*HP EliteBook 8740w Owners Lounge - PART 2*

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by Aikimox, Sep 7, 2010.

?

What is your EliteBook 8740w config (select one from each category)?

1. Non-DreamColor2 screen

94 vote(s)
    34.9%
  2. DreamColor 2 Screen

113 vote(s)
    42.0%
  3. Dual-core Processor

63 vote(s)
    23.4%
  4. Quad-core Processor

137 vote(s)
    50.9%
  5. ATI M7820 Graphics

120 vote(s)
    44.6%
  6. Nvidia FX 2800M

43 vote(s)
    16.0%
  7. Nvidia FX 3800M

47 vote(s)
    17.5%
  8. Nvidia FX 5000M

27 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. Jeffguitar

Jeffguitar Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Now I'm hoping someone can ease my mind about lifting the keyboard up to get to the upper slots if I need to. Do I just pry those clips up till they pop loose after I loosen the screws on the bottom?

2. Jeffguitar

Reputations:
    Also, Im planning on just loading a fresh copy of win 7 on my new SSD drive when it gets here. That way I can still boot in to my old setup from my old drive which will be mounted in the dvd drive bay with the adapter I also ordered.

This way I can take my time loading all my programs back on the new drive while still booting to the old and using my flight sim and recording stuff. My old drive has had so much gunk on it and has been using win 7 for like 3 years, so no way I want to clone all that crap to my new drive, I want my new drive with a fresh win 7 install, but it will literally take me weeks possibly to get all the stuff on the new drive, tons of flight sim scenery files, planes, tons of plugins for my music software, man it is going to be a massive task.

But, here is another worry. I found out that the 8740w only has SATA2, not 3. It also looks like the dvd is SATA 1.5, is this correct? I think my old ide drive will run just as fast over the dvd sata bus, I dont even believe it is 7200 rpm. But im hoping my new Samsung EVO SSD isn't going to be hampered too bad by only having SATA 2. Im sure it will still be much faster than the old ide drive, but has anyone put an SSD in and been dissatisfied with the speed because of SATA 2 bus?

Sorry for posting and rambling so much but I am so excited to finally be upgrading my beloved 8740w and then to also find this forum it is just so much excitement while waiting for all my upgrades to arrive. Thanks for the help so far.

3. Jeffguitar

Reputations:
    Bobmook, I COULD KISS YOU!!. Got my ram, my ssd, and my dvd hard drive caddy. Figured I would pop the ram in first thing, WOOOOO, she booted right up, im loading my flight sim now, works like a charm and I still have a slot left for another 8gb stick which will put me at 24gb.

Not only that, everything else went GREAT as well. Popped the original drive out, installed my 1 tb EVO 860, then installed my original drive (320 gb) in to the new dvd caddy, popped in a bootable usb stick and loaded a fresh copy of win 7 pro on the new SSD. Now I get a boot option to choose which drive I want to boot from. Now I can take my time installing all my recording and flight sim stuff on my new SSD, yet I can boot in to my old drive and use my recording and flightsim there (which im doing right now, lol)

I can just relax and take several weeks if I want to load all my stuff on to the new drive and only when I am fully done I can save any files off the old drive and then format it.

So this all worked perfectly. Thanks for suggesting I try the 8 gig stick. My plane is on the screen now, I'm off to fly then maybe spend an hour on the new install later and load some more programs, what a fun night.

And one more thing. I was worried about the dvd drive bay being slower but it looks like that is also SATA 2 and I see no difference in speed on that dvd connection.

Hope all this helps others in the future.

Thanks again.

4. Jeffguitar

Reputations:
    DAMN, NO!! Blue screen of death, something about an error when trying to continue video driver after pause. Running a windows mem test now, on test 2 of 2, no problems yet.

Wondering if this could be heat related with the ide drive now in the dvd bay? It must have gottem warm im sure while using it for my flight sim, wondering if it is closer to the system board.

I will try switching them and putting the SSD in the dvd drive caddy and try again tomorrow. What a bummer. If it happens with the drive back in the normal place then it's the ram. I guess it would be much easier to take the ram out and try again than it would switching drives around.

Uhg

5. bobmook

bobmook Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    That sounds like a TL DR error which usually, but not always has to do with the video card shifting power states ......only way to nail it down really is do what your doing....shift things around and see what fixes it.....

6. Jeffguitar

Reputations:
    Well, no more problems so far, she is running great. Initially, I wanted a fresh install of windows, but after starting to load stuff back on, especially my tons of flight sim stuff, I just didn't have the stomach for it.

So, I used the super easy Samsung cloning utility and cloned my hdd to my new Samsung 860 EVO 1TB drive. So nice to just be done and back to normal. I have played flightsim several more times and not a single problem.

The ram is working perfectly and it is so nice to have my new, fast operating system drive. I then formatted my hdd and kept it in my dvd caddy and am using it for music samples and multimedia files, darn if it isn't almost full again as it is only 320 gb. Now, soon ill spend 50 bucks and buy another ssd, 500gb this time and put it in the dvd caddy for a bit more space and a much faster drive there too.

