*HP EliteBook 8740w Owners Lounge - PART 2*

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by Aikimox, Sep 7, 2010.

?

What is your EliteBook 8740w config (select one from each category)?

1. Non-DreamColor2 screen

94 vote(s)
    35.3%
  2. DreamColor 2 Screen

111 vote(s)
    41.7%
  3. Dual-core Processor

63 vote(s)
    23.7%
  4. Quad-core Processor

137 vote(s)
    51.5%
  5. ATI M7820 Graphics

119 vote(s)
    44.7%
  6. Nvidia FX 2800M

43 vote(s)
    16.2%
  7. Nvidia FX 3800M

47 vote(s)
    17.7%
  8. Nvidia FX 5000M

27 vote(s)
    10.2%
  1. bassman5066

bassman5066 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    And I thought I was a little crazy for running hardware this old for everyday use... I'm impressed but also baffled that you need to run legacy software that old natively. In most cases I feel like a VM would suffice to cover all the needs of your legacy software. To each his own I suppose...

Interesting to see how everyone uses these computers differently. Mine is a gaming powerhouse and VM host that runs Win10 Pro as a host OS and can run anything from Windows 98 to OSX to Kali Linux at the click of a button, and with the i7 and 28 GB of RAM I have plenty of system overhead I could run a few VMs at once if I needed to.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

83bj60, Apollo13 and triturbo like this.
  2. Apollo13

Apollo13 100% 16:10 Screens

Reputations:
    To be honest I could run Windows 7 or 8.1 on it... I do develop software that runs on XP, so having a native system is nice for testing, but my Dell also suffices for that. I bought it used with Windows 7, but what the seller didn't note is that it was Enterprise, so it expired after six months off its old intranet. I then ran the 8.0 trial for 3 months (while running the 8.1 trial on my desktop, which at the time had XP x64 as its main OS). It probably would have made the most sense to upgrade both at that time, but as it was I kept the desktop on XP x64 for another year (before going to 8.1), and had a spare XP 32-bit license that I used for the HP. At the time I didn't have a need to run any software that didn't support XP, and it saved a couple hundred bucks. In retrospect, upgrading both then would have made sense.

The legacy software I'm not ready to abandon yet are games that don't support KB 3086255. But that only precludes upgrading to Win10, not 7 or 8.1, and again, my Dell can cover compatibility needs.

Thus it might still make sense to upgrade, but I rarely use the 8740w now, particularly as I haven't been LAN gaming for quite awhile. Most of the time it's doing medical and scientific work for the World Community Grid; every so often I'll grab it instead of the Dell to visit a few websites. But it certainly isn't my everyday machine. The desktop I use every day; my Dell a few times a week. Other than donating CPU time to science, the HP is more like once or twice a month.

How'd you wind up with 28 GB? Upgraded 3 DIMMs, had an original 4 GB, and didn't really need the nice round 32 GB?

83bj60 likes this.
  3. MobileArtist

MobileArtist Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    My 8740W (DC2, 740QM, K5000) refuses to shut down. It restarts instead, so I put it in sleep mode. I read that this is a known issue, but never found the solution. And of course I looked over all the power options.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

4. triturbo

triturbo Long live 16:10 and MXM-B

Reputations:
    Congrats on the upgrade! Fresh Windows installed?

5. MobileArtist

Reputations:
    Am I truly the only person on this thread who has encountered this constant restart (vs shutdown) issue?

6. Judicator

Judicator Judged and found wanting.

Reputations:
    Possibly? My first suspicion is that it might actually be a windows update issue or something similar, that when you try to shut it down it restarts because it's trying to run some script or update. Which OS version are you running?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

7. MobileArtist

Reputations:
    A response! I was beginning to feel that I was in a post-apocalyptic movie, but finally a crackly response from the South polar station.

I'm running Windows 10, and have O & O Shutup10, running all recommended settings to shut down telemetry. Recommended settings don't block Windows updates.

8. MobileArtist

Reputations:
    Sorry. I had GPU model numbers leaping around in my head like dancing leprechauns, and one of them just jumped out. I still have the 5000M, which I have lovingly named the Inferno.

triturbo likes this.
  9. bassman5066

bassman5066 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just to make sure you should boot to a live Linux disk and try rebooting from that to rule out Windows issues

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

10. Judicator

Judicator Judged and found wanting.

Reputations:
    triturbo likes this.