*HP EliteBook 8740w Owners Lounge - PART 2*

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by Aikimox, Sep 7, 2010.

?

What is your EliteBook 8740w config (select one from each category)?

1. Non-DreamColor 2 screen

96 vote(s)
    35.0%
  2. DreamColor 2 Screen

114 vote(s)
    41.6%
  3. Dual-core Processor

64 vote(s)
    23.4%
  4. Quad-core Processor

138 vote(s)
    50.4%
  5. ATI M7820 Graphics

123 vote(s)
    44.9%
  6. Nvidia FX 2800M

43 vote(s)
    15.7%
  7. Nvidia FX 3800M

47 vote(s)
    17.2%
  8. Nvidia FX 5000M

27 vote(s)
    9.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. James Armstrong

James Armstrong Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So I happened upon this forum and I have to say I'm really excited about what I've found here. I happen to have 2 HP 8740w's.
    I've managed to turn them into dual boot Hackintoshes (Win10 and High Sierra). The one has the Nvidia FX 2800 and the other has the ATI Firepro 7820. I was able to get the Ati 7820 working flawlessly with High Sierra but I couldn't get any video acceleration with the FX 2800. The highest Mac OS I can use is High Sierra because apple has decided to only support metal supported GPU's as of Mojave. Going over the list of supported GPU' I see the 7970M will work with the 8740's and I believe from what I read the 7970m will work with Catalina too.
    I have to say I really like Lwerewolf's mod with the added fan. I'm going to try it out. I've ordered a 7970m and a heatsink that is made for it. (Dell Alienware M17X R3 Heatsink CN-0J9H7X AT0FJ0030F0 HD 7970M AMD Cooler). I was looking at triturbo's mod to the Nvidia heatsink and thought it might be easier to go with a heatsink made for the 7970m. The FX2800 heatsink isn't quite long enough for the 7970 and even though I have access to a mill at work (lol I don't own a dremil), I'm going to order the Levonvo w701 heatsink and fan and frankenstein the two together. Think it should be relatively easy since the 7970m heatsink has the heat pipes coming off horizontally like the Levono heatsink. Think I might try to eliminate the rear rad on the Levono fan and bring it around inline with the other rad on the right side. Might try to use a donated heat pipe from the old Nvidia heatsink to get the length. I don't know...we will see.
    I've ordered the double pipe heatsink and a 920xm cpu aswell. I've already got a tube of the Liquid Ultra.

Lol I'm kinda excited about this mod. I've been looking for some vent trim pieces to fill the hole where the optical drive goes as well. I had planned on using the one 8740 for spare parts so instead of just drilling intake holes for the new fan, I'm going to cut the intake vent out of the bottom of the spare chasse and use it. Try to give it a more native look.
    I already have a Hp docking Station with a 230w power supply too

I have a Hackintosh 8470p with a 3820qm, 16 gigs of ram, set up as a triboot with Catalina,win10 and Ubuntu but its only has a 13 inch display.
    I can't get past the 8740's 17 inch display...I love that thing. Even though its a first gen, my 8740w certainly feels more like a real laptop then anything newer I've ever used.

Well anyway, wish me luck. Not sure how long all these parts are going to take to arrive but I'll be sure to post pics.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
  2. triturbo

triturbo Long live 16:10 and MXM-B

Reputations:
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
  3. bobmook

bobmook Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    getting ready to drop a gtx 980m in my trusty 8740w........ the 8760w received a K4000m (compatability) to make room for a fruity os before they go ARM and try to make pc's a toaster ....

4. ExEmEx

ExEmEx Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The K5000M actually works perfectly fine on the 8740, right after you install the drivers windows boots up into the mobile display, it just doesnt show up in the pre Windows environment(split second flash upon startup, then black screen until Windows starts) before that you just use the VGA or display port.

And the 780M is STILL stuck at whatever clock speed thats keeping the framerates super low. Kepler Bios Tweaker shows no 192-212MHZ in its boost states so I dont know where that is coming from or if that is the right speed. Memory is 1248 or so. Those reports are from GPU-Z, MSI Afterburner is same except the memory speed is double what GPU-Z reports. How do you check the current TDP value percentages?. Any driver past 365 WHQL(As far as ive tested, which is only 368) shows the correct clock states but when running GPU intensive tasks the clock speed goes to 849, BUT the framerates are exactly the same. Any drivers installed so far produce the same result. I wonder if anybody else has had this issue? or does the card just seem faulty?

980M works in 8740? What happened to those stuttering issues for Maxwell GPUs past the 965?(from what I read in the 8740 upgrade guide)

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
  5. bobmook

Reputations:
    i've had a 980m in mine with no issues i

6. triturbo

Reputations:
    It should work fine in either of the notebooks, so it might be. Or you can ask someone to mod the drivers for you, just in case.

7. bobmook

Reputations:
    I have found my 8740's to be battlehorses .....they just work. Personally I think it's the best laptop ever made. the gtx 980m is the upper limit......but sheesh that's still a fast card

i

i

8. ExEmEx

ExEmEx Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Last resort would be modded drivers/inf(which from where ive looked, the guys who made the good ones for the 780M are long gone and so are the drivers) and/or find a Clevo/Alienware/ASUS gaming laptop with an MXM slot to do a final confirmation or the GPUs state. What im doing now is going through the sections in the nv_dispi.inf. What im concerned about is the driver installation. when im reinstalling the drivers can I just do a custom clean installation instead of using DDU since the Nvidia installation utility already removes the previous driver through that, I imagine that wouldnt adversely affect the currently installed driver.

9. triturbo

Reputations:
    It is recommended to use DDU just to be sure that absolutely everything has been wiped. It is up to you after all.

10. James Armstrong

James Armstrong Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    https://ibb.co/Y7Q8SJM

Triturbo I’ve been playing with my spare 8740 laying out the mod before all my parts arrive. I was wondering if you had ever considered this. If I bend the double pipe for the gpu back, I should be able to solder the ends of the heatpipes together.
    I’ve tested bending on the heatpipes from my spare. Do you have any advise bending these pipes. The bends are kinda tight. I had better luck heating with a torch then a heat gun. The pipe doesn’t seem to like tight bends. I built up a couple jigs I thought that would help but the diameter of it was too small and it kinked the pipe as soon as I put pressure on it. I tried 1/4 and 3/8.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020