*HP EliteBook 8740w Owners Lounge - PART 2*

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by Aikimox, Sep 7, 2010.

?

What is your EliteBook 8740w config (select one from each category)?

1. Non-DreamColor 2 screen

96 vote(s)
    35.0%
  2. DreamColor 2 Screen

114 vote(s)
    41.6%
  3. Dual-core Processor

64 vote(s)
    23.4%
  4. Quad-core Processor

138 vote(s)
    50.4%
  5. ATI M7820 Graphics

123 vote(s)
    44.9%
  6. Nvidia FX 2800M

43 vote(s)
    15.7%
  7. Nvidia FX 3800M

47 vote(s)
    17.2%
  8. Nvidia FX 5000M

27 vote(s)
    9.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. knight427

knight427 theenemysgateisdown

Reputations:
    I'll be sure to let you know when it arrives (no ship date yet).

2. HiddenUser

HiddenUser Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @knight427:

Wooow, you have been VERY WELL compensated for :eek: Congrats, you have the (probably) BEST mobile graphics card in the market :p

A $4900 pre-config! :eek: Mamma mia! My CTO 8740w cost me ~$5674 and it's lower than yours! Damn HP! :D

Dude, Linux is an operating system much more efficient than Windows :) And if you customize your kernel and your modules, even more! ;)

3. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    Unfortunately, I'm not on the level of customising the kernel and modules :(
    That's the only reason (besides gaming :)) I stick to W7 mostly.

4. Siorah

Siorah Beware of Squirrels!

Reputations:
    i have a question for those very tech savvy.

I get the odd stop 0x124 bsod on the 2800M when i run any driver newer than the release driver for this machine. any updates from windows update, or the hp site seems to give me PCI-E errors.

any ideas?

I was just browsing the web earlier and it bsod'ed on me. also to top it off, some of my brushed alu on my palm rest is flecking off :(

sigh, not a good day

-- more info

my hp for some reason seems to continue to revert back to the microsoft driver for the chipset and more importantly the PCI-E root port 1 - d138 <--- thats the culprit for the bsod.

my sound is slurring now too, which is beginning to annoy me!! i'm reinstalling all drivers to see if i can bring something back.

very weird activity from my baby today

update 2---

well went through my device manager, to find - EVERY device was reverted back to its win 7 defaults! o_O; no idea what could have done this, though i did install some 'updates' from windows last night, only driver was the touchpad one. seems my laptop had a blonde moment and reverted everything back to defaults

no bsods so far, but if i get another one, i'm gonna be having words with hp! its good to be back with sound that doesn't slur lol.

5. branchingfactor

branchingfactor Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have an 8740w Win7 64-bit with the ATI M7820 and the latest 8.743.3.2-100724a1-103069C drivers from the HP web site. Unfortunately whenever I try to play a .mov or .mts file with WMP, the screen goes completely black a few times and then I get an error notice from WMP saying "Windows Media Player cannot play the video because there is a problem with your video card". Windows also displays a notice "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered".

The problem occurs for both low definition and high definition movies. I also get this problem when I try to play some (but not all) videos on youtube. I've never had this problem while playing netflix video.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Is this a problem with the ATI drivers or with my card itself?

Thanks!

P.S. Here's an example that can't be played:

iTunes Movie Trailers

6. valentino 46

valentino 46 Newbie

Reputations:
    I had the same problem a couple of times, only after I installed the new driver. It never happend with the old one. It's not the card itself that's causing the problem, it's a driver related issue.

7. Sotton

Sotton Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I have this problem, too, with my 8730w after a year of heavy use, so the 8740w did not improve if this happened after such a short time :mad:

Be careful with driver updates, however, I only have experience with XP 32 but sometimes deleting the NVIDIA driver first, reboot, and than installing them, reboot, helped, especially if you change between HP drivers and NVIDIA drivers.

same with the touchpad drivers...

8. willard

willard Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well it happened. my Nvidia card (3800) bit the dust. Crashing, lockups and just would not boot.
    Called HP, misdiagnosis on their part and the next day the tech replaced the main board, saw the video card was shot and the day after replaced it and just for good measure the CPU.
    So lets count this.

1 new main board
    1 new video card
    1 CPU
    all in 48 hours. now that is what I call service.

so for those of you who think HP suck for support, go buy a business notebook, better yet get the workstation model.

9. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    Totally agree.
    HP business warranty rocks! Even when they miss the target from the first shot. :p

10. trippiest1

trippiest1 Newbie

Reputations:
    I have a question regarding acquiring a DC2 (IPS) panel. I ordered mine with the regular 1680 x 1050 panel. I really, really want to replace it with the DC2 panel but I can't seem to find any info on the HP site on how exactly I would go about ordering this. Also, I just called HP sales and the salesperson said that the only way to get the DC2 for the 8740w is to custom order it that way. I told her I only need the panel and that I would replace it myself but she said it's not possible which is, of course, total BS. I've replaced display panels on, and completely rebuilt from the ground up, countless notebooks.

Anyway... anyone have a clue on how to go about ordering the DC2 bad boy separately?

By the way, sorry if this has been asked before... my search-fu came up empty on this though.