*HP EliteBook 8740w Owners Lounge - PART 2*

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by Aikimox, Sep 7, 2010.

?

What is your EliteBook 8740w config (select one from each category)?

1. Non-DreamColor2 screen

95 vote(s)
    34.9%
  2. DreamColor 2 Screen

114 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Dual-core Processor

63 vote(s)
    23.2%
  4. Quad-core Processor

137 vote(s)
    50.4%
  5. ATI M7820 Graphics

121 vote(s)
    44.5%
  6. Nvidia FX 2800M

43 vote(s)
    15.8%
  7. Nvidia FX 3800M

47 vote(s)
    17.3%
  8. Nvidia FX 5000M

27 vote(s)
    9.9%
  1. knight427

knight427 theenemysgateisdown

Reputations:
    It wouldn't hurt to ask. It might help if you directed the seller to the safest shipping method.

2. Sotton

Sotton Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    good point, however, I had a few problems in the past with external USB cases so that is the main reason for me to ask, the HW of these external cases seems to be restricted

3. zone66x

zone66x Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I found a pretty cheap backlit keyboard on Ebay for the 8740w. Only GPB 9.85 with free international shipping! The only drawback is that it's an Arabic keyboard but it does have all the characters as a normal US keyboard as well. It sure beats paying over $100 US for the US backlit keyboard. Could be a good thing as well if you feel like learning Arabic lol.

HP EliteBook 8740W BLACK Backlit(With Point stick) Arabic Keyboard NSK-HQ0BV 9Z. | eBay

4. rahasyavadi

rahasyavadi Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It ended up going for US $1,895.00 + $20.00 shipping. The "R" at the end of the product # definitely indicates that it is a factory refurb.

5. Molvol

Molvol Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I have a curious problem. A harddrive from an 8740w that is drive-locked. Before I sent the 8740w away I reset all the passwords to blank and deactivated "automatic drivelock" and I removed the HDD. Unfortunately as I found out HERE just resetting the BIOS passwords does not reset and blank the HDD password.

Now I have an unusable 500GB Hitachi drive. I put it into other HP machines and they tell me that automatic drivelock was activated. However, entering the bios passwords does not help at all. I suspect HP generates a password for automatic drivelock depending on the mainboard and bios password. It isn't random since there were no issues after a mainboard exchange (the same tags were entered). But it definitely doesn't work across different systems - not the ones I have available anyway.

Does anyone know the algorithm used? I certainly know the only bios admin password ever used on the 8740w. Can a HP technician help? I might be able to ask one for a favor. Looks like I have a high-tech paperweight now. Another stupid, badly implemented automatism that cost me time and money :-(

6. wowbrandon

wowbrandon Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi all,
    I have my 8740w and oh my goodness is it awesome ang big!
    I got the i7 940x 2.13 proc with 16gb ram and the ati 7820 card It's an awesome machine but I really need to downgrade to an easier to lug around laptop. Does anyone know the best way to sell an special laptop like this with the extreme i7 proc and what not? Also what should I expect to get for it? It'll have the 9 cell extended battery and the advanced docking station from HP. Thanks for your help :)

7. knight427

knight427 theenemysgateisdown

Reputations:
    Do you have a DreamColor screen? I'm thinking you might do better parting out the 940xm. Buy yourself a 740qm and swap them out. Of course if it is still under warranty, this would void the warranty which doe reduce the selling price a bit.

8. HiddenUser

HiddenUser Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm not a HP technician, but I think you have your drive LOCKED with an ATA password set by DriveLock. Many BIOSes set an ATA password when you set an access password. I don't know if this is the case of HP, but I think it may be (I don't use the DriveLock feature nor any security feature of my 8740w).

On this scenario, the drive is not accessible by any means, but you could try the HDAT2 tool. It's the non-professional lowest level tool available for hard drives without assistance of special hardware (like the PC3000 UDMA controller and the like, a professional and very expensive hardware). The 4.9 Beta 1 release claims it can retrieve master ATA passwords for several hard drive manufacturers (AFAIK, older versions cannot do that, notice this). Depending on the security level of the password set by DriveLock, you'll need to FULLY ERASE your drive or not. If security is MAX you'll loose all your content if you want to retrieve your drive. If not, you'll be able to unlock the drive with either the master or user password.

You should carry out this task on a non-HP computer (better if it's a clone one, with no brand). Connect your drive with a SATA cable to a SATA port of your motherboard on that computer and boot the system with the ISO image available on the HDAT2's website. Then read CAREFULLY page 72 of the User Manual available on that website (chapter M8 "Security Menu"). If in doubt, DO NOT TRY ANYTHING IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING. Be careful, this program is VERY DANGEROUS and if it's misused, it can RUIN YOUR DRIVE. As a last resort, you can go to a Data Recovery professional in order to unlock your drive (it's not cheap though and you'll need to prove the property of your drive).

If you need further assistance with HDAT2 and ATA password unlocking in general, read THIS and/or ask your question in HDAT2 forums. The developer himself will kindly help you at no cost.

I hope this helps

9. HiddenUser

HiddenUser Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hi guys,

I have noticed the third button of my TouchStick is getting loose. The left and middle buttons are firmly tight but the right one wobbles from left to right. This is my second top cover with this issue. I don't know if this is a design flaw or if I just have bad luck.

Anyone experiencing this?

Thank you in advance.

10. listeur

listeur Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    HP sent me a ES nvidia 5000m- fan runs a constant 100% anyone know if this can be converted to a true 5000m prod model with vbios update? It works ok, except for the random blue screen on various games... perhaps I should have hp exchange it?