*HP EliteBook 8740w Owners Lounge - PART 2*

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by Aikimox, Sep 7, 2010.

?

What is your EliteBook 8740w config (select one from each category)?

1. Non-DreamColor2 screen

94 vote(s)
    34.9%
  2. DreamColor 2 Screen

113 vote(s)
    42.0%
  3. Dual-core Processor

63 vote(s)
    23.4%
  4. Quad-core Processor

137 vote(s)
    50.9%
  5. ATI M7820 Graphics

120 vote(s)
    44.6%
  6. Nvidia FX 2800M

43 vote(s)
    16.0%
  7. Nvidia FX 3800M

47 vote(s)
    17.5%
  8. Nvidia FX 5000M

27 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. Jeffguitar

Jeffguitar Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    2 more flights with no crashes last night, so looking more and more like it was the dvd caddy with drive in it that was interfering with circulation inside the laptop. I guess it makes sense because even with the dvd drive in it and it even had a dvd in the drive all this time, it still had the hole in the modfile I guess where air could circulate theough the drive. But the hard drive caddy with drive in it has no hole, the drive is solid and I guess this is stoping circulation, and even a degree or 2 of extra heat could cause the vid card to hang.

Now that I have this awesomr usb cooler on it there have been no more crashes.

I wish I would have bought a cooler like this 2 years ago. This thing must keep my temps inside several degrees cooler which hopefully will extend the life of my laptop.

Ill post the link to the ebay cooler in case others ever need extra cooling.

Now im dreaming of this grx 965 video card if its nvidia of course. Man a more powerful geaphics card would really upgrade me for my fav sim of fsx.

2. Jeffguitar

Jeffguitar Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Couldn't figure out how to post the dar link to the auction, but here is the description to paste in to ebay for the usb cooling fan. This baby sucks some serious heat out of the laptop.

Mini Vacuum Air Extracting USB Cooling Pads Cooler Fan For Notebook Laptop PC

triturbo likes this.
  3. 83bj60

83bj60 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hello,

This is just to advise you to that Tinypic.com is shutting down its picture hosting service and is going to delete all the pictures I've linked to in the posts I've made in this forum, especially the 8740w and 8730w threads.

Yeah, you got that right: now it's tinypic's turn 'doing a photobucket' on us forum posters >:-(

I therefore strongly advice anyone who is interested in any of the stuff I've posted in this forum to go and get the posts/threads and to save them as MHT before the pictures are gone forever.

Mr. Fox and triturbo like this.
  4. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Man, that really sucks. I was one of the many that lost literally hundreds (maybe over 1,000) images from the clowns at PhotoBucket, many of which were embedded in forums here. I've got everything on imgur now. I hope they don't pull the same stunt some day.

triturbo likes this.
  5. 83bj60

83bj60 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Indeed! What I find most frustrating is there is no way to transfer the files to another provider - you must either go to each file and download it or if you have backups (somewhere ;) ) to reload them piecemeal to another hosting service and manually update all the links :mad:

Mr. Fox likes this.