*HP EliteBook 8740w Owners Lounge - PART 2*

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by Aikimox, Sep 7, 2010.

?

What is your EliteBook 8740w config (select one from each category)?

1. Non-DreamColor2 screen

95 vote(s)
    34.9%
  2. DreamColor 2 Screen

114 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Dual-core Processor

63 vote(s)
    23.2%
  4. Quad-core Processor

137 vote(s)
    50.4%
  5. ATI M7820 Graphics

121 vote(s)
    44.5%
  6. Nvidia FX 2800M

43 vote(s)
    15.8%
  7. Nvidia FX 3800M

47 vote(s)
    17.3%
  8. Nvidia FX 5000M

27 vote(s)
    9.9%
  1. HiddenUser

HiddenUser Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    This bug is fixed in F.0B BIOS. I don't want to think this bug reappeared in F.21 BIOS but who knows. If you have a version < F.0B update now with the provided link. If you're currently with F.20 or F.21 you CANNOT downgrade to F.0B.

I'm starting to think the F.2x branch is not very stable at this moment, and hence HP provides the link to the old F.0B BIOS on the same support page. Until HP doesn't remove the link to F.0B I won't update (and I would not recommend to anyone). I currently have F.0B with no issues so far (using Win7).

2. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    I remember having boot to black issues when I had my machine, mostly when switching from battery to PSU often but it was fixed by one of the BIOS updates.

3. Molvol

Molvol Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Can anyone tell me about experience with 65W or 90W power adapters. As mentioned here http://forum.notebookreview.com/hp-...0w-owners-lounge-part-2-a-36.html#post6757164
    it should be possible.
    However I have two 65W adapters and the 8740w rejects them.

Totally sad having to replace my great 8710w. With 8740w I have no choice but Win7 and been dealing for days with technology that just doesn't allow the user to do what he wants and is possible.

The power assistant shows less than 65W and I want to use it. Any way to cheat the laptop into accepting it?

4. Siorah

Siorah Beware of Squirrels!

Reputations:
    If you are running bios F.2x that will be a no. I am not sure why HP took away the support for the power monitor circuit to support the 65/90w PSU's, but there must have been a reason.

You can run Windows XP quite comfortably with the 8740W, my machine came with discs for it, so i'm not sure why you are having issues. XP is quite stable (surprisingly!) but it does NOT like usb3 devices very much.

Sio

5. Siorah

Siorah Beware of Squirrels!

Reputations:
    Agreed. F.08-F.0A were the most stable Bios Releases.

I am not having any issues on F.21, but got SSM'ed at work to it, (sigh) so no choice there, but for users that really have no issues, there isn't a need to update yet.

Sio

6. VisionLight

VisionLight Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Under Win7 Professional (or Ultimate), you can also run WinXP as a VM using Windows Virtual PC. This is what I do for old apps that I still need that do not run in Win7. It works great. Windows Virtual PC is a free download from Microsoft. Just remember that you must maintain WinXP updates and security in VM separately from Win7.

7. Molvol

Molvol Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I'm running F.0B updated from F.0A and cannot use a 65W. When I plug in under Win7 a message pops up and if plugged in powered off the power LED flashes quickly a few times and goes out - no charging.

I really wonder where the problem lies - is it an even older BIOS? Maybe I have a newer hardware revision? Can you confirm it's working with yours?

I know I can run XP which I originally planned on doing. But 16GB of RAM I cannot leave unused and haven't found anything important not running with 7 yet. Times change and I have to adapt. Fortunately there's Classic Shell, Explorer++ and other helpers out there. With all that I may be able to work in Win7. However today I saved a file on system32 and I can't find it even though Windows says it's there. I don't know where it is.

8. niffcreature

niffcreature ex computer dyke

Reputations:
    Can someone please upload or link to the firepro m7820 vBIOS??

Thanks!

9. tonik4

tonik4 Newbie

Reputations:
    Any news on the DC "Rainbow effect" discussed here by Cook2 & others? I can see it too on my 8560w, is there a solution?

10. ProdTog

ProdTog Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If this is what you are referring to, the only fix that I'm aware of is to increase the brightness of your display to the fullest amount. At that level (at least on my 8740), the LEDs are synchronized to the point that the colors are diminished.