*HP EliteBook 8740w Owners Lounge - PART 2*

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by Aikimox, Sep 7, 2010.

?

What is your EliteBook 8740w config (select one from each category)?

1. Non-DreamColor 2 screen

96 vote(s)
    35.0%
  2. DreamColor 2 Screen

114 vote(s)
    41.6%
  3. Dual-core Processor

64 vote(s)
    23.4%
  4. Quad-core Processor

138 vote(s)
    50.4%
  5. ATI M7820 Graphics

123 vote(s)
    44.9%
  6. Nvidia FX 2800M

43 vote(s)
    15.7%
  7. Nvidia FX 3800M

47 vote(s)
    17.2%
  8. Nvidia FX 5000M

27 vote(s)
    9.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. VisionLight

VisionLight Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If you search back to my August post, I think you'll find you made a great choice. The unit connected immediately and reported the specs of the HDMI HD screen. HD video and audio transmission was seamless.

Once again, as in my last post, a caution. The device does have integrated DRM protection, so, if you are transmitting a blueray movie, you must toggle off the 8740w screen [fn/f4] or the HDMI stream will be interrupted. It'll "think" you're trying to make a duplicate copy of the BD. Also be aware that if you connect a screen with less than FullHD resolution (such as 720p), it will automatically downgrade your 8740w to the same resolution. Once disconnected, though, the 8740w will automatically refresh to the FullHD resolution again.

Edit: Having both machines, I didn't realize my previous post was in the 8540w forum. It's post #1569.

2. HiddenUser

HiddenUser Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thank you very much. Yes, I pretend to play Blu-ray movies on my TV (FullHD 1080p BTW) using that adapter and an external Blu-ray burner (sold separately), and also use the computer with my TV as screen sometimes.

It's good to know the 8740w supports HDCP signals without problems, when reviews said the opposite :)

BTW, do you have the FirePro card or one of the Quadros in your 8740w? Mine will be the FirePro, I hope this card don't be a problem...

3. VisionLight

VisionLight Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    ATI all the way on all three new machines. No problems at all so far. Zips right thru Adobe CS5. Do not play games on any of these machines, though, so can't talk to that. Also, I continue to not be a big fan of the competing hardware. Trust takes a while to be regained after the "bump"y road they travelled.

Note that ATI (er, AMD that is) is uping the ante today on OpenCL support in its 10.10 drivers (for desktop back to the 4000HD series so far, though I will say that I haven't installed them yet on my desktop rig). Sooner or later, all good things hopefully will be added to the HP/AMD mobile drivers.

4. NotebookGrail

NotebookGrail Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It looks like the same as i have except a different maker. So should be good to go. I haven't tried any blu-rays yet as i am waiting for a nice USB 3.0 blu-ray player to show up. But, i did try blu-ray rip (full quality) and it played fine. make sure you get a round HDMI cable. The flat one for some reason doesn't last long.

5. RampageII

RampageII Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yeah, that vBIOS update was not suppose to be for performance but rather to address existing bugs and or compatibility issues.

6. HiddenUser

Reputations:
    Ok, thank you guys (VisionLight & NotebookGrail). I can't wait for my 8740w anymore!! :D

7. Siorah

Siorah Beware of Squirrels!

Reputations:
    yea i guessed that.

it has fixed the Nvidia timeout on the pci-e bug, as well as the pci-e downclocking bug, the powersaving on pci-e down to V1.1 from 2.0 when the card is idle. it also now uses more gpu for flash videos, but the most important thing i've noticed is i get 3DS Max 2011 support that works with the newest driver, and i get GPU acceleration in Adobe CS5 with CUDA and suchlike.

so i'm quite happy with the update to be honest.

8. HiddenUser

Reputations:
    One question to all current owners :)

Is the eSATA port on the 8740w hot-swappable?

Thank you, guys ;)

9. RampageII

Reputations:
    Cool.
    That's a nice bonus then.

10. RampageII

Reputations:
    e-SATA can be a bit tricky.

* Sometimes I plug it in when the laptop is fully operational, flip the switch on the back of my eSATA dock adapter, and the system quickly detects the new HD. I can unplug eSATA cable and plug it back in and once again it recognizes the HD.

* On some occasions, it won't recognize it, so then I have to go to "disk manager" and do an HD rescan before it becomes visible.
    * But, if you have eSATA plugged in and the HD dock is turned on, before you start the laptop, then the HD is always recognized.