*HP EliteBook 8740w Owners Lounge - PART 2*

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by Aikimox, Sep 7, 2010.

?

What is your EliteBook 8740w config (select one from each category)?

1. Non-DreamColor 2 screen

96 vote(s)
    35.0%
  2. DreamColor 2 Screen

114 vote(s)
    41.6%
  3. Dual-core Processor

64 vote(s)
    23.4%
  4. Quad-core Processor

138 vote(s)
    50.4%
  5. ATI M7820 Graphics

123 vote(s)
    44.9%
  6. Nvidia FX 2800M

43 vote(s)
    15.7%
  7. Nvidia FX 3800M

47 vote(s)
    17.2%
  8. Nvidia FX 5000M

27 vote(s)
    9.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. James Armstrong

James Armstrong Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    That is very strange. My original processor was an i5-520m. I upgraded the the ram to 16g with no issues. I upgraded the cpu to an i7-920xm and the video card to an HD 7970m with an added fan. I’m waiting on a new cord to power the second fan so I haven’t booted it since the chip and card upgrade but I had no issues after originally upgrading the ram with the original cpu and M7820.
    I’m sure the bios was upgraded to the latest version too.

Last edited: May 28, 2020
  2. Jeffguitar

Jeffguitar Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi. Does your machine just have 2 memory slots or 4?. I heard that some dual cores came with 4 slots or some put dual core in 4 slot boards.

Can you give me the ram chip specs you are using?. Maybe the Crucial chip I have works in the quad core but not the dual core boards.

In my case, the bios would boot, Windows screen would come up, start to load, then it would sim, then shut down or the repair screen would come up. If I clicked on repair it would start to load Windows files and go dim or shut down again.

Now, there are some circumstances that may mean something.
    I had the SSD drive in this dual core in my quad core previously. I didn't want to have to reload Windows when I got my dual core, so I just put the SSD drive from quad core to 2 core. Windows booted, had to do some updating I guess for the CPU, and I had to load new vid drivers from the old 2800 to the k3100. The machine is running just fine but at first I had a couple conflicts with sound and such.

I tried to do a system file checker and it said it couldn't fix some issues, even running it in safe mode. So I assume Win 7 may still have some files that originally loaded up when Windows was installed on the quad core.

So that might be a factor. It kills me because I could have checked this easily. All I would have needed to do is just boot to my USB stick with win 7 on it and act as if I want a new install and see if it would load files as if I were going to do the install. If I got that far and let me get to the point where I could format my drive for the new install I would then know that the problem is because this Windows setup was originally done on the quad core and it may have files that won't allow these chips for some reason. I sent my chips off with the quad core now and can't do that test but it would have told me if a fresh install could have been done.

Thanks for any help

3. James Armstrong

Reputations:
    Wow, I’m so sorry. I totally got confused. I only have the two memory slots but I just realized I only have two 4 gig sticks. I also have an 8470 and it has the 2 8 gig sticks. I’m sorry to have wasted your time and created more confusion. If you manage to get it figured out I would be very interested in knowing if I can even upgrade to 16 as well. I swear to god I thought both laptops had 16 gig. My bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rahasyavadi likes this.
  4. rahasyavadi

rahasyavadi Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Maybe you can temporarily try the two 8GB sticks in the two-slot machine to see if they work. You may already know that the process is easy.

5. James Armstrong

Reputations:
    I don’t think the ram modules are compatible. The 8470 uses pc3-12800 and the 8740 uses pc3-10600

I will try for you after I get my cord

6. rahasyavadi

rahasyavadi Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It's turn for my bad! I thought I saw that both are 8740w!

7. Jeffguitar

Reputations:
    Oh no problem, you were trying to help, I appreciate the attempt. Thanks

8. Jeffguitar

Reputations:
    Uhg uhg uhg, the problems never stop.
    So I sent my 8740w quad core to the guy I got my dual core from. I wanted him to upgrade my 1gb 2800m vid card to a k3100m 4gb card like he put in this dual core.
    I get it back, install my hard drive SSD

Bios loads normal
    Windows screen comes up.
    Starting Windows
    Then my screen turns a solid color
    Sometimes orange, or green, or gray, or black. Just a solid color.

I then restart it holding down the power button, same.
    Then I go in to safe mode and win 7 starts up, no problem.
    Now, after a safe mode boot, I can then hit restart and then win7 will boot as normal, I can play games all day, no problems.

So in short, win 7 needs to boot in safe mode first, then restart from there and Windows will boot normally.

I suspect it is the new vid card because from a cold boot, power off completely, this is when I get the color screens
    But after safe mode then restart, power does shut down, it only restarts the computer, so this is happening when the power has been completely off.

As long as win7 can first start unsafe mode, then restart she will boot.

Of course, I did full uninstall of Nvidia drivers with clean install Option, no help.
    I even used ddu driver uninstaller, no help.

Then again, the vid card shouldn't care about whether safe mode has been run, I mean, if it is bad it should start with those colors no matter what.

I had this SSD drive in my dual core using it, no probs with this win 7 install in that. So the test I need to run then is to reput my other drive back in this quad core with that win 7 install and see if it does it with that drive and win 7 install too.

Anyone seen anything like this?

I am running without a battery but have done that for a good while, my dual core is just fine and also without a battery in.

I'm telling ya, this computer stuff is driving me nuts.

9. James Armstrong

Reputations:
    Ya same here... I got my cord. Plugging it all in. Black screen. Fans all work well but nothing boots. Hdd flickers for a sec then nothing. No splash screen. Tried to boot from a stick but still nothing....hmmmmm
    My card is the 7970

10. Jeffguitar

Reputations:
    Wow, hate to hear that James. Mine does great once I boot first in to safe mode then hit restart. I'm watching YouTube on it now, I can pressure it all day, run flight sim for a long time, use my daw software and record and run plugins, so it runs normally and awesome, it just boots to that solid color screen when cold booting from power all the way down.

I can't understand why Windows can then boot after a safe mode boot.

Looks like we both have experimenting to do. I'm gonna first try less involved stuff, like putting a battery in
    Then try switching the power adapters from dual core to quad core.
    Then the test that will tell me a lot, put my drive with win 7 from the dual core in the quad core and see if this still happens with a totally different drive withdwith win 7 on it.