*HP EliteBook 8740w Owners Lounge - PART 2*

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by Aikimox, Sep 7, 2010.

?

What is your EliteBook 8740w config (select one from each category)?

1. Non-DreamColor2 screen

94 vote(s)
    35.1%
  2. DreamColor 2 Screen

112 vote(s)
    41.8%
  3. Dual-core Processor

63 vote(s)
    23.5%
  4. Quad-core Processor

137 vote(s)
    51.1%
  5. ATI M7820 Graphics

120 vote(s)
    44.8%
  6. Nvidia FX 2800M

43 vote(s)
    16.0%
  7. Nvidia FX 3800M

47 vote(s)
    17.5%
  8. Nvidia FX 5000M

27 vote(s)
    10.1%
  1. buttcrackplumber

buttcrackplumber Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have windows 10. Yes the 780m will boot.

2. v8rollal

v8rollal Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello, has anyone managed to operate ati firepro m6100 on hp 8740w? Thank you.

3. triturbo

triturbo Long live 16:10 and MXM-B

Reputations:
    Not aware if anyone tried.

4. buttcrackplumber

buttcrackplumber Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    If I could get the modded driver that would be great.

5. MobileArtist

MobileArtist Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Taking my second 8740W out of mothballs, I needed to do a Windows Update. There were 10 important updates, and seven installed. However, the following did not:

Security update for Microsoft. net framework 3.5.1 for windows 7 and windows server

Security update for windows 7 X64 based system (KB 2912390)

Update for windows 7 X64 based systems (KB2843630)

Any suggestions? By the way, none of the 10 wanted to install until I ran the Windows Update Readiness Tool.

6. MobileArtist

Reputations:
    On one of my 8740Ws there's frequently a sound like a hard drive making noises at startup from the upper right hand corner of the keyboard, but but this machine has an SSD. What could it be?
    My second machine is completely silent.

7. 83bj60

83bj60 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Just wondering if that's not too obvious, but could it be the DVD drive? That's about the right location according to your description ;)

8. MobileArtist

Reputations:
    That was pretty silly of me. Of course you're probably right. My other machine has an SSD and a 1 TB drive, so it wouldn't sound the same.

Is it normal for the DVD drive to announce itself in such a spirited fashion?

9. StuckInÐeNearPast

StuckInÐeNearPast Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello,

I've been an owner of the 8740w for two years now and have checked in on this forum every so often during my ownership (and beforehand during initial research) and I feel it's time for me to post something/get some advice.

Specs:

(As far as I'm aware this is how the machine was originally speced by its previous owner)

Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit
    Intel Core i5-560M
    ATI Firepro M7820
    2x2GB Samsung DDR3 RAM (I checked the motherboard, only two slots)
    320GB 7200rpm WD SATA HDD, currently at 3% fragmented
    DVD/RW Drive
    1680x1050 Display, obviously not Dreamcolour but never having seen one, I can probably manage
    120W PSU
    Original HP Battery with HWinfo showing basically 0% wear
    F.20 BIOS

Note on GFX Card Drivers:

So for laughs I'd thought I would see how the laptop handles emulating the PS3 via RPCS3 knowing that the laptop would meet the minimum system requirements. Except after trying it out it didn't, because the newest drivers off of AMD's website from May 2012 only got me to OpenGL 4.1, and the emulator needed 4.3. Going to HP's website, the latest they supplied were from November 2012, and this brought me up to OpenGL 4.2. A slightly exhaustive search of google later (using .inf files for assistance) led me to Softpedia's database of HP AMD Firepro Mobility drivers and the newest one with official M7820 support (with the M7820 listed in the unmodified .inf files but not necessarily inside the HP 8740w, but what other HP laptop could of had it installed?) was the HP AMD Firepro Mobility 14.3 set from December 2014, which finally got me to OpenGL 4.4 along with the new feature of EDID Emulation/override. The emulator ran better than I expected, but not full speed, but that wasn't the main take away from this story.

GFX Benchmark Issue:

What I actually came here to ask was this, I know that in 3DMark06 this laptop should score around 12,000 3DMarks, however in my last run I got 7986 with a breakdown 3066 SM2.0, 3439 SM3.0 and 2902 CPU. This was with the laptop running off the mains with CCC overrides turned off so I have no idea why the GPU is scoring so low, I also get a 3DMark03 score of 23646 if anyone wants an older baseline. Would the low wattage power supply be an issue? I was thinking it might be because the dual core CPU's only allow for PCI-E 1.1 and not 2.0, but other peoples dual cores bench just fine.

Upgrading:

In light of this, would anyone recommend upgrading the CPU? I'm almost certainly going to get more RAM, although 8GB should do me just fine. Would anyone recommend the i7-920/940XM with some mild ThrottleStop assistance or would the i7-640M as the fastest dual core suffice? I don't do any CAD work, or transcode videos often, and my gaming interests are mostly pre 2010, when games weren't multi threaded too well.

Thank you to all those who read all the way to the end.

TL:DR:

ATI M7820 with newest drivers only scores 2/3 what it should in 3DMark06, any ideas why?

10. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies TG Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Welcome. Here's a few things to try. While running your benchmarks, let HWMonitor: https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html run in the background. Check your CPU/GPU temperatures afterward and make sure they are under control.
    Also get GPU-Z: https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/ and turn on the logging feature. Let that run while 3DMark is in progress. Afterwards check the log and verify the card is hitting its specified core/memory clocks.

With regards to upgrading to a quad-core, I think it was discussed some pages back in this thread that it is possible to install a quad-core CPU in the 8740w dual-core motherboard. You'll probably want to get an upgraded CPU heatsink if possible; the heatsink the 8740w dual-core models were equipped with wasn't as robust.
    That said, I wouldn't recommend upgrading to the quad-core chip in this notebook. The first-generation i7 mobile chips were relatively poor performers. They'll fare better than the dual-core chips in a heavily-threaded scenario, such as rendering/encoding, but won't be as responsive in day-to-day usage as the dual-core chips. The quad-core chips don't have nearly as high of clocks, and most apps depend on burst operations where high clocks are advantageous.

The best upgrade for overall performance that you can do is install an SSD. The 320GB hard drive you have is horribly slow by modern standards. Even a basic Western Digital Green SSD will be light years ahead. The Green drives are good for the money.
    8GB of RAM would also help, but the 8740w is based on almost 10-year old technology at this point, so investing more than some throwaway money isn't sensible.

Charles