*HP EliteBook 8740w Owners Lounge - PART 2*

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by Aikimox, Sep 7, 2010.

?

What is your EliteBook 8740w config (select one from each category)?

1. Non-DreamColor 2 screen

96 vote(s)
    35.0%
  2. DreamColor 2 Screen

114 vote(s)
    41.6%
  3. Dual-core Processor

64 vote(s)
    23.4%
  4. Quad-core Processor

138 vote(s)
    50.4%
  5. ATI M7820 Graphics

123 vote(s)
    44.9%
  6. Nvidia FX 2800M

43 vote(s)
    15.7%
  7. Nvidia FX 3800M

47 vote(s)
    17.2%
  8. Nvidia FX 5000M

27 vote(s)
    9.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. James Armstrong

James Armstrong Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I don’t think the ram modules are compatible. The 8470 uses pc3-12800 and the 8740 uses pc3-10600

I will try for you after I get my cord

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. rahasyavadi

rahasyavadi Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It's turn for my bad! I thought I saw that both are 8740w!

3. Jeffguitar

Jeffguitar Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Oh no problem, you were trying to help, I appreciate the attempt. Thanks

4. Jeffguitar

Reputations:
    Uhg uhg uhg, the problems never stop.
    So I sent my 8740w quad core to the guy I got my dual core from. I wanted him to upgrade my 1gb 2800m vid card to a k3100m 4gb card like he put in this dual core.
    I get it back, install my hard drive SSD

Bios loads normal
    Windows screen comes up.
    Starting Windows
    Then my screen turns a solid color
    Sometimes orange, or green, or gray, or black. Just a solid color.

I then restart it holding down the power button, same.
    Then I go in to safe mode and win 7 starts up, no problem.
    Now, after a safe mode boot, I can then hit restart and then win7 will boot as normal, I can play games all day, no problems.

So in short, win 7 needs to boot in safe mode first, then restart from there and Windows will boot normally.

I suspect it is the new vid card because from a cold boot, power off completely, this is when I get the color screens
    But after safe mode then restart, power does shut down, it only restarts the computer, so this is happening when the power has been completely off.

As long as win7 can first start unsafe mode, then restart she will boot.

Of course, I did full uninstall of Nvidia drivers with clean install Option, no help.
    I even used ddu driver uninstaller, no help.

Then again, the vid card shouldn't care about whether safe mode has been run, I mean, if it is bad it should start with those colors no matter what.

I had this SSD drive in my dual core using it, no probs with this win 7 install in that. So the test I need to run then is to reput my other drive back in this quad core with that win 7 install and see if it does it with that drive and win 7 install too.

Anyone seen anything like this?

I am running without a battery but have done that for a good while, my dual core is just fine and also without a battery in.

I'm telling ya, this computer stuff is driving me nuts.

5. James Armstrong

James Armstrong Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Ya same here... I got my cord. Plugging it all in. Black screen. Fans all work well but nothing boots. Hdd flickers for a sec then nothing. No splash screen. Tried to boot from a stick but still nothing....hmmmmm
    My card is the 7970

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Jeffguitar

Reputations:
    Wow, hate to hear that James. Mine does great once I boot first in to safe mode then hit restart. I'm watching YouTube on it now, I can pressure it all day, run flight sim for a long time, use my daw software and record and run plugins, so it runs normally and awesome, it just boots to that solid color screen when cold booting from power all the way down.

I can't understand why Windows can then boot after a safe mode boot.

Looks like we both have experimenting to do. I'm gonna first try less involved stuff, like putting a battery in
    Then try switching the power adapters from dual core to quad core.
    Then the test that will tell me a lot, put my drive with win 7 from the dual core in the quad core and see if this still happens with a totally different drive withdwith win 7 on it.

7. Jeffguitar

Reputations:
    Looks like it's my vid card. I put my win 7 drive in it from the dual core and it still had the solid color screens. Then boot in to safe mode, restart from there where it doesn't completely shut the power down and it boots just fine and works just fine all day, flight sim, recording, everything. HWinfo64 sees the card and gives the same info as it gives for the same vid card model in the dual core system. I have tried everything I can think of.

It's no huge deal because I just have to boot to safe mode once in the morning, but I think this may get worse. Come to think of it, I did see it needed 2 boots in to safe mode today one time, so safe mode doesn't 100 percent assure a normal boot,

Anyone ever seen anything like this?

8. Sandy Bridge

Sandy Bridge Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey all!

I fired up my 8740w this week for the first or second time this year... it hasn't been used much lately, though it did partake in a LAN back in December. Anyway, it's under the weather, with symptoms of trying to start up, lighting up some of the volume/wiki/etc. lights, and then turning back off suddenly a second or two later. It will then try to start up again in five seconds or so, but with the same results. This continues until I disconnect its battery and power supply.

Every so often it makes it a little farther, and once it got far enough to inform me that the CMOS checksum was incorrect. So I'm thinking I should probably try to replace the CMOS battery, which as far as I know is original (I bought the 8740w second-hand five or six years ago), and see if that helps. But I've never disassembled this laptop, so I was wondering if anyone has a copy of the service manual? There's a link to it in the OP, but the link is dead, and my efforts to find it on HP's site have not been successful. I'm comfortable with assembling laptops in general, so it's more of knowing where there are plastic hooks to spudge around, and if there are any other model-specific surprises. I've already verified that I have compatible hex screwdrivers.

I'm also curious if anyone else has experienced this, and if so what the prognosis is. I've removed the hard drive and the easily-accessible stick of RAM, but with no change in the behavior.

My 8740w's configuration is i5 520M + ATi FirePro M7820, with the dual DIMM motherboard and non-DreamColor screen.

Thanks!

9. ja666

ja666 Newbie

Reputations:
    My EliteBook 8540w DC behaves very similarly, it restarts 3-4 times till Windows 10 start. I suspect EliteBook's nVidia Quadro FX 1800M not having proper drivers under Win 10 (infamous PowerMizer case), but I might be wrong when it comes to cold restarting:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...its-nvidia-quadro-fx-1800m-card.567981/page-2
    And your card is ATI FirePro...
    I have HP EliteBook 8740w Mobile Workstation Maintenance and Service Guide.pdf (second edition March 2011, Document Part Number: 592668-002) in 6 MB file (forum upload limit is 2 MB).

10. Sandy Bridge

Sandy Bridge Newbie

Reputations:
    Interesting. It must be a different problem, as my laptop can't even get to Windows. My only nVIDIA laptops are either older (pre-PowerMizer), or much newer than the 8540w, so I haven't run into that specifically.

That sounds like the document I am looking for. Since it doesn't fit on the forums, I created a website via my e-mail provider, where you can upload it: http://nbr.aj.f-m.fm/ . IIRC the file size limit is 50 MB, so it should fit easily. I'll leave the site up for anyone else who is looking for the file in the future.