*HP EliteBook 8740w Owners Lounge - PART 2*

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by Aikimox, Sep 7, 2010.

?

What is your EliteBook 8740w config (select one from each category)?

1. Non-DreamColor2 screen

95 vote(s)
    34.8%
  2. DreamColor 2 Screen

114 vote(s)
    41.8%
  3. Dual-core Processor

63 vote(s)
    23.1%
  4. Quad-core Processor

137 vote(s)
    50.2%
  5. ATI M7820 Graphics

122 vote(s)
    44.7%
  6. Nvidia FX 2800M

43 vote(s)
    15.8%
  7. Nvidia FX 3800M

47 vote(s)
    17.2%
  8. Nvidia FX 5000M

27 vote(s)
    9.9%
  1. 83bj60

83bj60 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    believe me, you're better off removing the rubber altogether until you find replacements. The rubber is actually silicone and is very hard to stick. I removed the keys, sanded them smooth and reinstalled them and it worked just fine.

2. 83bj60

Reputations:
    I've got a question for anyone that may still frequent this old thread - has anyone experienced sudden shutdowns after say 15-20 minutes? I am purchasing an 8740w with a shutdown issue for a pittance, hoping it may simply be a clogged fan issue, but I've also experienced a burnt power MOSFET on my 8730w motherboard and hope it isn't that (much harder to repair) so I was wondering if any of you guys ever had an issue like that with this laptop, if you could comment it would be very much appreciated.

3. HiddenUser

HiddenUser Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hello all,

I still have my old 8740w working with BIOS F.0B. Do you recommend to update? My configuration is in my signature.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: I've realized that last version is F.60A. Does this version allow to disable 2 CPU cores in order to generate less heat?

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
  4. 83bj60

Reputations:
    Any BIOS beyond F.0B cannot be rolled back, so be very careful what you wish for... I've jumped the gun and purchased that flaky 8740w as soon as I learned it was still running F.0B, it was worth the expense just for that in my opinion.

If I can fix the overheating, I'll simply use that motherboard for my 5000M powered machine that wont boot with battery plugged in because of that dreaded "install a newer version of the battery" error, er, I mean, 'feature' (believe me, I've tried many batteries, all to no avail).

In other words, NO, I DON'T recommend updating, but that's just my experience.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk 2

5. HiddenUser

Reputations:
    Thanks for your fast reply. But I'm not interested in rolling back to a previous version if F.60A works fine. Anyone can tell me something about this version?

And a last question. I'm still using Windows 7 Pro 64 (stock OS). Can I upgrade to Windows 10 using stock HP drivers and tools? Would I have any issue?

Thanks again.

6. 83bj60

Reputations:
    Good question - one if my 8730ws was running W10 without a cinch and quite smoothly from my experience so if that's any indication for the more recent 8740w, I don't think you'll have any issues either.

Fact is, there aren't many people still using this 'antique', from I've been noticing. Just be patient, I'm sure Triturbo, who's apparently the resident expert, will show up with some more valuable input than I.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk 2

7. HiddenUser

Reputations:
    I think it's unique because of its 16:10 Dreamcolor 2 screen (the last one, newer screens are 16:9 and new ZBooks not even have a DC screen... or am I wrong?). However it's not perfect, I have the infamous green and pink bands even with calibration using Mobile Display Assistant, but HP told me this is 'normal'... a 800€ screen with green and pink bands... what the hell!
    Thanks for your input indeed :)

8. 83bj60

Reputations:
    I feel your pain! I can't get help noticing it every time I'm looking at a white background. The woes of having perfect color discrimination!!!

Then again, my eyes hurt if I have to work on a white background for any length of time, so I usually work with white or light gray characters on black and it doesn't bother me then.
    As soon as I get my hands on the spare 8740w in the next few weeks, I'll be able to compare as this one comes with the white LED backlit screen.

HiddenUser likes this.
  9. HiddenUser

Reputations:
    I remember perfectly this issue is only present in DC2 screen, so no, you won't have any issues with light backgrounds. But in turn you don't get IPS, wide viewing angle, 1 billion colours (to be exact, 2^30 = [ 2^10 for Red ] * [ 2^10 for Green ] * [ 2^10 for Blue ] )...

10. 83bj60

Reputations:
    Hahaha, true enough, but you have to have applications that can actually benefit from this ;) But indeed, the most interesting thing is the IPS technology with its wider viewing angle and greater image contrast, which really shines under bright lighting :D

In any case, LED backlighting being already a step ahead from the old CCFL technology used in the 8730w, I expect the picture quality to be quite acceptable. I certainly won't complain considering I got it for CAD50, even if it means replacing a couple of MOSFETs on the motherboard ;)

Anyway I should stop talking about it, don't want to jinx it; my friend hasn't picked it up for me yet and although the seller pulled it out the kijiji ads, you never know! Sooo, knock on wood!!!