*HP EliteBook 8740w Owners Lounge - PART 2*

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by Aikimox, Sep 7, 2010.

?

What is your EliteBook 8740w config (select one from each category)?

1. Non-DreamColor2 screen

95 vote(s)
    34.9%
  2. DreamColor 2 Screen

114 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Dual-core Processor

63 vote(s)
    23.2%
  4. Quad-core Processor

137 vote(s)
    50.4%
  5. ATI M7820 Graphics

121 vote(s)
    44.5%
  6. Nvidia FX 2800M

43 vote(s)
    15.8%
  7. Nvidia FX 3800M

47 vote(s)
    17.3%
  8. Nvidia FX 5000M

27 vote(s)
    9.9%
  1. pipkata

pipkata Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello,
    This is the MOSFET BSZ130N03MS. The thing is that you would have to be very lucky if this GPU works again even if you change it. This is a high-side transistor, so if it blew-up, then the core or the memory most likely recieved 19V, which esentially fried it.

minimaster likes this.
  2. minimaster

minimaster Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks a lot.

3. Lwerewolf

Lwerewolf Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Soo, got the 940xm installed and preliminary testing results in ~2.3-4ghz on all cores using intelburntest (cores between 90-96, fan at max). With cs:go it went to 99 sometimes (usually 85-90) and maintained ~2.7GHz min on all cores pretty much all the time (that's over 2 competitive games, avg was ~3.1). I then played around with the GPU and managed to undervolt it by 0.0875 (core went to 0.900v loaded, saw a brief peak at 0.9125 for some reason).. and haven't really tested further. This is with TDP at 72/60 or so, ratios at 25/24/20/20 and Gelid GC-Xtreme as TIM. At least that's what I recall now that I'm not on the PC :)

triturbo likes this.
  4. triturbo

triturbo Long live 16:10 and MXM-B

Reputations:
    Awesome! Now post some benchies in the benchmark thread, so we can start a fight :D

@pipkata tried a TV tuner in the WWAN slot and it said "Wrong ID" or something like that, so I guess the WiFi is whitelisted as well. Anyway I'm looking at AzureWave AW-CB160H - 3x3 AC with BT 4.0, the thing is that the antennae connectors are smaller, but a little soldering or adapters would resolve that. Would give it a go someday, but not my priority and the whitelist is also something that stops me (hope that there is a workaround). Would try with a non-HP 6300AGN to see how it goes.

5. Lwerewolf

Reputations:
    Just tried IBT & FurMark running together (undervolted gpu) after about ~30min of intelburntest (70w average & 99(!)deg. max/97avg on all cores) + a 5min break to return temps to normal. The laptop powered off within a second of turning on furmark :D
    Tried reconnecting the PSU to the laptop and it started booting again, then shut down right after boot. Power supply's LED went off. Reconnected PSU to mains, boots now.

Bottom line is, I guess I need to get a beefier power supply. This was with the internal display at max brightness btw, at home I'm running on an external display with the lid closed so that's quite a bit of power saved.
    Alternatively, it could be the same problem that my motherboard has with running on battery (don't know the exact cause, but guessing that it's VRMs overheating when operating with ~ 12v input voltage from the battery under load).

EDIT 1:
    I've been running prime95 (instead of ibt/linkack) now for more than 15min, and the temps are staying at 89/88/87/89 (core1/2/3/4). That's at stock. Linpack(IBT) was pulling 95. I just did that to verify that I haven't messed up something with the cooling somewhere (comparing with @Siorah 's early benchmarks with the 940XM and 5000M).

Max temps thus far - 90/88/88/90, GC-Extreme thermal paste. I guess @Aikimox 's cooling mod is in order... I'm thinking about low profile heatsinks for the mosfets/PWM chips - perhaps even connecting them together via a single copper heatsink + attaching it to the cpu heatpipes (all w/ thermal tape probably). Could cure my issues under battery power as well if they're overheating + it's a good idea to do this anyways.

EDIT 2:
    Just tried furmark along with p95 (with cpu at stock) and... same result. I'll try it again when I get home, as I suspect that the screen is drawing too much power (given that a 17'' w-led 8-bit (maybe 6-bit+frc) 1920x1200 TN panel draws ~22w, an RGBLED-backlit 10-bit IPS with an A-TW polarizer... you guessed it). Power supply's LED just shuts down, requires to be unplugged from the mains for about 5-10sec to light up again.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2016
  6. 83bj60

83bj60 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You should avoid that...I noticed it tends to cook the hard drive... Been keeping the lid open since... Big difference! A lot of heat is shed by that palm rest!

Well I don't know about your setup but IMO the heat sinking of the video card isn't the best - they use these foam thingies on some components, how well can it work to shed the heat these monsters generate? The 5000M can easily consume 150 Watts under load, that thing's a real hot rod, the other cards aren't that much better! What do you expect cramming a workstation into a one inch think enclosure?!

I'm not sure how these test suites work, but under normal circumstances the laptop will force the CPU into low power mode if it detects the power supply can't cope... I've gotten used carrying my 200W power supply and use "The Monster" 230W for the docking station, no performance issues.

I suggest you look for the most powerful PS you can find (just be aware that the 230W PS is significantly larger than the 200W) - If you look around you can find them pretty cheap on eBay if you're patient (at least in the US), paid about $25 or so for each of mine, have two :D

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk 2

7. Lwerewolf

Reputations:
    That might actually be a good thing for SSDs while powered :)

The video card already has a sink on it, covering all major components (in my case - CPU & RAM with GC-Extreme paste, chokes/mosfets with thermal pads). I was talking about power delivery components on the motherboard. As for the thermal tape being ineffective - it's used by practically everybody for contact with power delivery components (by OEMs and aftermarket people), and there are multiple pro-thermal tape arguments specifically for components that don't have the heatsinks screwed in place.
    Also, it's a 780m (~k5000m), I would've stayed with the m7820/5870m otherwise ;)

I guess throttlestop might be preventing it from doing that.

I'll go with the 230w most likely, 50w extra should be more than enough of a leeway initially.

83bj60 likes this.
  8. 83bj60

83bj60 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    What would be the best way to transfer heat to the pad then, should I use thermal paste on them as well? That's what I did during my last cleaning and it was pretty messy ;) Or should it be replaced? It does get squished after all...

One thing I like about it is it hardly gets warm compared to the smaller PS... Maybe the ribbed surface help for cooling...

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk 2

9. triturbo

triturbo Long live 16:10 and MXM-B

Reputations:
    That's essential if you're planning to stress the machine with these parts, that's what I'll do as well.

It's 30W at max, that's by specs and the display only, the color board might add another 5W, not sure.

10. Lwerewolf

Reputations:
    yup I saw those specs too, but I'm wondering if they're a bit off.. or perhaps IPS's aren't as inefficient as I thought.