*HP EliteBook 8740w Owners Lounge - PART 2*

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by Aikimox, Sep 7, 2010.

?

What is your EliteBook 8740w config (select one from each category)?

1. Non-DreamColor2 screen

95 vote(s)
    34.9%
  2. DreamColor 2 Screen

114 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Dual-core Processor

63 vote(s)
    23.2%
  4. Quad-core Processor

137 vote(s)
    50.4%
  5. ATI M7820 Graphics

121 vote(s)
    44.5%
  6. Nvidia FX 2800M

43 vote(s)
    15.8%
  7. Nvidia FX 3800M

47 vote(s)
    17.3%
  8. Nvidia FX 5000M

27 vote(s)
    9.9%
  1. KarelR

KarelR Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Why do you need to cool it ? you get errors ?

I have the same dock and everything is fine. Remember that in the bios you set the "fan always on" while plugged in.

2. NotebookGrail

NotebookGrail Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I don't remember anyone posting the Aug 3(not sure when it was actually available) driver link before.

3. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    So maybe I wasn't totally delusional yesterday :)
    Anyway, the last driver from the HP drivers page is ver.8.743.3.1. Check your version in CCC and update if necessary.

@KarelR,
    How's the extreme CPU? The temps?
    I wonder how much hotter than non-xtreme processors does it run?

4. improwise

improwise Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    (I searched but could not find a "buyers guide" thread so this one seemed the most appropriate, please let me know if this post is not in the right place. Thanks.)

Hi guys, need som buying advice. I am a software developer looking for a 17" laptop with best possible performance spec which makes me interested in the 8740w. A few things has me thinking though:

GPU.
    I very seldom do any gaming or any other kind of work that requires any serious GPU power at all, which graphics card should I go for? If it was only a matter of price, I wouldn't mind buying the most expensive one, but I guess that it is also a matter of battery life, power consumption, heat and need for a larger than life charger etc. I *NEVER* do any AutoCAD or similar.

Screen.
    I spend more hours in front of my laptop that I wish to think about, so I want a screen that looks and feels really good, but since I dont do any graphical work, color matching, oversaturation etc. really isnt a problem. Is the DreamColor mainly intended for these requirements, and so isn't really worth paying extra for in my case?

HDD
    I notice that HP doesnt seem to have SSDs in even their most expensive pre-configurations ($US4000+) even though the laptop itself must be targeted at customers willing to pay, is that something that should make you considering not going for an SSD, which would otherwise seem like a logical choice if performance is a major concern, and price really isn't (meaing, I'm prepared to pay for stuff I really need/want, but no point in paying to much of course)

Thank you in advance for any comments, pointers etc in regards to this!

5. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    @improwise,

GPU, - go for M7820. It's the best option in terms of max performance, min price, least current consumption and heat. Since you don't need CUDA and won't be using Nvidia preferred apps - there's no question - M7820, hands down.

Screen, - DC2 is not only about colors, it's also about viewing angles. I'm a software developer and do think that the screen is the best investment and the main reason for buying this system. You won't regret spending extra for it. There's no better screen currently available for laptops.

HDD, - go for a regular HDD. Since money isn't a huge problem for you, wait till December, when Intel rolls out their G3, - a new gen of SSD's with up to 600GB and a performance boost.

6. RampageII

RampageII Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    * Get the ATI card. Not only is it the most affordable, it's also one of the best performers.

** My recommendation would definitely be to get the standard WUXGA 1920x1200 display. However, if you want to save some cash or have trouble seeing small text, perhaps the lower resolution WXGA display is better suited.
    Most (not all) of the people on this thread that have Dreamcolor display did not buy because it's essential for the the work they do.
    They paid the premium mainly because they figured their video games would look cooler in a professional laptop with in 10-bit color.

But don't tell that to Aikimox though. LOL :laugh:

*** I would just get the cheapest HDD HP offers and use the savings towards a SSD of your choice. By far the best upgrade you can make to your laptop.

I much rather spend my money on 2 SSD and set them in RAID0 than on a pretty-looking screen. Matter of fact, that's what I did. :yes:

I use my laptop to run CFD simulations, not to play video games. But that's just me.
    You dont' need pretty-looking colors for engineering work. :laugh:

7. Koshinn

Koshinn Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Do you really think that?

8. RampageII

RampageII Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    "HP 8740w: i7-840QM, ATi AMD FirePro M7820, 8GB RAM, DC2"
    "Playing: DotA (WC3:TFT), SSF4, L4D2, L4D, Empire: Total War, Counter Strike: Source, Marvel - Ultimate Alliance, Age of Conan, Starcraft 2" :eek: :eek:

I don't know, call it a hunch.... LMAO :laugh:

9. Koshinn

Koshinn Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Jobs: Active duty military, graphic design on the side
    Hobbies: Digital photography (12mp DSLR + Photoshop CS5), video creation/editing, painting, programming, and of course, gaming

:laugh: You mistakenly assumed causation because of correlation. A common mistake, but one that people really should stop making; it makes them look foolish.

Oh and I watch a lot of tv/movies on my computer, which definitely benefit from the wide viewing angles and 100% sRGB.

10. NotebookGrail

NotebookGrail Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @RampageII, did you try the SSD power management tweaks discussed in this thread. I am almost getting close to double the 4K values in SSD benches and real world.
    View attachment 55735