*HP EliteBook 8740w Owners Lounge - PART 2*

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by Aikimox, Sep 7, 2010.

?

What is your EliteBook 8740w config (select one from each category)?

1. Non-DreamColor 2 screen

96 vote(s)
    35.0%
  2. DreamColor 2 Screen

114 vote(s)
    41.6%
  3. Dual-core Processor

64 vote(s)
    23.4%
  4. Quad-core Processor

138 vote(s)
    50.4%
  5. ATI M7820 Graphics

123 vote(s)
    44.9%
  6. Nvidia FX 2800M

43 vote(s)
    15.7%
  7. Nvidia FX 3800M

47 vote(s)
    17.2%
  8. Nvidia FX 5000M

27 vote(s)
    9.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. kaliatech

kaliatech Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Windows 7 Enterprise is same as Windows 7 Ultimate, just different licensing model. (reference). So you won't be missing any built-in Windows features.

All of the HP 8740w utilities and programs are download-able from the HP support site.

2. knight427

knight427 theenemysgateisdown

Reputations:
    This is it for tonight. They are taking away my other computer tomorrow, I have a lot to do. :(

Tom's 2D
    [​IMG]
    *1227 (avg of 5 runs...got 1345 avg on my ATI)

Specviewperf 11

[​IMG]
    *I moved the window during maya-03 causing the rotations to stop...not sure if changed the score...no time for re-test for now...I also have no idea if these are good scores

3. NotebookGrail

NotebookGrail Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Folks, today the dreaded crash happened. My unit crashed 10 times. Each time i login to windows, after about 5-10 min, the system freezes, shuts down and restarts automatically only to say ' No system disk, Insert and press any key'. It also gave the following prior to it.

"PXE-E61: Media Test Failure, Check cable"
    "Invalid system disk error. Replace and press any key"

The only way out of this is power off, then power on again.

The 10th crash completely screwed the system. The power off/on trick didn't work. Then i had to go to BIOS and disable LAN boot (something to that effect).

Initially i thought if the HDD/SSD is not seated properly. So removed and inserted it again. But no help on that front.

These are the error logs found:

1. Kernel-Power :The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
    2. The Network List Service service depends on the Network Location Awareness service which failed to start because of the following error:
    The dependency service or group failed to start.
    3. The Network Location Awareness service depends on the Network Store Interface Service service which failed to start because of the following error:
    4. DCOM got error "1068" attempting to start the service fdPHost with arguments "" in order to run the server:
    {D3DCB472-7261-43CE-924B-0704BD730D5F}

The last time i got errors 2,3,4 was on 8/18 - it was right around i got the unit.

I haven't installed any new programs in the past 2 months other than automatic system updates.

Any thoughts/help?.

4. Siorah

Siorah Beware of Squirrels!

Reputations:
    wow those scores trounce the 2800M lol.

sigh i want one now... my 3D workflow would be so much nicer with the 5000M!

thanks for the update knight. goodluck with swapping stuff over from your computer.

5. Siorah

Reputations:
    Code:
    	Folks, today the dreaded crash happened. My unit crashed 10 times. Each time i login to windows, after about 5-10 min, the system freezes, shuts down and restarts automatically only to say ' No system disk, Insert and press any key'. It also gave the following prior to it.

"PXE-E61: Media Test Failure, Check cable"
    "Invalid system disk error. Replace and press any key"

The only way out of this is power off, then power on again.

The 10th crash completely screwed the system. The power off/on trick didn't work. Then i had to go to BIOS and disable LAN boot (something to that effect).

Initially i thought if the HDD/SSD is not seated properly. So removed and inserted it again. But no help on that front.

These are the error logs found:

1. Kernel-Power :The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
    2. The Network List Service service depends on the Network Location Awareness service which failed to start because of the following error:
    3. The Network Location Awareness service depends on the Network Store Interface Service service which failed to start because of the following error:
    4. DCOM got error "1068" attempting to start the service fdPHost with arguments "" in order to run the server:
    {D3DCB472-7261-43CE-924B-0704BD730D5F}

The last time i got errors 2,3,4 was on 8/18 - it was right around i got the unit.

I haven't installed any new programs in the past 2 months other than automatic system updates.

Any thoughts/help?.

notebook grail, the PXE fail thing is the intel network booting function

that only comes into play if the bios fails to find the hard drive/bootable media

i would go into the system bios - press escape and run a 'start up test'

something could be awry with your hard drive. do the drive tests too, i had a short disk fail when my machine used to do that - (my first 8740W was horrific) i couildn't post on here back then either to tell folks about it.

My problem was a bad HDD, which was causing all sorts of hell with the system, so i would try those to see what they say.

The HDD is easy to get replaced via hp, 1 phone call, you have it next day.

hope this helps man

6. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    @Knight,
    Wow, that card is the real deal when it comes to pro apps, it puts AMD desktop FirePro's to shame.
    Still, 2k extra is the price of a very decent gaming laptop or a 10 year old W. Golf, lol.

@NotebookGrail,
    It does look like an HDD/HDD controller problem, but I'd also do a power drain and maybe even reset the BIOS (remove the BIOS battery for a minute).

7. knight427

knight427 theenemysgateisdown

Reputations:
    Nvidia has newer drivers on their website than HP. But they warn that "OEMs may not provide technical support from issues that arise from the use of this driver." If I just set a restore point, there's no risk, right?

8. m8o

m8o Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Right. Actually, the install should itself set a restore point. You should be able to roll-back to the previous version of the driver w/o even needing to restore to a sync-point (I've done both).

edit: on a different note. Thanx for all that info ProdTog. Bummer things aren't accurate w/the HP branded calibrator. Makes me 2nd guess if I'll get one of them.

9. NotebookGrail

NotebookGrail Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @Siorah
    I did try the BIOS Test right after my 2nd crash. And no errors were reported. Strangely, the chkdsk did run automatically and did some recovery and finally said all good. After that, during the remaining crashes, no chkdk run at all.

@Aikimox
    I will try the power drain and BIOS Battery method.

I have the SSD as primary and HDD as secondary and did a symbolic link. I might as well replace both of them if the problem persists.

10. Siorah

Reputations:
    do you have the system diagnostics partition installed?

i'd do the full test. just to check - it could be hardware, or take one of your drives out and test that. it could be the mechanical drive is having problems