*HP EliteBook 8740w Owners Lounge - PART 2*

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by Aikimox, Sep 7, 2010.

?

What is your EliteBook 8740w config (select one from each category)?

1. Non-DreamColor2 screen

94 vote(s)
    34.9%
  2. DreamColor 2 Screen

113 vote(s)
    42.0%
  3. Dual-core Processor

63 vote(s)
    23.4%
  4. Quad-core Processor

137 vote(s)
    50.9%
  5. ATI M7820 Graphics

120 vote(s)
    44.6%
  6. Nvidia FX 2800M

43 vote(s)
    16.0%
  7. Nvidia FX 3800M

47 vote(s)
    17.5%
  8. Nvidia FX 5000M

27 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. Sadsheets

Sadsheets Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi everyone, I'm new here! I scored an this Elitebook from a guy for $25, and it needed a lot of help. It was dusty, dirty, had a flickering screen and some other issues, most of which I've alleviated.

It's current specs: i7 740QM, 24GB DDR3 ram (2 8GB, 2 4GB), 4GB DDR5 NVIDIA Quadro k4000m, 1TB Hitachi Travelstar 7200rpm, Just upgraded from Win 7 Ultimate to Win 10 Pro.

I fixed the screen flicker when I replaced the cable and video card, but I'm still having issues with "bleeding" on the screen with certain colors, like light greys and light blues showing red lines and such. The odd thing is if I compress and twist the video cable enough, the red goes away, but there has to be a better way to remedy this. Any ideas or solutions would be greatly appreciated.

2. 83bj60

83bj60 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Congrats, great score! I got my second 8740w because it would shut itself off after 10 minutes and when I took it apart the heatsink was completely smothered in cat hair!

Interesting to know that the k4000m fits...

Well if you get that from the cable and you replaced it what makes you think the replacement is any better than the original one? It could also be a ground issue or a problem with connectors...

Post a picture maybe we''ll be able to tell a bit more about the problem...

3. Sadsheets

Sadsheets Newbie

Reputations:
    It's amazing how little people know about computers, and how you can extend the life of them, if they're properly taken care of.

The k4000m is your basic mxm-b 3.0, but will definitely fit in these beauties, and you don't even have to change the heatsink that it came with! Mine originally came with the FX2800m

Hm, I never thought of that. The flickering definitely ceased, and I still have the original video cable around here somewhere, not sure why twisting and squeezing it would help the grounding issue if that's what it is.

Video Card:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/cPzc7NbfWKqvNozA9

I took off all the paste on the memory chips, since they didn't touch the heat sink, and would do more harm than good. Been a little over 4 months, and no issues or overheating.

Last edited: May 28, 2019
  4. Jeffguitar

Jeffguitar Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello all. Great to find this forum, hope there are plenty of folks still using this laptop.

I am in need of a quick response. After 2 years of using this beast (quad core with Intel 2800 video) I am finally plunging in to upgrading. I just purchased a Samsung EVO 1tb ssd and an 8 gig mem stick as well.

Well, of course, didn't do enough homework and was reading the spec sheet on ram modules and I find out I cannot use my 2 4gb sticks already in this and then pop in my new 8 gb stick to arrive at 16 gb. I ordered yesterday, thank goodness it's the 4th holiday today and the EBay seller didn't ship yet so I emailed and asked them if they had 2 4 gb sticks instead of the 8gb stick. I'm sure I won't hear back till tomorrow. So, a couple questions.

Can someone confirm that I understand this correctly, I cannot put an 8 gb stick in this empty slot that says #3 next to it when I open the bottom up?

I see one stick in the other side, and I assume the other 4gb stick is right below that one under the keyboard? The spec sheet said the only 2 options for 16gb are 2 8 gb stcks, or four 4gb sticks. BUT, it also says at the bottom that these may not be all possible combinations. So just want to confirm that you cannot have an 8gb stick alone in one slot without having another in its partner slot. It would be awesome to find out I can so I could tell the seller to go on and send the 8gb stick out, but im sure my luck would not be that good.

This leads me to question 2.
    The empty slot on the bottom says #3, what number is its partner slot? What number slot is on the bottom next to slot 3?

Last question. I am horrible at this upgrade stuff. I saw on YT a vid of how to take the keyboard off of an older hp, like the 84 model, and the clips on top that you slide down are not the same as on the 8740w. On the vid, his little clips slid downward, he just pushed them down with a flathead SD. There was a space for them to slide down in to. Mine have no space to slide, so do i just pop upward and unclip like that, just put my little flathead under the edge and pry straight upwards until it pops loose?

One good thing about needing to lift the keyboard is that I should be able to blow the dust out of the cpu and gpu areas. I also ordered a couple cans of compressed air, as well as the cheap, no name brand dvd drive caddy to put my old hard drive in, and an exterior usb 3 enclosure too in case I decide to buy another ssd soon.

So, hoping I can get a quick answer on these ram questions so I can figure out if I told the seller to hold up for a good reason. If he doesn't have 2 4gb sticks I hope he'll refund me with no trouble since I contacted him back before he shipped the memory.

Thanks much for any help, very excited to find this forum and thread. Hope I can help others myself in the future. Love my 8740W so far, hope it lasts much, much longer. I use it for tecording (guitar player here as my name implies), and flight simmer. (Microsoft FSX) It stays in one place, always hooked up hdmi to my 47 inch tv.

