*HP EliteBook 8740w Owners Lounge - PART 2*

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by Aikimox, Sep 7, 2010.

?

What is your EliteBook 8740w config (select one from each category)?

1. Non-DreamColor2 screen

95 vote(s)
    34.8%
  2. DreamColor 2 Screen

114 vote(s)
    41.8%
  3. Dual-core Processor

63 vote(s)
    23.1%
  4. Quad-core Processor

137 vote(s)
    50.2%
  5. ATI M7820 Graphics

122 vote(s)
    44.7%
  6. Nvidia FX 2800M

43 vote(s)
    15.8%
  7. Nvidia FX 3800M

47 vote(s)
    17.2%
  8. Nvidia FX 5000M

27 vote(s)
    9.9%
  1. Mastermind5200

Mastermind5200 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Firepro M6100

2. senso

senso Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Its a bit complex:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feature_levels_in_Direct3D#Direct3D_12

They support and can run DX12 only games, but if you can choose between DX11 and 12, DX11 usually performs a bit better in Maxwell(at least thats how it used to be).
    I wouldn't go much above a 980m with your CPU, maybe a 1060 because it will run cooler than the 980m and will perform a bit better.

3. MobileArtist

MobileArtist Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    A 1060 is more powerful than a 980M? What is the exact model designation for the 1060? Should I, once again, look for one with a Dell/Clevo/MSI Vbios, and will it work with the DreamColor screen?

Thanks!

4. senso

senso Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    A 1060 is 20-30% better than a 980m in games, and uses less power.
    There are semi-custom 1060's form MSI with a different RAM arrangement, but should fit your current heatsink and there are lots of 1060 mxm's on eBay in the 350€ ballpark.
    No ideia about the dream color display and what GPU's does it support.

5. MobileArtist

Reputations:
    Another friend of mine on the forum contacted me, and still is of the opinion that non-Quadro cards do not match well with the DreamColor screen.

Personally, I don't know what to make of any of this, which is obviously confusing!

My friend thinks the K5100M is the card of choice. Once again, I just don't know, and I respect everyone's input.

6. bobmook

bobmook Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    849Q bottlenecks even the GTX 965m (I know I've done it) but......the 980m *did* make the machine faster

7. ExEmEx

ExEmEx Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Im intending to grind the FX 2800 heatsink to fit a GTX 980M in my 8740W for testing purposes as it is acting unstable over 90% usage at regular clock speeds and shutting down my 8770W(GPU voltage speed fluctuates, core clock fluctuates at over 90% usage, perfcap switches from idle to power. Instantly shuts down and restarts over a relatively short time). I have the dremel bit and I only need to grind one part. Im confused as to which tool I use. Do I use the carbide bits to do the grinding for the heatsink or something else?

8. senso

senso Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Use a carbide bit, dont go full speed with the carbide, because if it bites you can harm yourself if you never used a dremel, go slow at first.

Then finish with a sandpaper roll/drum or one of the stones.

9. MobileArtist

Reputations:
    Recently, after a mishap when Spectrum interrupted the Internet while getting a Windows 10 update, requiring a complete OS rescue, I noticed a couple of nagging issues.

I prefer the TrackPoint to the Touchpad, and usually find it quite easy to disable the latter, going to settings, mouse, pointers etc., and then to show more options.
    At that point I get to a screen when I can disable either device. The problem is now everything in that screen is grayed out.

My technician friend told me to go directly to the manufacturers Website and reinstall the drivers, and I went to both HP and Synaptics. There's nothing to be found. The HP website claims to have no drivers for my 8740 W, and the Synaptics website led me to no driver downloads. The problem with the HP website is that it won't recognize my 8740 W running Windows 10. It doesn't have drivers for anything above 7.

I'd be grateful for any advice.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
  10. James Armstrong

James Armstrong Newbie

Reputations:
    You need to enter your OS on the hp site to see the drivers. Just use win 7