 an afternoon and look @ what I miss! :p

As a fellow developer having used many display types [CRT, TN & IPS] and resolutions I can say the best answer regarding benefit of DC2 to software developers has been stated... in short, viewing angle! right-up there w/the resolution it comes with; vividness just another plus. That really should end it.

...in long since that seemingly couldn't be accepted for some reason...

Years back when I worked from home on my own time I used to use a 23" 1920x1200 IPS display [years before I knew what an IPS display was] as a secondary display to another display. Real-estate was fantastic as we developers usually have a few dozen windows open @ a time.

I then dropped to use a single 1680x1050 TN display in one of my personal machines once I stopped using a docking station and started being more mobile as to where and when I worked. Loss of real-estate was difficult, but not a handicap that I found unduly limiting. Today, corporate mandate has me using a 1440x900 display, which really suks! That's not really pertinent to this topic as luckily even the lower rez 8740w is at least 1680x1050, but that I am forced/mandated to use it is pertinent to my point below.

So...

1) I'll state unequivocally having an informed opinion about it that developing [debugging to be more precise] on 1050px is not as pleasurable as 1200px high display. It probably goes without saying to anyone who is a software developer, so I only bother to say it for the non-developer's benefit.

2) And I'll state unequivocally having an informed opinion about it, that being someone who actually uses his laptop in his lap about 95% of the time, shifting around in my seating position will result in my head moving above or below the screen, away from perpendicular. And when the display is a TN display that will dim and gray the display by a significant amount. Which is enough to make the light loss beyond an acceptable amount and requires me to have reach to the display to open or close the lid to make the screen perpendicular to my eyes. ... and that not only grows old, but even moreso knowing I have the fabulous viewing angle provided by my 8740w that I'm dying to do my work on, but that I'm not allowed to use due to that frig'n corporate mandate cited above.

So even tho I bought my 8740w w/DC2 specifically to post process RAW D-SLR pics, as I used to develop and debug on a 1920x1200 IPS display, I know 1st hand what I'm missing and only wish I could use this 8740w IPS display to develop on now too.