Thanks.
    Jeff

5. bobmook

bobmook Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I had 4 4gb sticks in mine for 16 gb ram and removed one which I needed for something else. The 8740w has been soldiering on just fine with 3 4 gb sticks and 12 gb of ram .......

6. Jeffguitar

Reputations:
    Wow, interesting, wher was the single 4 gb installed at? I wish I knew for sure if an 8 would work with a 4. Yours still had all 4gb, so at least there was no mismatch, mine would have a 4 and an 8 partnered. Darn, wish I knew for sure, but if I tell the seller to go on and send it, and it doesn't work, Ill then need to just buy another 8 gb stick and I would probably be out the 2 4 that are in it now. I doubt id be able to even sell them on ebay since they are so cheap these days.

Thanks for your quick reply, hope someone else can add more info, you got me part of the way and gave me something to think about.

One good thing about getting the 8 is then the possibility of adding more up to 32 gb of ram, but I hate to just keep investing in it and then because of it's age the mb burns out or something. Im thinking 16 gigs of ram is really all I will need in it before I invest in some newer laptop or desktop in the future. Uhg, wish I knew for sure if anyone has ever had two fours and an eight sticks in successfully.

Thanks much

Jeff

7. Jeffguitar

Reputations:
    Maybe I can. Here is what it says in the specs sheet.
    DDR3 PC3-10600 SDRAM (1333 MHz)*
    Two or four SODIMM slots supporting dual-channel memory
    SODIMM sizes supported: 2048 MB, 4096 MB, and 8192 MB SODIMMs
    NOTE: Four memory slots only on models with quad-core processor.
    Standard Memory 2048 MB (2048 MB x 1)
    4096 MB (4096 MB x 1)
    4096 MB (2048 MB x 2)
    8192 MB (8192 MB x 1)
    8192 MB (4096 MB x 2)
    8192 MB (2048 MB x 4)**
    12288 MB (4096 MB x 2 + 2048 MB x 2)**
    16384 MB (8192 MB x 2)
    16384 MB (4096 MB x 4)**
    32768 MB (8192 MB x 4)**
    Optional Memory Upgrades Support for up to 32768 MB** of memory with the installation of optional DDR3 SDRAM memory kits.
    All memory slots are user-accessible. Please refer to the Hardware and Software Guide for installation
    procedures. Maximized dual-channel performance requires SODIMMs of the same size and speed in
    both memory channels.
    Channel A Channel B
    Up to Slot 1 Slot 2 Slot 3 Slot 4
    2048 MB 2048 MB Empty
    4096 MB 4096 MB Empty
    4096 MB 2048 MB 2048 MB
    8192 MB 8192 MB
    8192 MB 4096 MB 4096 MB
    8192 MB** 2048 MB 2048 MB 2048 MB 2048 MB
    12288 MB** 4096 MB 2048 MB 4096 MB 2048 MB
    16384 MB 8192 MB 8192 MB
    16384 MB** 4096 MB 4096 MB 4096 MB 4096 MB
    32768 MB** 8192 MB 8192 MB 8192 MB 8192 MB
    * With some processors, memory bus runs at a maximum of 1066 MHz.
    ** Requires quad-core processor configuration with four memory slots.
    NOTE: This chart does not represent all possible memory configurations. Due to the non-industry
    standard nature of some third-party memory modules, we strongly recommend using only HP-
    branded memory modules to ensure compatibility. If you mix memory speeds, the system will
    perform at the lower memory speed. Full availability of 4 GB or more of memory requires a Windows
    64-bit operating system or Linux. With Windows 32-bit operating systems, the amount of usable
    memory is dependent upon your configuration, so that above 3 GB all memory may not be available
    due to system resource requirements.
    Memory Upgrades HP 2 GB (DDR3 1333 MHz) SODIMM AT912AA
    HP 4 GB (DDR3 1333 MHz) SODIMM AT913AA

So up top under standard (wonder what they mean by standard, do they mean those combos could be what the laptop came with?) It says one option has 8gb being a single 8gb chip. It says 12 can be two 4gb and two 2gb but it doesnt aay 3 4gb chips like you have going. Uhg, why so complicated? Jeez, I just want to know if I can have to 4gb and add an 8gb. Surely they knew people would wonder about this, then they say these aren't all the combinations? Then what are sll tbe combinations? Hopr I can find out.

8. bobmook

bobmook Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Based on my experience with these machines (I've had a few) I'd be shocked if the 8 and two fours didn't work just fine. I've had one work fine with a 4 and a 2 (6 gb total) and 3 4's and a 2 (14 gb total) .....still you'd be taking a chance ....but my personal opinion is it would work ok .......

9. Jeffguitar

Reputations:
    Thanks for your reply, I guess ill go on and tell the seller to ship it. It may cost me an extra 35 bucks for another 8 gig chip and have to take my 2 4 gb chips out but I guess thats no big deal. Heck, maybe two 8 gig in one slot and two 4 in the other would work and I would have 24 gig total. Ill just tell them to ship it and cross my fingers. Ill try different slots if I have trouble at first. Maybe put the 8gb in channel A alone and move the 2 4gb to channel B, ill try every combination.

Ill report back on what happens for others who might need the info in the future.

Thanks again.

10. Jeffguitar

Reputations:
    Just told them to send the 8 gig as ordered, I don't mind this attempt because it does mean that with 8 gb chips I can go to 32gb total. With all 4 gb I would be stuck at 16 and would have to start over if I wanted more.