*HP EliteBook 8740w Owners Lounge - PART 2*

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by Aikimox, Sep 7, 2010.

?

What is your EliteBook 8740w config (select one from each category)?

1. Non-DreamColor2 screen

95 vote(s)
    34.9%
  2. DreamColor 2 Screen

114 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Dual-core Processor

63 vote(s)
    23.2%
  4. Quad-core Processor

137 vote(s)
    50.4%
  5. ATI M7820 Graphics

121 vote(s)
    44.5%
  6. Nvidia FX 2800M

43 vote(s)
    15.8%
  7. Nvidia FX 3800M

47 vote(s)
    17.3%
  8. Nvidia FX 5000M

27 vote(s)
    9.9%
  1. kingofswag187

kingofswag187 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I know people have used the M390X/W7170M in the 8740W, I believe the 7970M also works, so I see no reason as to why the M6100 shouldnt.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Indeed. Any brand new GPU that is worth consideration as an upgrade option is going to cost nearly as much, if not more, than the resale value of a notebook this old. You have to really be in love with it for it to be worth doing, or just wanting to avoid the cost of a new system (substantially more than a simple GPU upgrade) with respectable specs. And, newer is frequently not better (frequently garbage, in fact,) so I get the whole concept and agree with the logic of doing it in spite of the fact that cost of the new GPU is more than the value of the laptop.

But, the link was offered only as an example to answer the question, not as a purchase recommendation. If it does not work they wouldn't advertise it for sale (at least not intentionally) as an upgrade option.

I doubt there would be any issue with it working with Windows or Linux. You might opt for something more powerful, like 780M or 880M, if you're going to take the plunge. If your current GPU is the smaller MXM 3.0A form factor, you may need the larger heat sink for MXM 3.0B. Definitely want to get something with at least 4GB of GDDR5 if you can.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
  3. bobmook

bobmook Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I got this one for 75 bucks and it has the dreamcolor and a backlit keyboard and I also have a 920 extreme cpu as well as the M6100 ,.....so I'd like to take this incredible find as far as I can :)

triturbo and Mr. Fox like this.
  4. 83bj60

83bj60 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Whoa! $75 is a steal! Sure I got my second 8740w for $50 but it wouldn't run for more than 10 minutes at a time and needed a complete dismantle (dust city), its battery latch is broken and it doesn't have a Dreamcolor panel... In the meantime I'm still looking for second hand 8730ws, last one I saw the seller wanted $400 for it, NO DC...

I've basically stopped using eBay for US stuff since most sellers went with the Global **** Program that basically made it uneconomical to order anything from the US. Instead I now get my stuff locally, but choice is much more limited. The only stuff I get online now is Chinese because they still have free shipping. Outrageous shipping fees to Canada is truly what has been killing online shopping here in Canada.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  5. kingofswag187

Reputations:
    I was more commenting on the fact that Eurocom want's $800 for their 980M's when you can get nearly 3 for that price now a days. I wouldn't really recommend any kepler mobile cards, as the value proposition isnt there, nor is the performance compared to similarly priced maxwell cards that are just generally better in everyway.
    Theyre asking if anyone has tested the M6100 in the 8740W, of which I have not found conclusive evidence against or for, but I assume it'll run anyways.

6. bobmook

Reputations:
    One thing I forgot ....does the M6100 need a different heat sink from the Nvidia ones?

7. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Assuming you are not moving from MXM 3.0A to MXM 3.0B, which are different form factors, then more likely than not it will fit. If it has black plastic (like a shroud) around the die area as some laptop heat sinks do, you may need to peel that off so it does not impede contact.

8. bobmook

Reputations:
    Well I tried it and the thing won't even post with he M6100 installed. Unless I can get someone like RMSMajestic to mod the Vbios for me I suppose this is a dead project ...........

Mr. Fox likes this.
  9. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Is the BIOS set for hybrid or auto for graphics switching? It probably won't work at all if that is set to disabled with a newer GPU with a UEFI (GOP) vBIOS. It has to boot from the Intel integrated graphics if the vBIOS does not support VGA.

10. kingofswag187

Reputations:
    As already stated, the 8740W doesn't have a iGPU, or Optimus.

Mr. Fox likes this.