*HP EliteBook 8740w Owners Lounge - PART 2*

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by Aikimox, Sep 7, 2010.

?

What is your EliteBook 8740w config (select one from each category)?

1. Non-DreamColor2 screen

94 vote(s)
    35.7%
  2. DreamColor 2 Screen

111 vote(s)
    42.2%
  3. Dual-core Processor

63 vote(s)
    24.0%
  4. Quad-core Processor

136 vote(s)
    51.7%
  5. ATI M7820 Graphics

119 vote(s)
    45.2%
  6. Nvidia FX 2800M

42 vote(s)
    16.0%
  7. Nvidia FX 3800M

47 vote(s)
    17.9%
  8. Nvidia FX 5000M

26 vote(s)
    9.9%
  1. Fungus99

Fungus99 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    strange. I just double check and do not see any green or magenta glow when viewing off-axis on my 8740w.

2. triturbo

triturbo Long live 16:10 and MXM-B

Reputations:
    On white background, viewing straight ahead, there could be slight tinge on the bottom left and right sides. There were revisions that people claimed to be tinge free (after returning the "faulty one"), so you might be among the lucky ones. Mine has this slight tinge.

3. Fungus99

Fungus99 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Oh if I'm viewing straight on with the background entirely white on full brightness, there a very faint green tinge on the right corner and even fainter red on the left but it's basically unnoticeable to the point where it won't even show up on camera.
    However, the 8560w dc was very noticeable and that's the reason I ended up selling it.

I'm curious as to how the new zbook g5 15/17" with 10bit dream colour display compare, not the resolution obviously but the colour gamut, accuracy and viewing angle.
    The impossibly wide viewing angle on my 8740w dc panel still amazes me till this day.

I was going to upgrade the GPU but since I do a lot of computer rendering which relies solely on the CPU, I decided I'm be better of getting the new coffee lake 6 core CPU with a high fps display for gaming and rendering and do cad work on this machine since the fx3800m is still quite capable. It actually slightly outperforms the slightly newer Quadro 5000m.

http://www.game-debate.com/gpu/index.php?gid=585&gid2=407&compare=quadro-5000m-vs-quadro-fx-3800m

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
  4. triturbo

Reputations:
    That's the one - problem for some, none for others.

The ones in G3/G4 were 8bit BG-r LED (blue and green LED with red phosphor coating) or similar and people say that they were in the neighborhood with the advantage of truer color (because of the red bias of DCs of old). It still isn't a true 10bit panel, but I guess we are finally getting a decent successor. After all it got me considering a new laptop after the obscene amount of money I've thrown in my current one, so this must be something :D

I doubt that they'll have A-TW polirizer, so 8740w might remain the King in this regard.

5. 83bj60

83bj60 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Any tips on correcting this? I'd love nothing more than to put this laptop to good use instead of keeping it as a museum piece of sorts, but I just can't stand that magenta cast, and there is no white balance option in that version of the portait displays utility that works so great on the 8730w.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk 2

6. triturbo

Reputations:
    Modding the firmware. I stumbled upon a thread recently, about 16:9 DCs, that was discussing just that. Someone had a "proper" firmware. Why in quotes? Well it was Google translate form Chinese, but as far as I can tell it's because if you use HP's DCCS (DreamColor Calibration Solution) it would tune it to the magenta cast we all know. So I don't know which one should be called proper - the one that the eyes say, or the one HP says :) Anyway, so this guy has had a display swap or something like that and had proper colors and said just that - calibration with DCCS overwrote the "proper" firmware (which is a desired feature that only it can do, but obviously not right for our displays), so he had to flash back. It would be nice to get a hold of both copies and compare what is changed and try to apply it to ours.

Other than that I was thinking about using 8730w's DC, but 8740w's connector is 6bit LVDS (not counting the DisplayPort part), where the 8730w's is 8bit understandably. So that's a big NO. Well at least for semi-straight swap (only rewiring the connector). If you fancy some soldering you might add the missing 4 wires :D

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
    83bj60 likes this.
  7. 83bj60

Reputations:
    Great! So where's the link and how do I flash? I know the screen is somehow written to because when I changed the color balance on the 8730w and unistalled the HP portait displays utility, the correct white balance setting remained... But unfortunately this utility doesn't work with the DC2.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk 2

8. triturbo

Reputations:
    Not really straight forward, I think it requires a programmer. Here's the topic.

9. 83bj60

Reputations:
    Thanks for the link! I wish someone here could read Chinese to get a better translation because Google Translate isn't that great ;)

IIUC, the poster got three 8760ws and is basically working on the middle one. the left appears to have the standard screen, and the right one, a 'good' DC screen without the magenta issue. The middle one is certainly very magenta to me and looks surprisingly like mine.

I can see he removed the chip that controls color, but he never shows the hardware he uses to write to it. He also said something to the effect that he copied the info from the 'good' DC chip and wrote it to the 'bad' one. If I understood the translation correctly! But he doesn't say how he did it, I have no idea what is meant by "brushing the ROM"... Resolder? Rewriting a ROM chip with some programmer? or replacing the chip itself? Hmmm...

At this point I'd be more inclined to open up the screen and look at the backlight LEDs to try to reduce the red and blue intensity directly or increase the green a bit. I mean, intensity depends on voltage and frequency, surely changing an SMD in the LED drive circuit for a given color should change the white balance directly.

10. triturbo

Reputations:
    @RMSMajestic can you help?

Yes. This is also how he got a copy of the "good" one. You need to desolder the chip put it into a programmer, do what you're going to and solder it back.

83bj60 likes this.