*HP EliteBook 8740w Owners Lounge - PART 2*

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by Aikimox, Sep 7, 2010.

?

What is your EliteBook 8740w config (select one from each category)?

1. Non-DreamColor2 screen

94 vote(s)
    34.9%
  2. DreamColor 2 Screen

113 vote(s)
    42.0%
  3. Dual-core Processor

63 vote(s)
    23.4%
  4. Quad-core Processor

137 vote(s)
    50.9%
  5. ATI M7820 Graphics

120 vote(s)
    44.6%
  6. Nvidia FX 2800M

43 vote(s)
    16.0%
  7. Nvidia FX 3800M

47 vote(s)
    17.5%
  8. Nvidia FX 5000M

27 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. bobmook

bobmook Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    If I were you I'd save and get something like a GTX 860M or a GTX 965M ...... I've had both in one of these machines and they work great..... far better than the 3800 ....

83bj60 likes this.
  2. 83bj60

83bj60 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Duly noted! How do they compare performance and power consumption wise? I also have one with the 5000M which is a massive power guzzler, but it's needed to drive the DC2 screen I believe...

3. bobmook

bobmook Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    The GTX 965m has a TDP of 50 watts and the 860m uses 65. Those aren't particularly power hungry and given the experience I've had I would much rather go with the 965m. It seems to be far and away the fastest card an 8740w can support and won't break the bank doing so. Installation is among the easiest I've ever seen when it comes to MXM cards on a laptop and the stock system keeps everything cool so long as you take the time to clean up any mess while you have the hood up installing the GPU.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  4. rahasyavadi

rahasyavadi Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Jeff, I have found that if I take the switchboard cover off before the keyboard, the keyboard is much easier to get loose.

Jeffguitar likes this.
  5. Jeffguitar

Jeffguitar Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks Rahasya. Now that I belive I have discovered that my new ram is not the problem I probably won't need to open the keyboard.

To update a bit. I took the new 8 gig chip out and used just the 2 4gb chips as usual and shockingly, I still got the video teset timeout error.

I NEVER got this error even once before installing the new ssd and putting my original hdd in to my dvd slot with one of the caddy things you can buy.

So, it has to be some conflict with the drive, or maybe the drive and caddy is blocking air movement inside the case, I don't know. Anyway, yesterday I took the caddy out and left the dvd drive empty. I played 3 flights last night in flight sim, no crashes.

I doubt it is heat as when I took the caddy out the hdd drive was not even warm. It does not have any flight sim files on it and isn't even accessed during flight sim.

The only heat thing I could see it being is that the caddy is somehow blocking air movement. Im still running experiments. It's not a driver issue, I have tried the last updated original driver on the hp sote, and the newest driver on vvidia site, same crash.

I notice that my power ISO program has virtual drive named D drive, so I named my hdd in the expansion bay E drive, I'm wondering if somehow the computer wants the hdd drive to be D drive since it is a normal drive.

It can be the caddy cause there is no driver for that, it just plugs in live the dvd drive, so I cant see how that could be a problem.

So anyway, ill try to get in 3 or more flights tonight without the drive and caddy installed and over the next few days if I don't get a crash ill pretty much know it is something about my hdd being installed in that dvd caddy.

I also thought it could be a power issue, I do have an extra drive I wasn't using now when both drives are installed. I tried unplugging a couple usb devices, even my line 6 ux2 soundcard unplugged, still got the crash. So I don't belive the extra drive is causing a power drain that is causing the vid driver to timeout, but it could be I guess.

But right now as I type I am playing silent hunter 3 sub game, no crash in several hours of gameplay. I do have my 8 gb chip back in, so since last night, 3 flight sim flights, hours of sh3 today, no crashes with the dvd caddy and drive pulled out.

But, even with it in I have made several flights with no problems, so I'll have to run 20 flights or so over the next few days to really ble close to sure it is the dvd caddy with my hdd drive in it.

If that is it, what in the world could be causing it? When the drive is in ot works great, no errors, I have 150 gigs of stuff moved over to it after formatting, just as fast and smooth as can be, so windows has no complaints about the drive.

It has to be one of about 3 things.

1, not enough power because of having 2 drives.
    2, drive is blocking air somehow, but I dont eve have the face plate on the caddy, so I dont see how it would be blocking any more air than the dvd drive would have blocked.

3. There is some kind of polling or conflict with the hdd drive, maybe because it's not set as the D drive with a virtual drive set as D?

But anyway, for some reason my video card is hanging and windows is giving it 2 seconds to tecover. Sometimes it does say it recovered but will hang again aind finally I get the blue screen or the screen just goes dark. None of this ever happened until the new ssd, moving the hdd to the dvd caddy, and adding an 8gb chip. I think the chip is fine because i removed it and still got the crash. So it has to be the dvd caddy with the hdd dive in it for some reason, heat, power, or conflict.

Hope I can at least get it down to that over the next few days. If i get no crashes with the drive and caddy not installed ill know what main thing is causing it, then I just need to figure out why.

Ill keep you guys updated and let you know tomorrow if there was a crash tonight, ill try to get in 4 flights tonight, that would be 7 all together with no crash, if I make it that far it will be starting to look like it for sure is the dvd caddy with the drive.

Thanks so much guys, you are like a security blanket for me while trying to narrow this down. And also, I did do the nvidia driver option for full, clean install on the driver. Sorry for typos, I hard of seeing and trying to type on this damn phone screen

Jeff

6. Jeffguitar

Reputations:
    What the heck? Just turned off my sub game and decided to bring up windows explorer and see if my power ISO stil was showing 2 drives, THERE ARE NONE. ONLY MY C DRIVE.

Come to think of it, I never did rebbot my computer when I took out the dvd drive and put the hdd caddy in. I never let the computer clear out the dvd drive and then shut down and install my drive caddy, and there were power iso drives there, at least I thought they were pw iso drives, but now with the caddy out and the dvd drive bay empty there are no drives other than the C drive (my ssd).

Hmm, could this have been the problem? When I put the caddy with hdd in it windows made it yhe E drive right off the bat. I assumed this was because power iso had its virtual drive as the D drive. But now I'm wondering if windows thought the dvd drive was still in the computer because I never booted it up after taking the dvd drive out so that windows could clear it.

7. Jeffguitar

Reputations:
    Another update today. The thought that windows hadn't cleared was not the problem. Trying it out I put the caddy back in and went in to disk manager and there it showed the power iso virtual drives. The caddy drive still loaded up as E drive and D was not an option to change it to. I left the drive in to test and got near the end of a long flight in the sim and CRASH. Uhg. I took the caddy and drive out and ran the exact same flight and NO PROBLEM. That's 4 straight flughts with no problem while the caddy drive is not installed. Ill need more flights to pile up with no problems to be absolutely sure but it is looking more and more like the dvd caddy with the hdd drive is somehow causing this.

I suspect it is heat related, somehow the drive is either blocking air movement or drawing too much power and that is causing a heat problem.

I have one of those usb little fan things that stick under the laptop vent on the side and will draw air from inside the laptop. That will be here from Ebay soon and ill try one more time with that active.

Can anyone let me know what I can do to monitor my gpu temps? That would help me know if there is a temp difference with the caddy in and out and also how much difference the little usb fan will make.

Ill keep updating as I learn more.

8. Judicator

Judicator Judged and found wanting.

Reputations:
    HWInfo is an excellent program for monitoring your system in general. As a bonus, it also lets you manually control the fans in an 8740w.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

9. Jeffguitar

Reputations:
    Is the gtx nvidia? Fsx flight sim doesn't do well with amd video cards, so I would have to stick with nvidia for sure. I would love to put a better video card in this thing. That is the main thing crippling my flight sim performance. My upgrade from 8 to 16gb ram made almost no fifference in fsx, but I knew that would be the case cause fsx is using cpu and vid card memory mostly. The new ssd helped loading times greatly, but like the ram, not performance of the flight.

Even going from 1gb vid ram to 2 gb would be a huge upgrade for my flight simming

10. Jeffguitar

Reputations:
    Also, in the mail last night I got my usb fan cooler that goes over the vent and draws hot air out, wow this thing is cool and man does it suck that hot air out. I only paid like 8 dollars for it and soon as I got it hooked up I installed the dvd caddy and drive back in and made 2 flights NO CRASHES. 2 isn't near enough to know for sure but it looks like this is a heat problem with the dvd caddy probably blocking air circulation somehow. It cant be heat from the drive because it doesn't even get warm and is not even accessed during flight sim, no sim files even on it. So it has to be a circulation thing. I will test tonight with at least 2 and maybe 3 flights with the new usb cooler, this cooler is way bigger than I expected. I was shocked at the hot air being drawn out of the laptop. Ill report back after more flights tonight.