*HP EliteBook 8740w Owners Lounge - PART 2*

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by Aikimox, Sep 7, 2010.

?

What is your EliteBook 8740w config (select one from each category)?

1. Non-DreamColor 2 screen

96 vote(s)
    35.0%
  2. DreamColor 2 Screen

114 vote(s)
    41.6%
  3. Dual-core Processor

64 vote(s)
    23.4%
  4. Quad-core Processor

138 vote(s)
    50.4%
  5. ATI M7820 Graphics

123 vote(s)
    44.9%
  6. Nvidia FX 2800M

43 vote(s)
    15.7%
  7. Nvidia FX 3800M

47 vote(s)
    17.2%
  8. Nvidia FX 5000M

27 vote(s)
    9.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. 83bj60

83bj60 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hey Triturbo, does this version allow you to set the RBG white balance WITHOUT the Dreamcolor Calibration Solution or is the option greyed out as on the previous version?

2. 83bj60

Reputations:
    Unfortunately I haven't been able to find a replacement battery that works with my DC2 8740w - I get the dreaded "install a newer version of the main battery pack" every single time and cannot start the machine with any battery installed (standard or extended) and must start using the power supply and only then plug the batteryn in. HP has really disappointed me with this model and its deliberate planned obsolescence disallowing you to revert to earlier BIOS versions. It's the main reason I keep to my 8730w for most of my computing. Better keyboard, DC1 that can be set to perfect white, no problems. I did wear out one that I had to replace many parts on it but am still running the same hard drive and OS as when I got it 9 years ago. My 8740w in comparison it mostly a display piece ;-)

The only thing that has stopped me from solving the battery pack issue besides the BIOS that is impossible to downgrade is the lack of a spot welder. There just isn't enough space in the battery case to solder batteries together the old fashioned way (solder would add too much thickness)

That rubber covering is extremely cheap and thin - it's just a thin layer affixed to a plastic base, not even glued on. I've removed it on my 8740ws. If I new of a method to make a new rubbery surface I'd be the first to tell you here, but it's an industrial process that's way beyond what someone can do at home. The problem is material type (most likely silicone) and adhesion to the ABS plastic key skeleton (silicone has very little adhesion to anything)

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  3. 83bj60

Reputations:
    Just a quick question since you were able to install the HP Mobile Display Assistant - Can you tell us if this version of the software allows you to set the individual RGB LED white balance components x and y like it is possible with the version of the software used for the older DC equipped 8730w?

Or are these options greyed out unless you install the HP Dreamcolor Calibration Solution like with previous versions?

4. 83bj60

Reputations:
    Sorry if the forum editor doesn't allow nested quoting, but have you been able to START your DC2 8740w with Quadro 5000M using a GENERIC battery? I sure haven't and I've tried many types and generations!

5. 83bj60

Reputations:
    Yes! But I'm not sure you will like it! I have them on both my 8740ws and HATE this flimsy keyboard. I sure hope the non backlit version is tight and crisp as the one on the 8730w... Try it and see if you like it ;)

6. Fungus99

Fungus99 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Since the first day, I've always noticed when putting it to sleep or right after shutting down, there's a loud thump sound. Originally i thought it was the harddrive but today after swapping with a ssd, it still this same.
    So is this normal?

7. Judicator

Judicator Judged and found wanting.

Reputations:
    Mine doesn't do that when shutting down normally (I almost never put it to sleep), but I have noticed that when it does an unexpected shutdown, there's occasionally a "whump" from the speakers as they suddenly lose power.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

8. Fungus99

Reputations:
    yep the whump sound from the speakers but for me happens right after sleep or shut down. I guess that is normal

9. Fungus99

Reputations:
    I'm having unexpected shutdowns during this week. Happens nearly once every day.
    Takes a while before I can start the laptop up again and even so once login in the fan speed goes up.

Are there any good software dynamics tool I can run to check for any hardware issue.
    I'm guessing it might be one of the memory modules.

I've just installed and run "whocrashed" but doesn't report any issues to be found.

I bought this computer used because of my tight budget and now have 2nd thoughts. If I have to spend more money to replace faulty components, I might as well by a new laptop to start with to save time and money.

CPU temperatures also run a but high averaging 65-75 degrees on idle but I doubt this is the culprit since I have other laptops at home that run 90 plus and never shut down.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  10. Judicator

Judicator Judged and found wanting.

Reputations:
    With your CPU idling high and fan reving up, my guess would be an overheating PCU. Try installing HWMonitor and watch the PCU temperatures.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk