*HP EliteBook 8740w Owners Lounge - PART 2*

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by Aikimox, Sep 7, 2010.

?

What is your EliteBook 8740w config (select one from each category)?

1. Non-DreamColor2 screen

94 vote(s)
    35.7%
  2. DreamColor 2 Screen

111 vote(s)
    42.2%
  3. Dual-core Processor

63 vote(s)
    24.0%
  4. Quad-core Processor

136 vote(s)
    51.7%
  5. ATI M7820 Graphics

119 vote(s)
    45.2%
  6. Nvidia FX 2800M

42 vote(s)
    16.0%
  7. Nvidia FX 3800M

47 vote(s)
    17.9%
  8. Nvidia FX 5000M

26 vote(s)
    9.9%
  1. HiddenUser

HiddenUser Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Is there any help to use that tool? I don't want to get my white balance ruined. Could you help when you have your screen calibrated?

Thanks a lot in advance :)

2. 83bj60

83bj60 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You have to check the website, I used Google translate, if you need help I can give you a hand, no problem, I'll post something up in a few days when I come back home, I'm out of town on an assignment until next Monday.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk 2

HiddenUser likes this.
  3. 83bj60

Reputations:
    It's been busy for me lately but I have some time this weekend doing some work with the 8740w so if you need help with Calibrilla don't be shy!

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk 2

4. EternalTireKicker

EternalTireKicker Newbie

Reputations:
    Recently I have noticed an annoying phenomenon on my 8740W: Once in a while everything appears laggy, as if the whole OS and all the programs are running at 15-20 FPS. During this time games and other programs report a full 60 FPS as if nothing was wrong, yet nothing looks nearly as smooth as 60 FPS should. These lag spikes come and go at complete random, lasting anywhere from 30 seconds to upwards of 10 minutes. It's not correlated to any one program running, nor is it correlated to high CPU or RAM usage. What could be causing it?

5. 83bj60

Reputations:
    Overheating? Low power output from your power supply?

6. EternalTireKicker

EternalTireKicker Newbie

Reputations:
    It can occur at any temperature, though due to the programs I have running the GPU temperature rarely goes below 50C, and the CPU stays around 55-65C.

I wouldn't think so. Even when I switched from the standard 120W power supply to the monstrous 230W unit it still persists.

Upon further investigation I believe it's a network related issue. LatencyMon shows the highest DPC latency from NDIS.SYS, and it seems to occur most often when a web browser is open. I've tried various network driver versions and the problem persists. Would a new wireless card help? I can't exactly disable the wireless card because I don't have access to ethernet most of the time.

7. KAWALKOWSKI

KAWALKOWSKI Newbie

Reputations:
    hi
    Do I need to do anything special to get monitor to show output from K3100m ? Tried it twice and got no output on external or LCD but works fine with fx 2800.
    Non DC screen I7 820m . 8 GB RAM . Vbios 80.04.c4.00.04. latest HP bios.

8. Looker1122

Looker1122 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi,

from 2 days my 8740w suddenly behaves very strange:
    during POST, even before BIOS password, after few seconds fan rev-up to ~70% speed and stay on this loud speed constantly even when Windows is loaded and in idle.

What I have tried so far:
    - disconnected all HDDs to eliminate rootkit or something loaded from HDDs - fan behaves the same
    - run on battery only, AC+batt, and AC 240 W only to eliminate power problems - fan behaves the same
    - checked fan RPM controling with HWInfo - fan's speed can be changed manually to lower or higher (100% max) speeds; but after setting Auto it spin-up back to ~70% speed
    - i ran intensive CPU benchmarking - fan should rev-up to max, but stay on ~70% regardless of maximal CPU load
    - airflows are clean
    - process explorer in Windows didn't show any CPU load (~2-4%)
    - HWInfo show CPU cores average frequency on its lowest
    - GPU-Z didn't show any GPU load (lowest frequencies for core and memory)

Any clues what is going on?
    How fix this?

EDIT: Solved!
    Simultaneously, few weeks ago I have started to have an another problem that after standby or shutting down laptop battery's LED blinks rapidly orange/amber for 5-20 seconds before laptop completely shuts off. Even when turned off from BIOS or POST screen.

SOLUTION:
    I have found this thread describing battery LED blinking after shutdown problem.
    The solution is to remove CMOS RTC battery for few minutes.

This solved both problems: fan rev-up with high constant speed and blinking battery LED after shutdown.

Good luck! :)

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    83bj60 likes this.
  9. materijalmen

materijalmen Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello guys!
    Im new here, but feel so lucky that I found this thread! I am planning to buy a laptop, and as this is the one I like the most, I want to ask a few questions. As there are hundred of different versions, with different cpu-gpu combo, I want to ask You which one, or better said, which chipset to buy if I am planning further upgrade?
    So, for example, I will buy one with an i5 cpu and a k1000m gpu+4 gb ddr3...but later I am planning to upgrde this with a core i7, 16gb ram and for example quadro k3000m, or some firepro card. Also, additional cooling installation/hardwre modification is in my calculation as I like doing this.
    Thanks a lot guys, waiting for Your asnwers!

10. Fungus99

Fungus99 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have the dreamcolor display and can't instlal the hp mobile display software in admin on the hp website (won't even allow me to install when not in admin)
    Couldn't use snipper tool to take screen shots coz it wouldn't show up as installed.
    I also get a error message in chinese.
    If anyone knows where to downlaod another version from some other place please let me know.

Attached Files: