*HP EliteBook 8740w Owners Lounge - PART 2*

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by Aikimox, Sep 7, 2010.

?

What is your EliteBook 8740w config (select one from each category)?

1. Non-DreamColor2 screen

94 vote(s)
    35.7%
  2. DreamColor 2 Screen

111 vote(s)
    42.2%
  3. Dual-core Processor

63 vote(s)
    24.0%
  4. Quad-core Processor

136 vote(s)
    51.7%
  5. ATI M7820 Graphics

119 vote(s)
    45.2%
  6. Nvidia FX 2800M

42 vote(s)
    16.0%
  7. Nvidia FX 3800M

47 vote(s)
    17.9%
  8. Nvidia FX 5000M

26 vote(s)
    9.9%
  1. 83bj60

83bj60 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hey I LOVE IT when people make things work against all odds :)

Super glue kind of works with the kind of plastic used, but it's not great, especially with cracked screw posts. I've always said the machine was much overrated when original price is compared to the actual hardware. Thinkpads and especially Macs of that era were sturdier. Thank goodness at least the bottom case is magnesium!

If you ever decide to replace the screen you'll see more of that flimsiness. Had to use double sided tape on the bezel after some of the clips broke off. When my 8730w was new I had to replace the screen under warranty and the service people obviously broke the darn bezel with the Dreamcolor logo and the machine was returned with a generic bezel.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk 2

2. Fungus99

Fungus99 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The material used on the inside the clips are extremely flimsy.
    I ended up breaking most of the clips on the switch plate. The funny thing is i followed all the steps and was being extra careful too. I'm now very hesitant to change the lid cover as the one current on the machine is servererly swapped and dented to the point i wonder how on earth the previous owner managed to get it that way.
    However i only laid $230aud for the whole machine with not too shabby specs dc panel, i7-820qm, 8gb ram, fx3800m, 750gb hdd and blueray drive so I'm not complaining.
    The overall structure of the machine is very good though, no flex with the base or lid.

83bj60 likes this.
  3. Fungus99

Fungus99 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm actually thinking of upgrading to the hp zbook 15 g2. Not considering the g3 or g4 because of poor quality

4. 83bj60

Reputations:
  5. 83bj60

Reputations:
    &^$^##$^browser again swallowed my answer RIGHT AFTER I UPLOADED MY PICTURES... I HATE FORUM POST EDITORS :mad:

I WAS SAYING HOW STURDY THE CASING IS AND I GOT A MACHINE THAT SURVIVED A FALL FROM A MOVING VEHICLE, DENTED CASE AND COVER BUT THE SCREEN SURVIVED AND LIVES ON IN THE MACHINE I AM TYPING THIS ON, EVEN THE MOTHERBOARD WITH ITS RIPPED OUT HARD DRIVE CONNECTOR. SEE PICTURES ABOVE SHOWING THE RIPPED OUT CONNECTOR AND HOW I REPAIRED IT.

And NO, I'm NOT sorry for using all caps - it needed to be said this way. Browsers are the worst software ever written, especially their editors, and I should have known better: NEVER EVER EDIT A POST IN THE BROWSER, they fail ALL THE TIME, whereas Notepad never does.

triturbo likes this.
  6. Damin

Damin Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

I got this all working a say or 2 ago just in Windows device manager it calls my GTX780M a GT740M iirc .

Can someone tell me where can I change the driver modification to call it the correct name ?

Regards
    Damin

7. MobileArtist

MobileArtist Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If I want to use an external BluRay drive with my 8740W , is there a better option than USB?

8. Judicator

Judicator Judged and found wanting.

Reputations:
    Not really. I mean, you could replace the optical drive bay with a BluRay one, but a USB one would work just fine.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

9. MobileArtist

MobileArtist Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    After a Windows Update an old problem reappeared,,,shut down doesn't shut down but restarts. I found the solution once, but mislaid the document. It has nothing to do with power options, but might involve a Bios adjustment. I'm on Windows 10.

10. Judicator

Judicator Judged and found wanting.

Reputations: