*HP EliteBook 8740w Owners Lounge - PART 2*

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by Aikimox, Sep 7, 2010.

?

What is your EliteBook 8740w config (select one from each category)?

1. Non-DreamColor2 screen

95 vote(s)
    34.9%
  2. DreamColor 2 Screen

114 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Dual-core Processor

63 vote(s)
    23.2%
  4. Quad-core Processor

137 vote(s)
    50.4%
  5. ATI M7820 Graphics

121 vote(s)
    44.5%
  6. Nvidia FX 2800M

43 vote(s)
    15.8%
  7. Nvidia FX 3800M

47 vote(s)
    17.3%
  8. Nvidia FX 5000M

27 vote(s)
    9.9%
  1. Siorah

Siorah Beware of Squirrels!

Reputations:
    newest one from nvidia is recommended.

I've not been about - hence the drop in activity! but yea, for 2800m its newest driver, as it fixes a lot of runtime issues if you are using CS5.5

2. Mike of the Desert

Mike of the Desert Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    :p
    That is found under 3800m drivers if I'm correct. Thanks. ;)
    I'll send you a PM about a particular question I have, if you don't mind. ;]

3. Koshinn

Koshinn Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    By the way, I have my 8740w with me in Afghanistan. It survived combat training, a C130 ride, a C17 ride, and lots and lots of walking around. I'm using one of the seagate hybrid ssd/hdd drives too. Oh, it has also survived the dust very well.

4. jet757f

jet757f Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Just bought a 8740w with the ATI 7820 Dreamcolor.

Is there anyway of turning down the color with just the ATI control panel?
    I have been able to do this with other high color gamut monitors that I own without have to go through a full color calibration.

Nevermind found the Saturation Control which takes care of the problem.

5. sgtpepperaut

sgtpepperaut Newbie

Reputations:
    hey been reading through like 30 pages and cant find a solution to my problem maybe somebody can give me some pointers :)

i am suffering from the crash after resuming from sleep problem that i have seen discussed in here but have not been able to resolve the problem.

Also my standby option is not showing. queering the command line i get that S1 and S2 modes are not available. :(

hope anybody can help me out. stupid hp support just wants to take my notebook in when its more then likely just a software issue...

thx for any help - phil

6. HiddenUser

HiddenUser Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You should use the Mobile Display Assistant utility for the DreamColor panel instead. If you have very saturated reds and greens, it's likely you currently have the Full Native color space selected (factory default). In MDA, just select the sRGB color space and you'll see more natural colors.

Do you have Intel Rapid Storage Technology drivers installed? If not, this may be the issue. You can download the drivers here.

7. Molvol

Molvol Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    What reduced my wakeup crashes extremly was hotfix 2601456:
    Device Manager does not display a drive after you hot-swap the drive between slots on a PCI-E switch in Windows 7 or in Windows Server 2008 R2

I have had a few crashes since, but it is definitely better. Even though the Hotfix seems to have nothing to do with this issue. It replaces acpi.sys and that was my cause for the crashes.

8. stug

stug Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    What drivers should I install for the 2800M, the "verde" or the "Quadro Notebook"?

Excuse me, I asked the same question in another thread, but I think this is the right one.

9. jet757f

jet757f Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm having a hard time really liking this Dreamcolor IPS display.
    It is really hard to get the right color adjustments.
    The Mobile Display Assistant is almost useless. It doesn't let you adjust the individual colors or saturation. I have to use the ATI control panel.

I have had this same experience with other LG panels.
    The LG panel was the bad one on the Dell XPS M1730 too and seemed to exhibit simliar characteristics just like this one. My XPS M1730 with the Samsung panel seems to look better that this one.

I have the IBM T60P with the IPS panel and the colors are beautiful and really don't even need to be adjusted. Are there any notebook computers made today with IPS panels not made by LG?

10. Sotton

Sotton Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I think the Samsung Series 9 900X3B has a Samsung PLS screen (1600x900) which is kind of IPS (or better) and I hope to see higher resolution from Samsung with this technique.