*HP EliteBook 8740w Owners Lounge - PART 2*

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by Aikimox, Sep 7, 2010.

?

What is your EliteBook 8740w config (select one from each category)?

1. Non-DreamColor2 screen

94 vote(s)
    34.9%
  2. DreamColor 2 Screen

113 vote(s)
    42.0%
  3. Dual-core Processor

63 vote(s)
    23.4%
  4. Quad-core Processor

137 vote(s)
    50.9%
  5. ATI M7820 Graphics

120 vote(s)
    44.6%
  6. Nvidia FX 2800M

43 vote(s)
    16.0%
  7. Nvidia FX 3800M

47 vote(s)
    17.5%
  8. Nvidia FX 5000M

27 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. Element7th

Element7th Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, if I want to try put 2x8GB on dual core mobo should I upgrade BIOS to F.09 or upgrade to the newest one F.60?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
  2. georgemvg

georgemvg Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello! I own a 8740w and the fx 2800 has gone bad. I bought the same gpu from bay, and both have the same result. The laptop does not boot, not a single thing on the screen. I updated the bios with no result. What am I doing wrong?

3. 83bj60

83bj60 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    My experience with upgrading the BIOS.... DON'T Unless you definitely have a problem that the update addresses, because HP has encrypted its newer BIOSes in such a way that you cannot revert to an earlier version if you don't like it's new 'features' (such as preventing you from using certain 'non authorized' components, which HP is famous for). My 8740w is essentially useless on battery because of a BIOS upgrade (it refuses to boot on aftermarket batteries).

4. 83bj60

Reputations:
    From your testimony it looks like it's the MOBO that went south, not the GPU. What's the likelihood of two identical cards being bad in the same manner? It could well be a blown fuse or MOSFET - not always easy to identify, but blown components can sometimes reveal themselves from the melted plastic when they're covered with plastic like some motherboard sections often are.

5. 83bj60

Reputations:
    If you've gotten good results with Afterburner, do share ;)

I would presume that power consumption could be reduced if there was a way to shut down some of those cuda cores... Judt a hunch, though, I have no idea of the way it operates. Just downloaded it for testing.

6. 83bj60

Reputations:
    Unfortunately no separate utility, must run certain operating systems, etc.

7. 83bj60

Reputations:
    Using cleanup utilities is basically a must for video drivers and antivirus software because they penetrate deep into the machine. That's also why it's recommended to do it in Safe Mode to avoid possibility of leaving stuff around because it's in use in normal mode. But its ALWAYS risky because this type of software insinuates itself deeply into the OS. I had an AWFUL time getting rid of ESET Smart Security and although my computer works well now, it took me a complete weekend to hunt for and remove everything ESET related from my machine. I still occasionally discover problems because of some ESET remnant in software I don't use often.

Once it's cleaned up, using the Device Manager to install the video driver insures you don't get any other crap loaded and it works well for printers - as for myself I did this once for my video driver and it went well.

Bottom line, get all remnants of the previous video driver removed using the cleaning utility first and if it's not enough, hunt for references in the registry, but be sure you have a copy of Hiren's Boot CD to be able to access ALL hives of the registry as these drivers have a reputation of writing stuff in inaccessible parts of the registry that can only be removed using an offline registry editor such as can be done using Hiren's Boot CD. But before that, make a backup of the registry using ERUNT, in case it doesn't end well you'll be able to reload it offline it from Hiren's Boot CD utilities, for example if the computer refuses to start afterwards.

8. georgemvg

georgemvg Newbie

Reputations:
    It boots with its original card. Some artifacts and strange colors, but it boots.

9. MobileArtist

MobileArtist Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I understand from reading earlier posts that the 8740 W with Dreamcolor display and Nvidia 5000M is incompatible with most third party batteries. But is there another high powered GPU that in combination with the Dreamcolor, is more compatible with such batteries?

My second 8740 W is Dreamcolor with an ATI 7820. Can that take third party batteries?

10. MobileArtist

MobileArtist Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    None of the esteemed experts on this forum know the answer to this battery question?