Also ill spend another 35 bucks and get another of this exact 8 gig ram chip and put it in the remaining slot for 24gb of ram. I need to do that anyway because I have yet to lift up the keyboard and I want to clean the dust out inside. I bought a couple cans of compressed air. I was reading that I should make sure to hold the fan blades from moving when I use the air as it can mess up the bearings.

So ill do the ram chip and the cleaning in the one time ill open the keyboard up cause that is scary to me.

But anyway, she is working just fine now. Ill report back when im ready to do the scary keyboard lift, clean and the installing of a new chip in my one empty ram slot. I hope everything goes good in that final push.

Maybe later I might get brave enough to upgrade the video from the 1 gig nvidea 2800 to the 2 gig 3800. That would really boost my flightsimming to a new level, but im not sure what all would need to be done. Im terrified of trying stuff that is complicated and involves removing heat sinks, fans, and connectors and such. Im so afraid of messing my main computer up. Im a poor musician and have no money. If I had money and another system as my main unit I could afford to play around with upgrades and not worry that much. But all my interests are bound up with this machine so I hate to take risks with it.

7. 83bj60

83bj60 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Sorry it took so long to answer, but Tapatalk ceased to function on my tablet and I just couldn't be bothered with the aggravation. Presumably they want me to 'upgrade' Tapatalk which means 'upgrading' my android version, which means tons of apps and customizations will be lost and it will render my hardware as slow as molasses. ENOUGH WITH THE UPGRADE TYRANNY, I'M NOT UPGRADING SO STOP FORCING ME TO!

Now that it's out the way... Hopefully I'm not repeating someone else's answer ;)

Cleaning the fan and radiator: you need to take the keyboard out ( very easy, unscrew from the bottom case and gently lift the keyboard from the top and slide it up, taking care not to rip with the pointing stick cable and the keyboard cable) and you need to remove the switch plate which is secured with screws and latches which can break if you're rough (I use an old credit card to persuade it loose but since you're a musician a guitar pick will probably be the best tool for this ;) ) and to clean the fan, you need to remove the heat sink out completely, because the fan is screwed from the bottom, contrarily to the much better design of the 8730w, which is screwed in from the top. So make sure you have some good heat sink compound and thermal foam tape for the video card memory chips if the thermal pads get torn in the process.

But first get the "HP EliteBook 8740w Mobile Workstation Maintenance and Service Guide", HP document number 592668-002, it has plenty of good removal and installation illustrations, if you can't find it and if that's OK with the board I'll upload it here if it's possible, but it should be easy enough to find online.

HTH and welcome to the Eleitebook 8740w club. My main machine is an 8730w, they are sturdy machines and are quite upgradable as you found out, although as far as video card and screens are concerned you've probbaly noticed it's not so easy, but kudos for your successes, I may well follow up with similar upgrades on my second 8740w :)

8. 83bj60

Reputations:
    The 8740w is notoriously undercooled - some users here have eve installed second fans in place of the optical drive IIRC. Get the keyboard an switchplate out, lift the heatsink assembly out and clean the fans and get the dust bunnies out of the radiator!

9. 83bj60

Reputations:
    Exactly. If the fan runs much faster than its rated speed it can ruin its bearings, besides you need to clean the fins, not the motor, so hold onto the blades while blowing and use some isopropyl alcohol to remove the gook off the baldes. And clean that radiator! An old tooth brush and compressed gas or air works great for that.

Just follow the instructions in the manual I'm speaking about and it'll be easy as pie.

Just take your time, don't force anything , thinks twice act once, etc. and BE FIRM BUT GENTLE.

When screwing the heatsink back on, don't squish the screws down as if you were installing concrete screws, do it very, very lightly and one screw, a bit at a time to even out the pressure. Be gentle, make sure there are no cables in the way and and the machine won't suffer. If you're not sure, remove the heat sink again, wipe off the heat sink compound and start over with fresh compound, don't apply too much of the goop, take your time to get a good feel for it.

And remember to be grounded - a grounded wire connected to your wrist works, but you should get a grounding bracelet, they're cheap enough... It's especially important if you're working in a very dry environment on carpets while wearing sneakers, for example, but since we're not in winter the risk is minimal.

10. 83bj60

Reputations:
    I totally get your meaning, I also am financially challenged (I don't consider myself poor, I'm just frugal and I'm lucky enough to have no major debts), but you need to understand that you have nothing to fear but fear itself ;)

Regarding working on the computer, you need to start somewhere and the good news is, these machines are fairly sturdy and quite workable and now very affordable, for just a few 100$ if you're patient enough and scour the online ads for a deal, heck you may find one like me for $50 because it was shutting itself down every 10 minutes due to overheating, a couple of hours of cleaning and testing and it was running perfectly again :)