*HP EliteBook 8740w Owners Lounge - PART 2*

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by Aikimox, Sep 7, 2010.

?

What is your EliteBook 8740w config (select one from each category)?

1. Non-DreamColor 2 screen

96 vote(s)
    35.0%
  2. DreamColor 2 Screen

114 vote(s)
    41.6%
  3. Dual-core Processor

64 vote(s)
    23.4%
  4. Quad-core Processor

138 vote(s)
    50.4%
  5. ATI M7820 Graphics

123 vote(s)
    44.9%
  6. Nvidia FX 2800M

43 vote(s)
    15.7%
  7. Nvidia FX 3800M

47 vote(s)
    17.2%
  8. Nvidia FX 5000M

27 vote(s)
    9.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. espektro

espektro Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I got a M3000M at a very low price but sadly the computer didnt boot up. Im afraid that the card is damage (and that expain the low price).

2. Looker1122

Looker1122 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have set "Defer feature update" (delayed updates) in Win 10 Anniversary Update version 1607 on my 8740w, so I receive Creators Update 1703 only few days ago.

And after this it is some kind of disaster.

My main problems are:
    - laptop freezes on almost every wake-up from sleep - there is need to hold power button to turn it off;
    - WiFi disconnect massively and connection freezes and drops often
    - there is lag (1-2 secs) on almost every click in Photoshop (switching tools, first stroke, transform, etc.) - there is no solution on Adobe forums for this.
    - I have a feeling overall slow down.

To name only few.

So I want to ask you: anyone have similar issues with Creators Update on 8740w?
    There is solution for this or best solution is to revert old version?

(BTW all drivers updated)

3. espektro

espektro Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Im running that version without problems. Do you have your video card OC? I used to have my k4100m OC and it causes freezes like you said so I flashed back a stock vbios and im overcloking it manually with a program instead of vbios.

4. Looker1122

Looker1122 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yes, I have OC vBIOS.
    But on earlier Anniversary version it works without problems like this.
    But I will try before restoring old version.

5. rahasyavadi

rahasyavadi Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I would like to find a glue effective for reattaching the rubbery covers to the touchpad buttons.

Does anyone here know of one that definitely works?

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
  6. 83bj60

83bj60 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    believe me, you're better off removing the rubber altogether until you find replacements. The rubber is actually silicone and is very hard to stick. I removed the keys, sanded them smooth and reinstalled them and it worked just fine.

7. 83bj60

Reputations:
    I've got a question for anyone that may still frequent this old thread - has anyone experienced sudden shutdowns after say 15-20 minutes? I am purchasing an 8740w with a shutdown issue for a pittance, hoping it may simply be a clogged fan issue, but I've also experienced a burnt power MOSFET on my 8730w motherboard and hope it isn't that (much harder to repair) so I was wondering if any of you guys ever had an issue like that with this laptop, if you could comment it would be very much appreciated.

8. HiddenUser

HiddenUser Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hello all,

I still have my old 8740w working with BIOS F.0B. Do you recommend to update? My configuration is in my signature.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: I've realized that last version is F.60A. Does this version allow to disable 2 CPU cores in order to generate less heat?

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
  9. 83bj60

Reputations:
    Any BIOS beyond F.0B cannot be rolled back, so be very careful what you wish for... I've jumped the gun and purchased that flaky 8740w as soon as I learned it was still running F.0B, it was worth the expense just for that in my opinion.

If I can fix the overheating, I'll simply use that motherboard for my 5000M powered machine that wont boot with battery plugged in because of that dreaded "install a newer version of the battery" error, er, I mean, 'feature' (believe me, I've tried many batteries, all to no avail).

In other words, NO, I DON'T recommend updating, but that's just my experience.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk 2

10. HiddenUser

HiddenUser Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks for your fast reply. But I'm not interested in rolling back to a previous version if F.60A works fine. Anyone can tell me something about this version?

And a last question. I'm still using Windows 7 Pro 64 (stock OS). Can I upgrade to Windows 10 using stock HP drivers and tools? Would I have any issue?

Thanks again.