*HP EliteBook 8740w Owners Lounge - PART 2*

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by Aikimox, Sep 7, 2010.

?

What is your EliteBook 8740w config (select one from each category)?

1. Non-DreamColor2 screen

95 vote(s)
    35.2%
  2. DreamColor 2 Screen

113 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Dual-core Processor

63 vote(s)
    23.3%
  4. Quad-core Processor

137 vote(s)
    50.7%
  5. ATI M7820 Graphics

120 vote(s)
    44.4%
  6. Nvidia FX 2800M

43 vote(s)
    15.9%
  7. Nvidia FX 3800M

47 vote(s)
    17.4%
  8. Nvidia FX 5000M

27 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. Eugen Mezei

Eugen Mezei Newbie

Reputations:
    Do anyone have an ICC profile for the non-DC panel?

I do understand the profile of one panel would not exactly fit my copy of the same panel model. But I am not after color acuracy. I just want a crisp, bright display.
    Played around with the calibration built in windows 10 and got better results than before, but I still have something like a greyish layer all over the screen. (I want crisp, really white whites and brilliant colors, not the muddy ones I have now.)

My panel is the LP171WU7-TLB1 at (if of any importance) the Nvidia FX2800m graphic card.

2. Eugen Mezei

Eugen Mezei Newbie

Reputations:
    Damn it. Just took the 8740w out of the docking station and it fell of my hands. Right on the battery so the hooks that hold the battery broke of. (Fortunately the laptop itselfs still works.) Both hooks in the laptop and one hook of the battery.

What do I need to replace the hooks and how much disassembly does it suppose?

I taped the battery now to the bottom of the computer. Although it works, I like to have the hooks back.

3. triturbo

triturbo Long live 16:10 and MXM-B

Reputations:
    Most likely you have to change the entire bottom as I've not seen battery mechanism sold separately. In any case, you have to disassemble the whole laptop.

4. Eugen Mezei

Eugen Mezei Newbie

Reputations:
    I can get a complete bottom. But I am not very eager to dissasemble the entire laptop. No chance to just remove the mechanism from the replacement bottom and put it into my laptop without gutting it out?

5. triturbo

Reputations:
    No. The mechanism is underneath the motherboard, so it requires complete disassembly.

6. ExEmEx

ExEmEx Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi everybody, special shoutout to triturbo the OG of this thread. this is my first post. I have an 8740 of my own and through the 8740 upgrade guide I managed to upgrade to a 920XM and a 780m(Clevo model). I am experiencing an issue, as triturbo mentioned years ago, the clock speed of the 780m is a fraction of what it should be(192-212 Mhz) and is stuck there. I installed a few different laptop driver versions, changed some bios settings to no avail. I have a 230 watt adapter (HSTNN-LA12) and the 920xm is not being overclocked, I am on Windows 7 Pro I need help

Also the GPU and CPU that was in before was the FX 2800m and i7 650. I grinded the top of the FX 2800m heatsink where the top left MOSFETs sit on the GPU for the 780m to fit(only place I saw that was blocking a flush fit). Need some help to get this the GPU working properly.(until I buy an 8770w that is )

7. triturbo

Reputations:
    Hi there, nice setup! Do you use DDU for uninstalling drivers prior installing new ones?

8. ExEmEx

ExEmEx Newbie

Reputations:
    Yes I do use DDU everytime. The board is a dual core board. It seems like a hardware issue. Im using the 341.95 drivers from HPs website. I installed the ones from Nvidia using the nvbli.inf. the clock speeds show up as normal(many different WHQL versions and sections in the inf) but the framerates are low(GTX 460 low). only installing direct from the NV_dispi.inf does the true clock speed show that explains the very low framerate.

As I said im using the 341.95 drivers from HPs website. the true clock speed is showing. Sometimes though the 8740w turns on to a black screen and blinking LEDs from the touch panel(sometimes 3 blinks, sometimes 5 blinks) but a hard reset fixes the issue but thats rare(sometimes it happens after uninstalling the drivers in safemode with DDU). the GPU bios is 80.04.BD.00.05. the laptop bios is F.22

9. triturbo

Reputations:
    I just reached @pipkata since he was the one that did the testing. He had the same GPU and used modified drivers, click here to see how to do it.