*HP EliteBook 8740w Owners Lounge - PART 2*

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by Aikimox, Sep 7, 2010.

?

What is your EliteBook 8740w config (select one from each category)?

1. Non-DreamColor 2 screen

96 vote(s)
    35.0%
  2. DreamColor 2 Screen

114 vote(s)
    41.6%
  3. Dual-core Processor

64 vote(s)
    23.4%
  4. Quad-core Processor

138 vote(s)
    50.4%
  5. ATI M7820 Graphics

123 vote(s)
    44.9%
  6. Nvidia FX 2800M

43 vote(s)
    15.7%
  7. Nvidia FX 3800M

47 vote(s)
    17.2%
  8. Nvidia FX 5000M

27 vote(s)
    9.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Apollo13

Apollo13 100% 16:10 Screens

Reputations:
    Very interesting posts on the DC2, 83bj60, and nice comparison screenshots. Even in the screenshots you can see the differences well. I'd like to see them side-by-side in real life someday, though I was deterred from the DC2 by its price (as well as rarity).

I haven't been using my 8740w much lately; in part because I've found my older laptop to be more ergonomically friendly, but also because the battery life took a turn for the worse in late 2016. I recall something about a battery whitelist, yet I also see inexpensive replacement batteries available. Haven't bought one yet, due to the whitelist concern and having batteries for my Dell, but wouldn't mind getting a halfway decent battery life again. Any recommendations on which one to buy, or does it really matter more than buying an eBay battery for any old laptop?

Also does anyone have any cleaning recommendations for the rubbery buttons below the touchpad? I'd read that they were likely to degrade over time before I bought it (it came with a replacement touchpad, so it was essentially new), and sure enough it doesn't look as nice today as it did three years ago. Nothing terrible, but despite the nice feel of the rubberized texture, it's not as durable aesthetically as the plastic buttons on my Dell's touchpad.

2. Fungus99

Fungus99 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Having both currently the 8560 and 8740w with dc2 display, the extra screen space of the 16:10 17" display really makes a world of difference.

3. Fungus99

Reputations:
    Did the 8740w ever have a backlight keyboard and ssd storage option from the factory?

4. triturbo

triturbo Long live 16:10 and MXM-B

Reputations:
    Yes, it might require some grinding though, not very certain. As far as I know all Quadros work, no issues. Pascal is unknown, no one has tested it so far.

Yes.

Pretty much, but if you manage to find genuine HP battery, better get one of them.

Removement is one way to deal with them :) It's ugly and not as nice to the touch, but way better once the rubber gets all over the place.

5. Fungus99

Reputations:
    Mine doesn't have the backlight keyboard so is it possible to swap it out with one that does?

6. Judicator

Judicator Judged and found wanting.

Reputations:
    Yes, if you can find one. The US keyboards have been getting kind of rare recently.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

7. Fungus99

Reputations:
    I'd like to replace the metal lid housing which is full of dents however because mine has the dc display I'm not sure if it'll be slightly thicker than the standard variant.
    Can anyone confirm if this is true?

8. triturbo

triturbo Long live 16:10 and MXM-B

Reputations:
    It's the same, but the DC assemblies have indentation where the ColorBoard sits. Either you can use Dremel or similar to make this indentation, or search for DC assembly.

9. Apollo13

Apollo13 100% 16:10 Screens

Reputations:
    Cool, I'll probably pick up a spare then. Last time I used the battery on the 8740w in a realistic load it was down to about an hour, and that's about a year ago, so it's time (my two Inspiron batteries are about 2 hours each, so that's a big difference in practicality if I want to use it on the road).

I probably will have to do that with the touchpad eventually. I'm not too surprised; I once had a rubberized mouse wheel completely disintegrate on me over the course of a few months, which also made a big mess.

I'm glad to see you are still a 16:10 holdout as well. Still hoping that may it will come back, or the 15:10 of the Surface Book might catch on.

triturbo and 83bj60 like this.
  10. 83bj60

83bj60 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    In case no one answered... Your version of Windows is most likely to blame. That software is EXTREMELY POORLY written as it depends on the Internet Explorer engine to run. I don't read chines but this complaint about Internet Explorer 6 is most likely due to the fact HP software engineers (or their subcontractor Portrait Displays) were extremely lazy writing this software, which is a klutz at best considering it is supposed to write to the hardware directly and should be written in a much lower level language such as C.

Try installing it and doing your adjustments from Windows Vista or Windows 7, around which this laptop was designed and hope they are retained when you reload Windows 10. I can tell you this Mobile Display Assistant has been THE thorn which has stopped me from using this laptop more often, the fact I have not been able to get the screen white balance right using the RGB led adjustments like is possible on the version that works on the 8730w.

Nevertheless you should be able at least to select the color space, whish is already a big deal. After that you could use a gamma ramp such as Calibrilla or Powerstrip (the nVidia control panel also offers some degree of control) to get them closer to what you want or, if you are fortunate enough to be able to get your hands on the proper version of the HP Dreamcolor Calibration Solution (a hardware AND software package - one doesn't work without the other and it is EXTREMELY rare), you should be able to set the RGB backlight white balance to perfection to require the least amount of gamma ramp tweaking (which is basically a filter solution that will reduce the final range of colors).